Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up - and looking at post #410 you really do have inspiration right outside the window! :O

Anything from the hourly Clitheroe-Manchester DMU in the hands of 150/153/156 with irregular 142's. 158/153 on the Sunday Dalesrail. Freights with DRS 6K05 (66 usually, but 57 and 37 at times), Freightliner 6M11 - 66, EWS/DBS gypsum - 66 and Clitheroe cement - 66. Colas logs with 56 or 66 and a random 70. S&C routed railtours with various steam and diesel traction - recently it's been WCRC 57/3's. RHTT's in the coming months with DRS - usually a pair of 66, but can be 57 or 37. Next week should see a 68 on driver/route training. Engineering trains with 66/60, yellow stuff with 31/37, And at least twice this year, HM Lizzie with 67's on the Royal train.

On a good day, there's three freights in 20 minutes with three FOC's.

In previous years, it was a WCML diversion route, so 47's were common on Mk2/3 sets, most (if not all?) of the Voyager fleet and a fair few 57-hauled Pendolinos have been past my house.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

This is going to be brilliant Mick!

Really loving the track layout, and one day you would have had to make a model of it....after all it is the home of all things yellow!

You've probably seen it, but this Flickr member's photo stream has loads of pics of Derby RTC on it, and ATM, you'll need BR blue 37401!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

This is going to be brilliant Mick!

Really loving the track layout, and one day you would have had to make a model of it....after all it is the home of all things yellow!

You've probably seen it, but this Flickr member's photo stream has loads of pics of Derby RTC on it, and ATM, you'll need BR blue 37401!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Yes thanks for the flickr link. I regularly see his pics on my weekly or so Derby picture searches.

I already have 31106, but no LL blue loco yet - 401 could be a good option!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 4 weeks later...

Quote 'Just wait until you see the wiring on DL.................  :drink_mini:

Cheers,

Mick' UNquote

You promised me wiring....and not a sniff of it......post 143 does NOT count....it really doesn't..... :nono:

come on divvy up........slowcoach.....tortoise....... :blum:

edit= and if you start talking chocolate blocks.....it better be Cadburys :jester:

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

Quote 'Just wait until you see the wiring on DL.................  :drink_mini:

Cheers,

Mick' UNquote

You promised me wiring....and not a sniff of it......post 143 does NOT count....it really doesn't..... :nono:

come on divvy up........slowcoach.....tortoise....... :blum:

edit= and if you start talking chocolate blocks.....it better be Cadburys :jester:

I didn't promise - I said "just wait................" :declare:

I have the before pic - I need to do an after pic, but I haven't got to "after" yet.......

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

You promised me wiring....

Finally.... over the last few days I've been busy with the soldering iron - four boards have been completed, but this is probably the most complex of the four.

The wiring is soldered into place. There are actually 4 "bus" systems. 1 - main line, 2 - yard, 3 - point decoders DCC signal, 4 - point decoders power. Believe it or not, there is a colour code.

post-408-0-44136000-1412461715_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-21839100-1412461721_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-03722700-1412461727_thumb.jpg

Once I'm happy with that the wiring is basically complete and a few simple tests with a continuity meter to check things, then it's out with the ty-raps.

post-408-0-86093200-1412461732_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-23219400-1412461738_thumb.jpg

Multi-pin connectors between the boards have also been installed, using conectors from Maplin. As there's not too many wires between boards, I've used the 4/6/8 way connectors with part numbers; FK29G/FK30H, FM54J/FK26D, FM52G/FK24B as they have decent current carrying capacity. If  need more than 8 ways, I've doubled up on the connectors.

The plan is to keep the track and points with seperate DCC circuits, so that if a short occrs, it won't shut down the whole layout (from experience, shorts are usually caused by incorrect point setting and running stock over the offending point....). I've also allowed for two power zones for the track - main line and yard, so that a problem in one area won't stop the other section working. I'll be using a DCC concepts PSX2 to seperate the to zones from the track DCC feed.

Cheers,

Mick

EDIT: typo correction

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

...they have decent currying capacity.

What's that then? Is that the measure people from Brum use? :jester:

Seriously great work though, be great to see it 'in the flesh' when you've got it running!

Thanks,

Jack.

Finally.... over the last few days I've been busy with the soldering iron - four boards have been completed, but this is probably the most complex of the four.

The wiring is soldered into place. There are actually 4 "bus" systems. 1 - main line, 2 - yard, 3 - point decoders DCC signal, 4 - point decoders power. Believe it or not, there is a colour code.

attachicon.gifwiring1.jpg

attachicon.gifwiring2.jpg

attachicon.gifwiring3.jpg

Once I'm happy with that the wiring is basically complete and a few simple tests with a continuity meter to check things, then it's out with the ty-raps.

attachicon.gifwiring4.jpg

attachicon.gifwiring5.jpg

Multi-pin connectors between the boards have also been installed, using conectors from Maplin. As there's not too many wires between boards, I've used the 4/6/8 way connectors with part numbers; FK29G/FK30H, FM54J/FK26D, FM52G/FK24B as they have decent current carrying capacity. If  need more than 8 ways, I've doubled up on the connectors.

The plan is to keep the track and points with seperate DCC circuits, so that if a short occrs, it won't shut down the whole layout (from experience, shorts are usually caused by incorrect point setting and running stock over the offending point....). I've also allowed for two power zones for the track - main line and yard, so that a problem in one area won't stop the other section working. I'll be using a DCC concepts PSX2 to seperate the to zones from the track DCC feed.

Cheers,

Mick

Kal often puts his 'controllers'  on small 9mm boards made from offcuts, and often hangs them, this might be incase he or I  accidentally drill through later and damage them..... but with your exhibition experience keeping them neatly against the board makes sense. Kal also uses tortoises. And occasionally has to replace the moving part (very technical term LOL) with piano wire to extend the reach.

med_gallery_17883_3125_305871.jpgrmweb3064control

if they ever need to be moved, as he has a tendency to change his mind this makes life a lot easier as well

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now that the rush of the NEC demo and New Bryford at Warley is out of the way, I'm planning to spend some time on DL.

I've measured up for the two large buildings and drawn a few sketches. These will be forwarded to my friendly laser cutter in the next day or so, along with a few pictures, to turn into actual structures.

Scan0010.jpg.cef8d62c800d267984f549e2b2205b95.jpg

Scan0009.jpg.a05d29b381f1656056b264178ce8f4ea.jpg

Scan0008.jpg.260ad0a98969fe2e57c99e3fb757077e.jpg

Scan0011.jpg.a02428e1492fd4702997d2ec78f6c60b.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

attachicon.gifwiring1.jpg

attachicon.gifwiring2.jpg

attachicon.gifwiring3.jpg

attachicon.gifwiring4.jpg

attachicon.gifwiring5.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

I see you've used ESU switchpilots with the Tortoises. I though they were only good for solenoid motors, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

John P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

I see you've used ESU switchpilots with the Tortoises. I though they were only good for solenoid motors, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

John P

Hi John,

I did some testing before deciding on the switchpilot. I've set the pulse time to as long as possible

CV's 3,4,5,6, all set to 31, which gives 31x65msec = 2.6 sec, which is enough to throw a Tortoise. Although the motor then "relaxes" as power is cut off, there's still enough throw to hold the blades across. I've even got a couple of crossover pairs, where one output feeds two motors.

It does need a pair of resistors on the output of the switchpilot.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Now that the rush of the NEC demo and New Bryford at Warley is out of the way, I'm planning to spend some time on DL.

You must of been sleepy last night Mick. You took new bryford to Wakefield. Still looking good thou

Two long weekends....... Now for two days of golf!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2014 at 21:31, newbryford said:

Two long weekends....... Now for two days of golf!

Cheers,

Mick

And the evening in between has been used to test DL.

I managed to put up the two main pointwork boards in the conservatory - hence the mess underneath as it all got shoved to one side. These two boards carry all bar one of the main layout pointwork.

This is the first time that two boards have been plugged together and powered up. Previous tests have been with a multimeter.

Most pleased as it all worked first time. The only minor issue was a crossover pair that needed one motor supply swapped over. In my defence, it was a pair wired across the baseboards.

Honours went to RVEL's resident shunter 08417 to be the first loco. I deliberately chose a short wheelbase in case there were any gaps in the wiring.

DSCF0292.JPG.2ede8a713424f652cd907921b08c76b9.JPG

I used my Lenz system for the test and simply linked the 4 "bus" pairs together to power up the point decoders.

I can now proceed with filling in the sleepers across the joints and painting the rail sides on these two boards.

Cheers,

Mick

DSCF0292.JPG

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

I managed to put up the two main pointwork boards in the conservatory - hence the mess underneath as it all got shoved to one side. These two boards carry all bar one of the main layout pointwork.

This is the first time that two boards have been plugged together and powered up. Previous tests have been with a multimeter.

Most pleased as it all worked first time. The only minor issue was a crossover pair that needed one motor supply swapped over. In my defence, it was a pair wired across the baseboards.

Honours went to RVEL's resident shunter 08417 to be the first loco. I deliberately chose a short wheelbase in case there were any gaps in the wiring.

attachicon.gifDSCF0292.JPG

I used my Lenz system for the test and simply linked the 4 "bus" pairs together to power up the point decoders.

I can now proceed with filling in the sleepers across the joints and painting the rail sides on these two boards.

Cheers,

Mick

clever idea

Hi John,

I did some testing before deciding on the switchpilot. I've set the pulse time to as long as possible

CV's 3,4,5,6, all set to 31, which gives 31x65msec = 2.6 sec, which is enough to throw a Tortoise. Although the motor then "relaxes" as power is cut off, there's still enough throw to hold the blades across. I've even got a couple of crossover pairs, where one output feeds two motors.

It does need a pair of resistors on the output of the switchpilot.

Cheers,

Mick

Are you using turnouts with "snap over" spring throw bars?  Otherwise I'd be rather worried about the vibration of the running trains, gradually letting the points re-open.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Are you using turnouts with "snap over" spring throw bars?  Otherwise I'd be rather worried about the vibration of the running trains, gradually letting the points re-open.

Andy

The Tortoise has about 25-30% overthrow for the Peco point - it probably drops back about 5% when switched off. The over centre springs have been removed and there is still considerable tension to hold the blades in place.

Have you tried to back-throw a Tortoise using the wire? Pretty impossible in my experience. It needs quite a bit of effort to move a dead tortoise by pushing on the output boss and I'm sure that the puny weight of a few model trains running over it isn't going to move it.

Plan B would be NCE switch-its if it ever proved to be a problem.

Cheers,

Mick

attachicon.gifDSCF0292.JPG

Cheers,

Mick

Have you got any close up [ish] detailed shots of the rail joins across from one board to the other ..  pretty please  ....    :angel:

When [beginning to suspect - if] the Boards arrive for building, the current thoughts are for 15 such cross-join events      .....    :scratchhead:   ............   it would be nice to get them right

.............   even without the branch there are still 11  .....    thoughts, at the moment tend towards inserting a small length of track, so as to spread any alignment differences, rather than attempt to butt the ends on each board

Hi Mick

Really looking forward to seeing you progressing with this layout. The perfect location to show off all your lovely yellow stock. Driving past the real place regularly (rail side) it's always a bit of a haven for some interesting traction which is good for a bit of variety on a layout.

The other good point is the variety of traffic that also passes by on the mainline which will add even more to the operating interest.

Two pairs of Class 20s sandwiching a couple of tank wagons driven by a fat bloke would be very prototypical. LOL.

Nice work so far and the wiring looks very neat and professional.

Keep up the good work.

Marcus.

• Like 1