Sherlock

Geoffrey

Did anybody watch this tonight.?.Again ,as mentioned in other topics I wish the programme makers would get the details correct regarding the types of trains.Tube trains running on the District !.It's only a small point but it spoilt it a little bit. Still good shots of Westminster and I think the old Aldwych branch.

Ha, the thread so far sums up exactly what I thought.

First, District line CCTV clearly Charing Cross, even had Mr Holmes standing on the static escalators there...!

Second - access to disused station also through charing cross - I noted some filming there about 4-5 months ago, including some odd signs on the old lift-shaft passage grills on the walkway to the Northern Line platforms...

Third - you can't just uncouple a single car of a modern day tube train, especially the end car- unless it was Standard Stock... which it wasn't. Surely Sherlock would have done his homework. Semi-permanent bar couplings on the D stock, and '96 stock.

Fourth - as noted tube stock on the district. OK technically possible, but unless its '38 stock railtour, no passengers!

Fifth, finding a '72 stock down in a disused station, climbing in and cutting to a D stock (which seemed to have a representation of enlarged tunnel rings outside its window, likely a sop to continuity having filmed in a tube tunnel)

Sixth, a long shot to detach a carriage at a disused station. Unless we're talking an entire disused branch, or a long crossover or headshunt (e.g. Archway) stations don't allow room to store bits of rolling stock.

But agreed, nice shots of Aldwych.

And yes my first thoughts of the layout in the background were Abbey Road, although iPlayer needed for better look! 

Railway issues aside, great watching!

O/T

Film makers have a tendency to take shortcuts when it comes to Railways. Only two weeks ago there was some WCRC stock stabled in P1 at King's Cross. I asked what they had been filming. Can't remember the show, but it was for a WW2 evacuation scene. I bit my tongue to avoid pointing out that the carriages they had been filming were at least 12 years too young. Gap in the market for a heritage railway to register a pre-war set for the ML, if just for ECS for filming...

Yes, Abbey Road. See screen shot below. about 5 seconds before, you can even glimpse the 'Abbey Road' mock street sign on the front of the layout!

Mods please remove if I'm doing anything naughty. But in my defence iplayer happily let me take a screen shot (unlike Windows Media Player). Full rights for the contents of the image below belong to the BBC.

post-4226-0-79296700-1388621541_thumb.jpg

I don't think I'll be upsetting anyone here,

but I can confirm that it is Abbey Road.

John told me last year that the BBC had

asked him and they were just sorting out

details/expenses (it was filmed in Cardiff).

I also noticed the continuity (or lack of) with

respect to the stock and tunnel issues.

Maybe they should have offered John a job

as an adviser!

Apart from that, I enjoyed seeing the start of

the new series, even if it is only 3 episodes.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I thought that a nice touch was the scene with Holmes' parents who were actually his real parents, Wanda Ventham (who I always had a soft spot for backalong!) and Timothy Carlton (Cumberbach).

Programme makers will always get 'railway' scenes wrong, but hey... the average viewer wouldn't know the difference. Many times on Poirot (and others) awful mistakes and 'wrong' trains are shown.

It's something that we just have to live with...(unfortunately!)

A slick programme, if a bit puzzling at times, was enjoyable nonetheless!

I thought that a nice touch was the scene with Holmes' parents who were actually his real parents, Wanda Ventham (who I always had a soft spot for backalong!) and Timothy Carlton (Cumberbach).

Programme makers will always get 'railway' scenes wrong, but hey... the average viewer wouldn't know the difference. Many times on Poirot (and others) awful mistakes and 'wrong' trains are shown.

A slick programme, if a bit puzzling at times, was enjoyable nonetheless!

….and Mary is Martin Freeman's partner in real life...

Quite a family gathering. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/sherlocks-amanda-abbington-admits-partner-martin-freeman-is-one-of-her-favourite-actors-9030613.html

This episode is repeated on Bbc3 at Fri Jan 3rd at 9pm,clashes with new episode of James may's toy stories featuring a meccano motorbike!!

B*gger... Sherlock or James May's Toy Stories...? I think it might have to be the Meccano bike. I would record Sherlock but I'm not sure it's worth it just for a fleeting glimpse of Abbey Road. Our Sky box hard drive is down to 4% thanks to SWMBO's addiction to recording every episode of Only Fools and Horses shown over the Christmas period plus Call The Midwife, 8 episodes of Big Fat Gypsy Benefit Cheats or whatever it's called... etc etc etc... I never should have thrown out the VHS top-loader...

• RMweb Premium

The problem though generally with this type of mystery-solving programme (Jonathan Creek is another example), is that I often spot some form of 'continuity/set error' (not necessarily railway related) which I ignore as problems relating to finding a real location which is exactly as required, or (as in the Sherlock episode) obtaining film of the named location and the correct rolling stock.

Having set aside the errors, I find later on that one of them is the minor detail noticed by the protagonist which triggers the great leap forward in the solution of the mystery.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Even by usual TV/film standards, this one was an absolute shocker in its treatment of railway reality! What is to be gained by using several different types of train?

They only needed the D stock (correct for District Line) and a bit of mock-up tunnel constructed somewhere at one of the LUL depots.

The story itself, detaching a carriage in the middle of a long 5 minute journey from Westminster to St James Park was just daft.

Did anyone notice the name of the closed station mentioned? Sumatra Road.

And another big continuity error. He commandeered a scooter and then rode to Watson's rescue on a motorbike.

Yes, I noticed the reference to Sumatra Road.  I'm sure that wasn't the other layout in the flat though.

Definitely less than full marks to the writer/production team as Westminster is on the Jubilee Line, not very far from the disused or seldom-used bit of Charing Cross station on the same line.

Chris

you don't think she's referring to us do you?

Second item down this page

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/05/housing-benefits-and-private-landlords

Barbara Ellen "Sorry to break it to you, chaps, but Sherlock is fiction"

Sherlock fiction? We'll be told next that it's not possible for blue telephone boxes to be bigger on the inside than they are on the outside!

Archived