BRM - February 2014

SteveCole

Perhaps we should take a lesson from Hitler, Stain etc and rewrite history lest we offend any sensitive souls? As far as the Great Train Robbery is concerned, it's history... it happened, so it has been modelled and modelled very well indeed. I simply do not understand the objections...

Maybe we should ban those modelling First World War trench railways out of respect for the millions that died?

Send the Hellingly Hospital Railway to landfill on account that modelling a sanatorium might be considered bad taste?

Dear oh dear...

Edited even though I'm sure you know I meant Stalin, not Stain...

Send the Hellingly Hospital Railway to landfill on account that modelling a sanatorium might be considered bad taste?

That has an exemption on the basis that its owner is one of the most congenial nut-jobs in the hobby. ;)

• Administrators

And did an awful lot of research before and after he built the model. Did you know that some sanitoriums rented out their patients to local farmers as labourers for example?

I also recived a description of life at Hellingly from a nurse who started her work there at 16. Apparently the nights were the worst as the hospital was out in the countryside so the only sounds were from the patients echoing from a huge, forbiding building. Not a pleasent place to be but at the time it was constructed, the people who ran it firmly believed they were doing the best for those in their care. That's why the railway was electrified, it would scare the patients less than a steam engine for example.

My take is that you can't change history and quite a lot of it is unpleasent but if we research it properly, there is a lot to be learned. And by research, I don't mean just believing the guff peddled by the mainstream media or those who want to give themselves a bigger part than they really deserve.

(Helpful link: My model of the Hellingly Hospital Railway)

Having originally been ithe 'bad taste' camp, I've changed my view thanks to Andy Y's explanation. I haven't seen the article yet btw. Seems like it is an excellent piece of modelling, recording history.

And don't forget, history happenned. It shouldn't be supressed - that is censorship.

Stewart

I don't quite understand why people are comparing a robbery to a scene of mass genocide. You may not think so, but there is a big difference between a robbery where one person was hurt badly and a place where over a 1 million people were gassed and worked to death.

Just my view, I'm sure the club didn't mean to offend anyone. You can't edit out the bad stuff in history, it's there to learn from.

Hi Andy,

If I might be permitted one final short note....

Whilst I maintain my personal opinion (and reserve the right to do so) I would nevertheless agree with you that the diorama has been extremely well modelled - a different matter altogether ...and in fairness, in the very first paragraph of the BRM article the team did touch on the possible sensitivity of the subject, which I respect.

Maybe I should have read on for I was not aware of the fact that the Railway Benefit Fund was being supported by the Luton club in the way you outlined.

Regardless of my opinion I will therefore certainly make a contribution to this fund when I see the team at Doncaster in a couple of weeks time.

Don

Hi Andy,

If I might be permitted one final short note....

Whilst I maintain my personal opinion (and reserve the right to do so) I would nevertheless agree with you that the diorama has been extremely well modelled - a different matter altogether ...and in fairness, in the very first paragraph of the BRM article the team did touch on the possible sensitivity of the subject, which I respect.

Maybe I should have read on for I was not aware of the fact that the Railway Benefit Fund was being supported by the Luton club in the way you outlined.

Regardless of my opinion I will therefore certainly make a contribution to this fund when I see the team at Doncaster in a couple of weeks time.

Don

I think people should read all of the article before shooting from the hip...

How can anyone make judgement on their fellow modellers unless they are aware of the full facts...

Seems a little offensive to those who have produced a seriously good piece of modelling.

It should be judged for what it is--- a quality display. And it is exceptionally good and well produced by the BRM team.

If anyone feels strongly enough to write and knock it - I hope they are equally strong enough to donate to the charity!

Come on guys... lets take a breather from the bash the guys who made it for taking such a bold step and raising the bar a little.

All I can see is see it in the flesh - talk to the guys then make your judgements. Not until!

• Administrators

Changing the subject slightly, after all naughty is a part of life.....

I noted that Mr P mentions Sheffield stone and its diverse colours somewhere along the line.......and that is a subject I can never get a hold of, even though I see it every day :D What colour is it? 

That's the point I was trying to make. Stone and brick are very diverse colours both in individual walls and also around the country. My take would be Humbrol 121 with added khaki and ochre for some stones.

Of course the real point is to say, "Go and look at the real thing". Partly 'cos it will help your modelling and partly 'cos it's nice to escape the workbench and head out in to the fresh air occasionally.

• RMweb Gold

Dear BRM Editor,

It has come to my attention that you are not displaying the best and most positive aspects of railway modelling in your recent issues.

I am especially displeased with so called 'modern image' layouts which in fact are outmoded stereotypes of scenes which no longer exist.  Try as I might I cannot see scenes in any of these layouts which represent a positive multi-cultural aspect of today's society with a correct balance of age, gender, sexual orientation or ethnic mix.  How can we teach younger entrants to the hobby to celebrate all that is positive if your articles are so incorrect?  And don't even think about looking for lady drivers (operators?) of moden image trains something where the balance of your articles is so old hat.

I note also that your articles give young lads the impression that it's ok wanting to grow up to be a train driver giving them a completely false impression of today's enlightened times where they must compete for their quota of jobs with those that are reserved for females, handicapped persons, transgender reassinged, and so on.  Please address this in future articles. 

In order to show only what's positive about the hobby you should now devote 75pct of each issue to the ways of Swindon and its descendents.  The other 25pct should be given over to the Beatification of the Blue Box.  I'm sure any open minded individual would see this is the only way to nirvana and will always show the hobby in a positive light.  (The custard dip Blue Pullman was simply a device to test our faith).

Please remember the words of the late Bill Shankly. "Railway modelling is not just a matter of life and death - it's more important than that"

Angry of Islington

(Twinned with Soweto)

Purchased this issue yesterday, sad to note that the announcement of the welcome Hornby FD16/3 stated that Clauds were built as far back as 1933!

oh dear

Class D16/3 (as the Hornby Gresley Rebuild model is) was introduced in 1933. Class D16 was introduced in 1923.

sorry my typings not that good but I dont have a large budget and a proof reader

Meant D16/3.

my bad

Yes, it's easy to make slips or to produce infelicitous expressions, and not to notice them until it's too late. For BRM, as well as us. 

Class D16/3 (as the Hornby Gresley Rebuild model is) was introduced in 1933. Class D16 was introduced in 1923.

Very true, though all the designs of Claud were derived from a loco first introduced way back in 1900. That pedigree is one of the things that makes the Clauds so interesting.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it's easy to make slips or to produce infelicitous expressions, and not to notice them until it's too late. For BRM, as well as us. 

Very true, though all the designs of Claud were derived from a loco first introduced way back in 1900. That pedigree is one of the things that makes the Clauds so interesting.

Well, not to worry, folks, it's only the LNER.... :O  :P  :jester:

While not a regular purchaser of BRM, I bought this issue on the strength of the contents list, and I have to say it's well worth every penny. In particular Black Country Blues is a superb creation, congratulations and thanks to all involved in building it, and to Andy York for the excellent photos. 

• Administrators

While not a regular purchaser of BRM, I bought this issue on the strength of the contents list, and I have to say it's well worth every penny. In particular Black Country Blues is a superb creation, congratulations and thanks to all involved in building it, and to Andy York for the excellent photos. 

Thank you - that's a great message to greet us this morning.

Nice to see that Phil Parker still makes use of his 40th Anniversary Redditch Model Railway Club mug he got when he exhibited his layout at the 2007 Redditch Show

The mug features in his show you how article in the February 2014 BRM Magazine

• RMweb Premium

I have, it is!  (well one of the pics is rather questionable - got an out of scale background :jester: )

With an equally out of scale screwdriver on the track......

Come and meet the out of scale team and the layout at the Stafford show on the 1st and2nd of February or the BRM Doncaster festival of modelling the following weekend. Don't be shy, please say hi.

Andy

Archived