Wainwright J class Chivers kit

I just got a Chivers Wainwright J class kit, which is a very good starting point of this odd prototype.

I intend to do this as number 614 in the simplified Wainwright livery with burnished parts. This will complement my growing collection of SECR coloured locos, the others all being RTR (wrenn R1 class, one of them detailed, Bachmann N class in grey, C class in full Wainwright Livery, and C class in grey, to be followed soon by another C class in Simplified Wainwright livery).

The choice of subject may seem an odd one, but as the D class, P class and H class are all preserved and quite popular then these may appear RTR someday. So in the meantime I thought I would go for 2 subjects not likely to be covered. The J class and L class.

Why a J? Some may ask.... Well, the subject has a 0-6-4 wheel arrangement which is somewhat rare on British steam locomotives.

Looking at photos and the kit, there are many various and sundry items to buy, ok wheels, motor and gearbox but also lamp irons too and head Code discs too. These are easy to find.

However the biggest item is the lack of boiler backhead. I could scratchbuild the item, but am wondering if anyone has a recommendation out there?

When I did my J Class I used an Alan Gibson backhead, from a GWR tank. Not correct but it is hardly visible. An alternative might be the backhead from a South Eastern Finecast E class,, which should be available as a spare.

Good luck with the Wainwright livery. Mine is in late 1940s grotty black which is slightly easier to paint.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but is Chivers kit for the J Class still available anywhere please?  All I can find is wagons and narrow gauge kits (which do look very nice by the way!!)

• RMweb Premium

Found a photo of one the other day, it's Southern and it's quirky which most definitely puts it on my to do list.

Also no danger of being outwitted by a RTR release either!

Ah, thanks. Time to start browsing the second hand tables at shows then, Ebay prices will be too silly.

Mine was brought from e-bay from the actual family that produces these kits. It seems that they appear on e-bay from time to time.

I have not progressed much since due to a number of reasons, but she sure is quirky.

Archived