Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Who keeps their boxes?

Wolf27

Hi all.

Who amongst us keeps there empty boxes, that once contained your latest purchase? I have a few that are just taking up space as effectively all I am doing is storing empty space. My stock either lives on the layout or in box files and am wondering why I keep them. Are any if them worth anything to anyone. I have a mixture of all the main 4mm scale brands.

What do you guys do with your boxes?

Cheers

Shane

• RMweb Gold

I have sold quite a few boxes of various ages on eBay.  Presumably, they were bought by collectors.  On one occasion I got more for the boxes than I paid for the wagons in the first place! :)

I keep my boxes in air tight containers away from, temperature changes and direct sunlight.

Why...?  well one day I shuffle off from this mortal coil and I would like what I have left behind to be of benefit for those that follow.

Either as a set of locos they will use and cherish as a part of a time in history or more likely that will be sold on.

So good records and boxes, will make it easier for them after my demise, and probably bring a slightly higher return or a better understanding of the model industry at that time.

Horses for courses... but that is my reasoning. 

• RMweb Premium

In answer to the thread title, me

While they do certainly take up space, as I don't have a permanent layout, and far too much stuff to 'display' at the same time, I keep the original boxes to store the things in. Indeed I have even bought a few to put unboxed locos that have been split from train packs in.

While boxfiles are a good solution, with all the fragile detail on things nowadays I prefer the original packaging (though I do acknowledge that when I manage to get a permanent layout things may change).

The other thing to consider is resale - if you ever decide to downsize your collection or change era, having the original boxes is an advantage. Certainly if you use e-bay the original boxes are ideal for sending items through the post and does make the listing sound better.

• RMweb Premium

Having just received a delivery from Liverpool in the last 20 minutes this is a very appropriate thread!

Mixed answer for me. Wagons and coaches are de-boxed and stored in WHSmith mini drawer units (intended for A4 paper I assume, but just right for 00), and the original boxes are donated to the council (I do strip out the plastic so the card can be recycled), whereas locos (and the newly arrived Heljan AC rail buses count as 'locos' are stored in their original boxes.

I guess my method is partly value related, a £100 loco needs careful handling (although taking them out and in the boxes can cause damage) whereas a wagon is relatively low valve - if I was into modern modelling where some of the bigger wagons are proportionately more expensive my view might be different - and because many of my wagons are from Parkside kits so the storage solution for them is good for Bachmann et al. Coaches, hmmm, de-boxed mainly for space reasons.

I used to throw them (stock is bought for operation), but for the past ten years now also use them for loft insulation, which is sold whenever anyone offers. Apparently the box collectors have tons of wonga, which I am overjoyed to receive...

One exception, with the coming of moulded to shape interior packaging for locos,  this is now retained as servicing cradles on a one per class basis. Very useful for avoiding body damage during necessary handling by the nine-thumbed such as myself

• RMweb Premium

I tend to keep my stock in trays because de-boxing and re-boxing at shows is a royal PITA.

It certainly makes sense in this situation - just as it does if you have fixed layout and large stock collection at home.

The stock I run regularly on my layout lives in stock trays I purchased at Ally Pally a couple of years ago as it makes life easier at shows but all my other stock lives in its boxes and I have kept the empty boxes out of habit more than anything else.

I do find it really annoys my wife at times but at least the comments on this post about their value will change her mind ;)

It is  certainly  worth trying to keep  boxes,  there comes a time in this hobby  when the  grass is  suddenly  greener on the other  side of the  fence,  and a change of direction ( i.e.  Era/gauge/country being modelled) takes place,  in this  day and  age it is  so easy to  sell unwanted  stock,  BUT I find  tthat without  a box to send the items in parcelling up becomes a chore.I also find  that  on the few occasions I have offered  an unboxed item for sale, the selling price is usually lower .

I store my boxes in the loft, as mentioned above very good to add to the insulation, especially  the  LGB ones!l

Mine go straight in the dustbin. I just can't be bothered with them - they are simple packaging. Their contents go into foam lined biscuit tins or bigger for easy access (something the manufacturer's boxes do not exhibit). As for selling them I have no truck with collectors - they need to keep their own boxes that their pristine purchases come in (and never break the seals); the non collectors (I am suspicious they are only buying the empties to con someone that something is new when it isn't); and anyway I simply cannot be bothered with all the time and effort just to win a few pence.

• RMweb Gold

I keep all of mine just in case I come to sell any items.

However I now have so many boxes in the loft it's hard work trying to find the right box for the items I now want to sell despite categorising the boxes up in the loft.

However, I tend to weather everything so there is no real value to collectors.

Ian

My boxes go into bigger boxes, and go into the loft - adding to the insulation :sungum: .

Exactly what I do - only Loco boxes only, usually with the "bits to add" still in their little bags. I throw away (re-cycle) all others. Threw 8 Bachmann Covhop boxes away last week - well, recycled them actually. I keep loco boxes as they will help keep the value of my most expensive model railway purchases.

Sick of boxes, (not just model railway) - blimmin loft is full of em - must have a clearout of non Loco boxes. 

Brit15

Although all my stock lives on the layout, I have kept the boxes so that when I leave this world the family can sell off the stock and it will be easier for them if it is boxed - I doubt they will know a BR MK1 BSK from a BCK!

I've just got to remember to put the right item in the right box just before I die  :scratchhead:

Paul

Many years ago I went to a Wrenn themed meeting of the Sussex Vintage Model Collectors. Despite the name the emphasis is on running trains. One member, who was a trader, put a streamlined Coronation on the track. It creaked and groaned as it struggled round the test track. Another member asked if the trader would like him to put a drop of oil on the mechanism. The trader told him not to do that or the model would no longer be mint and boxed.

• RMweb Premium

I keep the boxes. It makes things easier to sell on if I want to and it allows me to see just what I have rather than having to open up different boxes containing multiple items. 

Thanks everyone for their input. Now I have sorted out the boxes and stacked them a bit better I have decided the best optionis are to keep the loco boxes and a few for future potential sell off of redundant stock.

cheers

Shane

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago I went to a Wrenn themed meeting of the Sussex Vintage Model Collectors. Despite the name the emphasis is on running trains. One member, who was a trader, put a streamlined Coronation on the track. It creaked and groaned as it struggled round the test track. Another member asked if the trader would like him to put a drop of oil on the mechanism. The trader told him not to do that or the model would no longer be mint and boxed.

So how might he have felt if the motor had seized/burnt out?

I keep my locos in their original boxes, but "adapt" the linings so as not to damage fragile detail parts - in particular, Hornby's "3-D jigsaw" drives me round the bend and usually has to be cut about quite drastically.

Rolling stock tends to live in A4(paper) sized trays (the lids of photocopy paper boxes) and the original boxes are currently dumped in the loft. The trays are useful as I can store complete trains or "themed" sets of stock together for exhibitions.

I occasionally sell on a Slater's wagon that I no longer need via that well-known internet auction. It surprises me that to some people having the original box is a selling point. So I have learned to keep at least some, just in case.

Back in the day, my mother chucked my Hornby-Dublo boxes away with ruthless efficiency. It was the way things were in those days, and I suspect this is why these boxes are (relatively) rare.

Archived