The DebSquare Order page

Chubber

Hello Mike, initially there`ll be the compact size, but in prototyping this first version, I`ve found it would be possible to rescale the design for production; should there be interest in my doing so.

Watch this space (as they say!) :good:

Are we having one size or might it be possible to vary it, I'm thinking along the lines of using for other constructional purposes?

Mike.

In designing this little square I considered size, in light of the fact that I have one of these

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools/measures-levels-detectors/squares/B-and-Q-150mm-Combination-Square-11247669?noCookies=false

and one of these

http://www.aderbyshire.co.uk/1.aspx?p=Joseph_Marples_3%22_Rosewood_Try_Square&NSearchMode=S&NSearchStr=3144

together with a 4" mitre square.

They all suffer from the same problem in use, i.e. they require to be used on or over an edge at least 1/4" deep to bear adequately on the material being cut/marked. This is clearly not 'cutting mat friendly', you have to slide your mat to the edge of the bench to use them, then I find that lining up the edge of the mat, the edge of the bench and the work piece awkward, not mention the annoyance when that 10mm length of 1mm x 1mm cut-off piece ends up on the floor.

The Debsquare as designed is meant to be used like this for very thin card/paper/plastic strip

post-106-0-21260100-1391204520.jpg

or like this for larger stock, in each case centrally on the work top

post-106-0-02900100-1391204519.jpg

and scaled not to overwhelm 1mm square stuff. The rectangular portion is of such a size as to be comfortable to press with a Chubber thumb.

I find that one/two of these,

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools/measures-levels-detectors/squares/-brand-B%5Cu0026Q/B-and-Q-Pivotal-Rafter-Square-11247674

which are about 8" along the hypotenuse are very useful for 'construction' work and heavy enough to hold large card walls upright, or to assemble walls squarely around.

Hope that helps,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

:friends: To update the patient 'awaiters':

The batch of alloy precision-blades are cut and their logo`s laser-etched..........

The machining of a batch of 'stocks' is next on the slate, a waft over with some 'magic' and then it`ll be on the meekat!

I`ll update you again "as soon as". :good:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Oh Ian,

How sad I am to report that nothing has happened after I asked our revered Webmaster to make some enquiries....many moons, [and for me] two countries ago.

I have since made my own, in brass, to exactly the same dimensions, but of late,  eye-sight and arthritis problems have seriously curtailed my modelling efforts, some days up, others down.

I wonder what has happened to 'Debs'? She had woofers, like us, loved engineering, like me, I hope it is not a tragic tale....

In the same vein, we have lost contact [18 months] with a mountaineering chum, Dennis Robinson, despite e-mails etc. We are so worried he is hanging of the end of a rope in an ice crevasse somewhere, waiting to be found...

Best wishes,

Doug

I trust that I am not 'speaking out of turn' but I know that Debs has suffered a serious medical problem over recent years which probably accounts for the non-movement on these items. I am sure that we all wish her a speedy return to full health as soon as possible.

regards

Mike

Archived