The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

60 mph speed limit on M1

Phil Bullock

Kal ,

You won't mind all your stuff arriving late then will you !

Best regards from the middle lane doing 0.1 mph more thanks the truck in lane 1. !!

M b

Ah, I did not realise that everyone in Germany got their stuff late. But then if everyone got their stuff late, how would they know?

• RMweb Gold

Well the solution is simple, buy a car with cruise control and set it to 60mph! Even my last £1000 banger had a decent cruise control system. I'd rather be 2 minutes later in this world than a lifetime in the next. 

Honestly I don't know what the massive fuss is about, most of the time slower speed limits improve traffic flow. Besides the same journey will cost you less as your MPG rate will improve, thus lowering pollution rates as your not using as much fuel and saving you money to spend on trains...  

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

To add to my last post

20 miles traveling at 60mph = 20 minutes traveling time.

20 miles traveling at 70mph = 17 minutes and 9 seconds.

So a saving of just over 2 minutes over 20 miles - need I say more?

Speed & Time Calculator - http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/speed_distance_time_calc.html

MPG Calculator - http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Kind regards,

Nick.

Stopping trucks overtaking between 6am and 10pm would be a better bet.

The big problem with a 60 mph speed limit is what do you do when a big lorry behing you is obviously being driven by someone falling asleep.

Don

The big issue that I can see here is how people behave and interact on the roads.

Firstly - All goods vehicles of 7.5tonnes and over are legally required to have a functioning speed limited that is set to a maximum of 60MPH, most are set at 56MPH (90KPH - The European maximum speed) however some are set to a lower speed to save fuel.

Secondly - My 7.5tonne truck will go up most hills at 56MPH, A fully loaded 44tonne truck will not, therefore I will overtake it and save time and fuel.

Thirdly - There are times when I will catch up with a car driver who is doing 50MPH, where it is safe and legal, I will overtake them.

Lastly - Every goods vehicle that is fitted with a Tachograph, again anything 7.5tonnes and over, are required to have the tachograph calibrated every two years, the speedo is also calibrated at the same time - when I say that I am travelling at a certain speed, I am confident that there is no error in the speedo unlike most car speedos that give a reading that is 110% of the actual road wheel speed.

E.G. A car travelling at an indicated 60MPH is more likely to be travelling at 54.5MPH, and a goods vehicle travelling at an indicated 56MPH will be travelling at 56MPH

As for the allegation that the driver is asleep - that can be levelled at anyone in a tin box no matter what size the box is, the only difference with a goods vehicle is that when we get it wrong, we stand to lose our VOCATIONAL driving licence if the traffic commissioner deems it necessary the vehicle operator (not the driver) could have their licence restricted or withdrawn, if we can't drive we might not be able to work thence we lose our job, there is too much to lose. However when people have got it wrong and been caught, the tachograph shows how many hours the driver has been working, how much daily rest has been taken, how long the driver has been driving since the last break, and how many hours have been driven in total, and it is all traceable for 28 days.

If anyone want's to know a bit more about Goods Vehicle Drivers Regulations, then PM me, and I'll reply.

• RMweb Gold

Is the rest of Europe doing this or have they got some dispensation as they are not as densely populated as the UK?!!!

XF

That would be interesting to know, particularly where some countries have no speed limits on certain motorways.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Is the rest of Europe doing this or have they got some dispensation as they are not as densely populated as the UK?!!!

XF

A couple of people have mentioned Europe, but this is not something from Europe! It is our own DfT,otherwise known as DafT!

They are considering the 60MPH speed limit for a stretch of the M1 to "reduce emissions". What they should be saying is "We (DfT) are considering reducing the speed limit to 60MPH to improve traffic flow through the trial section"

By reducing the overall speed it will allow traffic to flow smother, reducing 'stop-start' driving and collisions, and exhaust emissions will be reduced as an associated effect.

• RMweb Gold

HI All

This is all more green namby pamby nonsense.

The need to control every thing has gone to far now.

Regards Arran

Well I suppose a return to the filth of the Industrial Revolution might be considered progress... Not quite sure if I agree with you on your post, but we live in a free country! :friends:

Kind regards,

Nick.

The big issue that I can see here is how people behave and interact on the roads.

Secondly - My 7.5tonne truck will go up most hills at 56MPH, A fully loaded 44tonne truck will not, therefore I will overtake it and save time and fuel.

I am sure you are a very considerate driver, however in my experience, there are many that are not, they force their way out with disregard , and do not give a damn about the 300 cars now backed up for 10 minutes while it tries to overtake at a meter a minute up hill, with no regard to the fuel consumption or desire of the people stacked up behind them

It maybe contentious , and I am sorry about that, but i cannot be alone with that experience. Same applies to caravans, so I may as well upset them too.

In truth I am not trying to upset anyone, but it is how I see it

Edit to add, ... Again no disrespect intended, but I was not referring to vehicles upto 7.5t

Well I suppose a return to the filth of the Industrial Revolution might be considered progress... Not quite sure if I agree with you on your post, but we live in a free country! :friends:

Kind regards,

Nick.

What return to filth!!!   car emissions are cleaner now than ever and as for a free country try again, ask your self this can you be prosecuted for saying something!!!! 

Regards Arran

• RMweb Gold

What return to filth!!!   car emissions are cleaner now than ever and as for a free country try again, ask your self this can you be prosecuted for saying something!!!! 

Regards Arran

That is true, but equally cars are filth, dirty things, which cause massive damage to the environment and our planet! I really don't know what all the fuss is about re the speed limit!

But anyway I don't want to cause an argument - I have a different point of view and that is what makes us all individuals, rather than robots! And I respect yours. :D

Kind regards,

Nick.

Motorways are generally our safest roads in terms of miles travelled between KoSI incidents. Drive around any urban motorway and you will see plenty of drivers coming onto the motorway at one junction, going straight out to the outside lane and only coming back to the nearside lane immediately prior to the junction they wish to exit at - often only one or two junctions on from where they joined. I am not proposing denying them the right to use the road network but their short journeys are very inefficient in terms of fuel and do create proportionally more emissions.

I used to have to cover the whole of the UK in my job. I had to have all relevant tools, equipment and parts with me whenever I went anywhere so public transport was not suitable. It would take me more time, for example, to go to an airport, park my car, go through advanced and extended check in, get on the flight, get to the destination airport, hire a car and then drive to the site than simply driving from home to the site AND it would be far more costly. I frequently drove more than 150 miles to get to a job. That gives a round trip in excess of 300 miles so travel time was an issue. If you reduce the overall speed limit to 60, you make such journeys less safe as tiredness increases and the worker less productive. 400 miles - which was easily clocked up going to the northeast, the southwest or anywhere in Scotland at an average of 55 is approaching 8 hours travelling time. The same journey at 65mph reduces the travel time by more than an hour and would not use any more fuel due to cruise control and long gearing in the vehicles I used whereas the lower speed would mean plenty of gear changing, therefore resetting cruise control.

There is a bigger picture here. Our roads network is choked with too many vehicles because there are few viable alternatives and we have a very high population density compared to France, Germany, Spain etc. If we have 25% youth unemployment and an average of 7.5% reported unemployment overall, why do we need to get transient working population to further congest the country?

A couple of people have mentioned Europe, but this is not something from Europe! It is our own DfT,otherwise known as DafT!

The reports stated that the Highways Agency was promoting this to achieve new EU targets on air quality so, whilst it would be instigated by the DafT, that department is using the EU bureaucracy as it justification.

• RMweb Gold

To add to my last post

20 miles traveling at 60mph = 20 minutes traveling time.

20 miles traveling at 70mph = 17 minutes and 9 seconds.

So a saving of just over 2 minutes over 20 miles - need I say more?

Speed & Time Calculator - http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/speed_distance_time_calc.html

MPG Calculator - http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Kind regards,

Nick.

Thin end, wedge -  actually its much nearer three minutes - adding an hour to a 400 mile journey

• RMweb Premium

There is no consistency in speed limits whether it's for "Green issues" (I'm with Arran on this one) or number of junctions, traffic density. For instance I can travel around Manchesters motorway ringroads at 70mph yet in Glasgow a similar urban motorway has varying speed limits 50mph, 60mph and 70mph . Who makes up these limits anyway-seems to me there's a bit of random number generation going on there.

• RMweb Gold

Prime example on approach to Newport Tunnel on M4 from the east.

Speed camera gantries are dense in the area and there is always a 50 limit on the two lane section approaching the tunnel.

No problem with that - except that the 50 limit is always applied on the gantry at the bottom of a steep hill, hidden by an overbridge until you are on top of it. There are several gantries further back on which a phased limit - 70, 60 - could be posted but oh no - leave it to the one at the bottom of the hill.

Every time I pass it I think that money generation is the main reason for posting the limit in this way...

Phil

Archived