Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Further Lockdown modelling. More wagons.

5Bel

Hi Frank,

Thanks for all the photos, I really have no excuses now do I!! Every little bit of these units has now been covered in these posts. This is why this Forum is the best there is.

Cheers for now, Ian

Hi Ian,

I was looking through some books an noticed that the Tyneside units originally had the middle compartment of the driving trailer designated as first class accommodation. It doesn't look as though the compartment was wider than the others, but I thought it worth mentioning in case this has some significance.

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Colin is correct in stating that the Tyneside 2 EPB had a first class compartment. It was the same size as the third calss compartments. My only conculsion is that those with more wealth in the North East must have shorter legs than those in the south. :no:

post-16423-0-09829800-1390121844_thumb.png

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi All

Colin is correct in stating that the Tyneside 2 EPB had a first class compartment. It was the same size as the third calss compartments. My only conculsion is that those with more wealth in the North East must have shorter legs than those in the south. :no:

attachicon.gifTyneside DTC.png

I knew that you would know Clive!

I wonder if the internal arrangement of seating and partitions remained the same after re-furbishing at Eastleigh? I seem to have read that the seats were of a different design to those of the Tyneside 2 EPB's compared to the Southern Region ones. One thing that is clear from the drawing is that the doors were pitched slightly wider apart on the saloon end of the driving trailer coach.

All the best,

Colin

I knew that you would know Clive!I wonder if the internal arrangement of seating and partitions remained the same after re-furbishing at Eastleigh? I seem to have read that the seats were of a different design to those of the Tyneside 2 EPB's compared to the Southern Region ones. One thing that is clear from the drawing is that the doors were pitched slightly wider apart on the saloon end of the driving trailer coach.All the best,Colin

Colin.

Think about this from the other angle. The saloon 'compartments' are larger because the partitions are thinner!

Dave

More guzundergubbins......

post-7009-0-05007400-1390136911_thumb.jpg

The Trailer's brake cylinder, cranks and rodding.

post-7009-0-60535800-1390137252_thumb.jpg

The DMBSO's brake cylinder.

post-7009-0-46886400-1390137871_thumb.jpg

The Main Air Resevoir.

post-7009-0-69248500-1390139002_thumb.jpg

Reverser.

post-7009-0-49590400-1390139187_thumb.jpg

Trailer bogie.

post-7009-0-13353900-1390139882_thumb.jpg

Trailer Pick-up bogie.

That's all folks.

Cheers.

Edited by Ceptic

Colin.

Think about this from the other angle. The saloon 'compartments' are larger because the partitions are thinner!

Dave

Hi Dave,

I had worked it out!

The DC Kits parts that Ian is using would not reflect the small difference in compartment width compared to the saloon end. I was only raising a point of interest rather than information essential to the build.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

Hi All,

After an enforced break due to work I have remodelled the DMBS. The old window was removed and a new piece from a Replica BS inserted. The difference is only 2mm but the look of the model is much improved. I have also put on the front window surrounds and the drivers side windows. The scale size smaller one was fitted and the big hole behind filled with plasticard and filler. The roof positions were marked and drilled using Dave's dimensions and photos as a guide.

post-7006-0-74756600-1390577764_thumb.jpg

Guards window now in the correct place.

post-7006-0-61335300-1390577787_thumb.jpg

The scale size NNK drivers window.

post-7006-0-49500600-1390577807_thumb.jpg

NNK window cab window surrounds.

post-7006-0-56088500-1390577827_thumb.jpg

Roof predrilled.

On the prototype, the ex first class compartment retained it's luxury seating when converted for use on the SR. I still need to do a bit more rubbing down the cab fronts around the windows then it is adding all the door furniture and roof gubbins.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• Like 7

You're making a really good job of that.

You will be glad you fixed the window issue. May have been only a couple of mm out but that would knaw away and you woud regret it. Been there myself on other models. I had a boiler which didn't quite sit right on a steamer. You couldn't really tell from most angles but it got to me in the end and I had to unsolder it and reseat it. I felt so much better afterwards! I know not everyone woud agree with me but each to his own

Paul R

• Like 2

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the comments, you are right of course, the 1st class was in the DTC.

Cheers for now, Ian

Hi Ian,

I was guilty of teaching you to suck eggs there. The Golding book has a half-decent photo of a Tyneside unit in original condition, but I wouldn't trust the plans though!

All the best,

Colin

You're making a really good job of that.

You will be glad you fixed the window issue. May have been only a couple of mm out but that would knaw away and you woud regret it. Been there myself on other models. I had a boiler which didn't quite sit right on a steamer. You couldn't really tell from most angles but it got to me in the end and I had to unsolder it and reseat it. I felt so much better afterwards! I know not everyone woud agree with me but each to his own

Paul R

It's the only way to make progress.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

The DMBS body is now complete and back in the paintshop for it's primer. Whilst putting all the detailing bits on the model split at one of the joins then one of the window blanks fell out!! For a while I wasn't very happy as you can imagine. Whilst it has been drying between coats I have been trying to make my Replica cut and shut EMU modelling technique a little better. I now use the door lines to hide the joints, so the only join that needs filling is by the compartment nearest the Guards van. If you are careful with your cutting you don't lose any of the hinges and handles.

post-7006-0-49673000-1393513898_thumb.jpg

Standard SR 63' DMBS EPB/HAP

post-7006-0-20817100-1393513919_thumb.jpg

You can just about make out the filled join at the very extreme left. There is another join down the doorline of the second compartment from the left.

post-7006-0-59057800-1393513939_thumb.jpg

Class 501 DMBS.

post-7006-0-68100800-1393513951_thumb.jpg

Experiment to see if ER electrics are feasible. Class 304 etc;

For filling the small gaps I now use Superglue. The 501 is going to be for the Test unit 051 which was used for PEP trials. I have been asked to demonstrate some of my techniques at the Maidenhead show on Sat 17th May. It will be my first time so if any RMWebbers are going come and say hello.

Fresh from the paintshop!!

post-7006-0-09438900-1393515730_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-83267000-1393515760_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-81261000-1393515779_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-53969700-1393515795_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-18251600-1393515813_thumb.jpg

Thankfully there has been no lasting damage. The conduits and cable runs are 0.3mm nickel silver wire. They are glued in one lamp top only. This negates the spaghetti effect you can get due to expansion. Thankyou to Dave and Ceptic for their photos, they have been invaluable. I am leaving the DTS in it's basic form until after the Maidenhead exhibition to show just what can be done with the basic DC Kits model. The next thing for this model is to try and make a BR single bolster bogie from the Replica product and to finish the underframe.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• Like 7

Hi All,

Pete, details of unit 051 and it's sister 052 are almost non existant. There is a page on wikipedia that gives the identity of the coaches used. Departmentals.com have a photo of 975027, the one fitted with PEP bogies. Other than that, there are a couple of head on photos in diesels and electrics on shed vol2 and the one in the Bradford Barton Southern Electics book. There are some photos on Flickr of it on scrap sidings, but that is about it. I would love to be proved wrong! Colin, thanks for your kind words. The roof details are held in place by 0.25 wire loops as demonstrated in my NNK 2Epb topic. Every time I do a unit I try to make things easier for myself. I now prime the roof first then mark out the position of the cable runs with a compass fitted with a pencil. Of course it helps if you have measurements, which Dave has kindly sent me. It is now back to rebuilding the Replica bogie.

Cheers for now, Ian

This has been posted on RMweb before and shows Class 501 EMU vehicles from units 051 and 052. The one covered by a tarpaulin was potentially the vehicle used for sliding doors tests at Strawberry Hill Depot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5734184585/

post-9506-0-36237600-1393595491_thumb.jpg

As an aside here is my model of the wrecked 411 vehicle also in the photo

Edited by Xerces Fobe2
  • Like 2

That photo, and the one in the Bradford Barton album seem to show one of the driving motors as having a wraparound yellow end. 

The middle car is a DBS with a half yellow front panel! 

Units 051 and 052 appear to have been a common pool with coaches re-marshalled for specific tests

XF

• 6 years later...

Hi All,

Along with the Loco's on my other thread, I have restarted this EMU. Can't believe it's been 6 years since I worked on it! With the DMBS today's efforts have concentrated on the DTS. All the holes were  drilled in the roof ready for all the pipework, which will be put on tomorrow. I have all the detailing bits so hopefully it won't be too long before it's ready for painting.

DSCF5790.JPG.524a255e10aaaf404fc6888c3cf73418.JPG

DSCF5792.JPG.693a5e10bdb62db2392fe5d5072f9028.JPG

I wonder what my oldest project is that I can resurrect during these tough times. I have a MTK Cravens parcels unit up there somewhere but that may be a step too far!!

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi All,

I've finished detailing the roof, sides and front end. The roof conduit is 0.3mm steel wire held in position by wire and Southern Pride lamp tops. Vents are MJT. The cab front and cabside windows are from NNK. The door hinges are Roxey door handles and the door bumpers are 0.45mm wire. 

DSCF5794.JPG.cd0e1c88cad9f4305656b367e5346326.JPG

DSCF5798.JPG.5466b789521913308bb6d21e9073dba1.JPG

DSCF5797.JPG.945339d96a8706b7a190a99324bb0bf6.JPG

DSCF5793.JPG.6371207178966118922d2ed7c7dffc0f.JPG

DSCF5801.JPG.98e454cfa6f60b7cece61743a0dbfed4.JPG

There is a bit of tidying up to do around the cabside windows. Next will be the inner end, which I have NNK steps for. The rest will be wire and plasticard with the central buffer from the spares box. I can't remember why I stopped this project (over six years ago!) but its only taken a few days to get it back on track. I've got all the bits for the underframe so that shouldn't take too long either.

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4