Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Computer Train Simulators - Does anybody use them?

sammyboy

Does anybody own or use these PC train driving simulators? I was once really into them and bought a few expansion packs for new trains/routes, but went away from them for one reason or another. Now I've seen some really good You Tube videos of some of the more recently made routes, I want to get back into doing some "Virtual Train Driving".

Sam

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm.....   But are they any good?  And could a trip up and down the Waverley route be created in such a thing?

Yes it could. I have a simulator that does Queen St to Edinburgh Waverley. I think Trainz has the ECML from Newcastle to KX

I Like creating routes and then driving the. I sometimes use the track plans of model railway layouts I like and join them together in one big route.

I used to run MS train sim way back. I'm running Train-simulator 2014 now

I have both kinds of sim software and the recent "Rail Simulator" is so, so much better than the old Microsoft Train Simulator, which looked good at the time of it's release, but now it is well dated.

Sam

• RMweb Premium

I used to use BVE TrainSim, a free Japanese product that I thought was very good indeed.  It had loads of excellent route and train add-ons developed by enthusiasts (also free) and, IMO, gave an excellent driving experience.  I haven't played it for a long time, however, as when i got a new computer with what was then the brand new Windows 7 BVE wouldn't run on it and I deleted it.  That may change as I now see that BVE TrainSim 5 is available for Windows 7 and 8.

DT

I used MSTS from its release. There was nothing like running some blue arrow TS locos on the themes mersey route :) and used Rail simulator/railworks/whatever they call it today since release, although its starting to struggle on my laptop now (even though its got an i7 and Geforce card). I wanted to buy the remaining IHH stock before they closed but I couldnt bring myself to pay £140 for stock, a lot of the steam stuff which I had. Time for some screenshots? :)

• RMweb Premium

I used to use the BVE game many years ago, made me get into DCC sound funnily enough!

Had a dabble with the South Coast expansion packs for MS Train simulator but got bored, then drifted back to the usual Grand Theft Auto series and stayed there ever since!!

Trainz is great because it is vey easy to construct new routes and the list of buildings bridges, track types etc is HUGE!

I think it is a very underused tool for railway modelers as you could for example knock up a very presentable sim of your proposed layout in a short period of time and change it about until you are happy with how it looks.

Has anybody on here actually done this before building their layout 'proper'?

I'm still using MSTS - working on a few development projects with that at the moment, including a Cholsey & Wallingford route, and a Michael Portillo figure! Made the "Diamond Jubilee" power car yesterday and hope to upload that to www.uktrainsim.com shortly.

Also in development is a DC layout controller run off the speed readout from MSTS! Software's nearly all there - it's the hardware that's taking the time.

However I also often use OpenRails (free downloadable train sim available from www.openrails.org ) which can read in all (or at least most) MSTS content, but runs better and has better graphics (though it does need a relatively high-spec computer). It's not quite got all the features of MSTS yet but as it's being developed by a group of guys working in their spare time, they will come along eventually.

Train Drive ATS as an app on ITunes is a Japanese suburban simulator that is pretty realistic in the behaviour of the train in relation to your reactions. I was a Driver Instructor on the London suburban network a while ago and so I may be in a position to be able to judge.

• RMweb Premium

I use Trainz because they make one for Apple.....

Best, Pete.

I've got a Trainz   'cause it was cheap! (£5 or so from Maplin)

Haven't used it for years. Quite good fun when I did.

Keith

Train Drive ATS as an app on ITunes is a Japanese suburban simulator that is pretty realistic in the behaviour of the train in relation to your reactions. I was a Driver Instructor on the London suburban network a while ago and so I may be in a position to be able to judge.

I'm just testing the "Lite" version of this on an i-Pad. It's very addictive.....