Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Computer Train Simulators - Does anybody use them?

sammyboy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks . i 'll maybe give it a go rather than trying to get 2004 to load. Annoyingly it did work on Windows 8 but not 10.

That's interesting as Win 10 is like Win 8.1, more so than 8.1 is to Win 7.

Keith

EDIT:

This site might be useful as it has some patch software as well as lots of objects to download:

http://www.tafweb-trainz.co.uk/downloads.html

Edited by melmerby

I started with Ashley Greenup computer games for Sinclair ZX Spectrum (oh dear showing my age) 

I still have the SIAM range of simulations, somewhere and was using the recently 

I was using SIGCent and then SimSig 
SIGCent was great for one person, SimSig was difficult with one person and when I was using it at first it was difficult to find anyone else to play at the same time 

I tried Trainz but none of the combinations for trains / routes in Scotland was possible 
I briefly tried something on the West Coast Main Line but it did not run properly, so gave in 

I have not done any simulated train driving since

TS2016 does have quite a few shunting scenarios and quite a few that are in "The Workshop" an online area where users upload their creations for others. You can even create your own with a simple program within the game itself. The view can also be changed from cab view to side view, line side view and overhead view.

Thanks

..... I was using SIGCent and then SimSig 

SIGCent was great for one person, SimSig was difficult with one person and when I was using it at first it was difficult to find anyone else to play at the same time...

SigCent no longer available.

I started with Ashley Greenup computer games for Sinclair ZX Spectrum (oh dear showing my age) 

I still have the SIAM range of simulations, somewhere and was using the recently 

I was using SIGCent and then SimSig 

SIGCent was great for one person, SimSig was difficult with one person and when I was using it at first it was difficult to find anyone else to play at the same time 

I tried Trainz but none of the combinations for trains / routes in Scotland was possible 

I briefly tried something on the West Coast Main Line but it did not run properly, so gave in 

I have not done any simulated train driving since

Ashley Greenup, that name rings a bell. I must have had some of those simulations on and old Commodore Amiga or something way back.

Were they the ones which had signalling simulations for some rather complex stations such as Crewe, Birmingham NS, and Kings Cross?

They really used to annoy me, because although I could cope for the first few minutes, a L/E movement would throw me completely and I would have route conflict messages popping up all the time after that, mainly because my idea of just putting the next train into any available platform did not agree with the sequences pre-programmed into the game.

lakeview770, on 23 Apr 2016 - 16:48, said:snapback.png

TS2016 does have quite a few shunting scenarios and quite a few that are in "The Workshop" an online area where users upload their creations for others. You can even create your own with a simple program within the game itself. The view can also be changed from cab view to side view, line side view and overhead view.

Thanks

I looked around and found this :-

Looks interesting (!)  -  I didn't think of anything quite as complicated as this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting as Win 10 is like Win 8.1, more so than 8.1 is to Win 7.

Keith

EDIT:

This site might be useful as it has some patch software as well as lots of objects to download:

http://www.tafweb-trainz.co.uk/downloads.html

Thanks Keith. Yes used lots of Tafwebs objects in TRS2004. Really no idea why it doesn't work on Windows 10 but apparently this is quite common with older program's. There was at tweek you could do , but it didn't work for me

As I said I have two subsequent versions I've never used . I'll maybe load 2006 and see if I can Transfer files, 2010 looks completely different.

I used to enjoy "Middle England" route . A nice length of mainline running with dome shunting possibilities. Going to try to get back into it.

Thanks again for help

Edited by Legend

• 2 weeks later...

I still dabble with Trainz 2006 (I've been making a simulation of Barnstaple - Ilfracombe since 2003) but I only do it as an aside when I'm in the mood.

Great route. Would love to see that!!!!! How far are you with it? . I use TRAINZ. Worked the levers in one of the crossing boxes (stonybridge)  after closure on a glorious summers day. Great memory

• RMweb Gold

The quality of TS2016 has come on a lot since Kuju did Microsoft Train Simulator.

post-8483-0-39466900-1462572643_thumb.jpg

post-8483-0-45159800-1462572646_thumb.jpg

post-8483-0-80218600-1462572650_thumb.jpg

post-8483-0-69907100-1462572665_thumb.jpg

I don't have a fantastic PC I'm a Mac user but these were taken on a newish PC with the siders set between 2/5 to 4/5th of the max.

• RMweb Gold

lakeview770, on 23 Apr 2016 - 16:48, said:snapback.png

I looked around and found this :-

Looks interesting (!)  -  I didn't think of anything quite as complicated as this.

Another nice shunting route is free called Hedborough North, theres a superb rendition of The Wycombe branch ( which covers from Maidenhead all the way past Princess Risborough and one of my favorites the crabenmore branch a Scottish branch all freeware

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

So I used to have a game where you were switching points to stop trains colliding. It was quite simple graphics but with screens full of track and up to 10 trains running. Does anyone else remember it and it's name by any chance?

• RMweb Premium

I recently bought Train Simulator 2017 on Steam. I enjoy it but the DLCs do add up (even when they are on sale).

Is that the version by Auran? I'm getting completely mixed up with who does what now. I couldn't get my old Trainz to work on windows 10 but I am contemplating starting a fresh with the latest Trainz one. I prefer that to what was Microft Train Simulator because it was easier to create routes and scenery

• RMweb Premium

Is that the version by Auran? I'm getting completely mixed up with who does what now. I couldn't get my old Trainz to work on windows 10 but I am contemplating starting a fresh with the latest Trainz one. I prefer that to what was Microft Train Simulator because it was easier to create routes and scenery

Dovetail Games

• RMweb Premium

So I used to have a game where you were switching points to stop trains colliding. It was quite simple graphics but with screens full of track and up to 10 trains running. Does anyone else remember it and it's name by any chance?

Hi

Was it an old spectrum game?

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0005374

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

ive been playing TS2017 on and off, a few times,  sadly doesnt run great  normally around 5-15fps  but got a mate who has a custom pc at my partners house what we all use and run it on there when i go there   got a few routes and locos,     but seriously looking at getting TSW GWR route,  as the grapichs and pyshics are miles better than TS17

Mark

• RMweb Premium

And performance will be far worse if you can't get TS17 working well!

I find some routes worse than others - Trent Valley is bad, ECML is much better. Direct correlation to the level of detail unsurprisingly. Turning off dynamic lighting makes the single biggest difference.

• RMweb Premium

ive been playing TS2017 on and off, a few times,  sadly doesnt run great  normally around 5-15fps  but got a mate who has a custom pc at my partners house what we all use and run it on there when i go there   got a few routes and locos,     but seriously looking at getting TSW GWR route,  as the grapichs and pyshics are miles better than TS17

I'm waiting until there's either (preferably) something more historic, or at a pinch a route I'm familiar with in reality.

And performance will be far worse if you can't get TS17 working well!

I find some routes worse than others - Trent Valley is bad, ECML is much better. Direct correlation to the level of detail unsurprisingly. Turning off dynamic lighting makes the single biggest difference.

TS2017 is trying to squeeze an awful lot out of rather old software, so it's not impossible that the new one might be better, more able to take advantage of modern hardware. I've not got the Trent Valley route but even on my pretty decent new computer a few others have problems in some areas - the Wherry Lines around Norwich (which I'm sure ran smoother on my old computer on TS2016), and the Kyle Line struggles due to a lot of vegetation in places. Edited by Reorte

Guest pboeast

Try Train Sim. They have all sorts. Another option is to hire a game developer. My daughter's cab control system was derived this way.

Go on youtube and search for 'Squirrel sims' and you'll find all you need.

• 4 weeks later...

Highly recommend getting the Train Sim World Great Western Package - I got it this weekend from Steam and am addicted to it! It is so so much better than the existing Train Sim as there is much more things you can do, I especially like the feature where you can travel on the train as a passenger, going round exploring stations, especially both Paddington & Reading!

Sam

• RMweb Premium

Trainz 2006 works just fine on Win10 and the graphics are far smoother than when using Win XP (what I had originally)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Thanks I might try that again. it does look like I'll lose stuff I've already downloaded. Although I've backed them up it looks like they won't transfer across. I was contemplating going for the latest Quran release but frankly I haven't a clue what that is. I did enjoy constructing then driving my routes

Edited by Legend

• 3 months later...

Been a while since anyone looked on here, it seems.

I run both my railway modelling and train simulator hobbies as one of the same really, with both having effects on each other. My recent Colliery Layout idea, for example, has been stongly influenced by a Train Simulator DLC Called 'Return to Maerdy', featuring the rationalised branch from Porth up to Maerdy Colliery, and including a pair of grimy Austerities and the little EE Type 3D 4wBE.

Equally, I frequently use TS for setting planned model railways into their real-world environments. This can be especially useful for not only scenery, but when real terrain data is imported it can dictate the orientation and postioning of sidings, running lines and singnalling. In one instance, on a Narrow Gauge layout I was planning, using the terrain data proved that in order to get trains up the 1 in 30 out of the station in one direction larger locos were needed or smaller ones needed banking. In the other direction the gradient levelled out. The Banking operation would've added interest to the layout, and would have a real-world reason for its occurrence.

Anyone else around here who uses a sim? 

Also, I've started a topic on the UKtrainsim forum about the same topic of simulators and railway modelling.