Kemilway

Blue Max

The middle of last year I ordered several 4mm etched coach kits from Kemilway which were paid for in October and was told at that time that the kits were in stock for despatch. To date I have not received the kits and have made repeated attempts to contact Kemilway both by e-mail and phone to ascertain the status with my order, without success.

Can anyone shed any light as to the status with Kemilway and if there are any factors that may be affecting the lack of communication from the company regarding my order.

Thanks in anticipation of any feedback.

Very much a part-time business, which is what I thought they were when they were resurrected in the early 2000s.

They also hold the old "Peter K" range of kits. Very difficult to get hold of at the best of times - I've been trying to track down inside motion etches which I know Peter K designed in the 1980s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Before posting a new message on this supplier I did a quick search and found this thread.

It appears that communication with Peter Dawson can be a little patchy.  Over 9 weeks ago I contacted him by e-mail to enquire about buying a 4mm scale LNER coaching stock underframe.  The response was prompt and positive although the item I wanted wasn't in stock.  A 6 week lead-time from the etchers was promised as was a promise to send me a Paypal request upon confirming my order.  I did this immediately and have heard absolutely nothing since.  Chased it up by e-mail and telephone but can get no answer by either method.

Is there any (useful) intelligence from the RMweb collective to shed any light on Mr. Dawson's silence?  If a PM reply is more appropriate then that is fine.

Cheers....Morgan 

I have had three orders with Kemilway over the years, all I would say is be patient. Two of my orders took around 12 months to arrive irrespective of how many calls I made and e-mails sent.

The etches will arrive eventually and are of excellent quality, so in the end I was pleased and this certainly won't put me off ordering further LNER coach etches in the future. 

Before posting a new message on this supplier I did a quick search and found this thread.

It appears that communication with Peter Dawson can be a little patchy.  Over 9 weeks ago I contacted him by e-mail to enquire about buying a 4mm scale LNER coaching stock underframe.  The response was prompt and positive although the item I wanted wasn't in stock.  A 6 week lead-time from the etchers was promised as was a promise to send me a Paypal request upon confirming my order.  I did this immediately and have heard absolutely nothing since.  Chased it up by e-mail and telephone but can get no answer by either method.

Is there any (useful) intelligence from the RMweb collective to shed any light on Mr. Dawson's silence?  If a PM reply is more appropriate then that is fine.

Cheers....Morgan

Earlier this year I managed to make contact by telephone. I asked about a specific loco kit and was assured that it could be sent within the month so I duly paid over the 'phone. Four weeks went by and nothing arrived so I managed after numerous telephone calls and e- mails to make contact again. The reply to my question ref the order was " sorry I forgot to speak to the etchers".

I was assured that I could have it within a fortnight, so once again I gave the benefit of the doubt to Kemilway and said 2 weeks max.

Yes..... You've guessed it, no kit what a surprise. It then took me a further 3 weeks to get a refund after a great deal of faffing about.

I cannot condone the way in which business is carried out by this trader whether part or full time trading of advertised products ( yes I've read the web site ref delivery) in my opinion this should not be allowed to happen.

If I want a model of said loco I will certainly be tempted to scratch build one in the future which is a great pity because I feel that the Peter K etches are of a good quality.

....I cannot condone the way in which business is carried out by this trader whether part or full time trading of advertised products ( yes I've read the web site ref delivery) in my opinion this should not be allowed to happen.....

At the end of the day, I get the impression that Kemilway / Peter K is not Mr. Dawson's full-time job and not the one that pays the bills. For him, it's probably just a sideline and - based on the unhappiness about notoriously lengthy timescales - it's not greatly important to him whether the range stands or falls.

i ordered a GER Little Sharpie in March 2013, paid via paypal and have never received anything. He did reply in Oct 2014 to an email, telling me it would be with me within a month, but i'm still waiting.

In about 2007 or so, I won a set of etchings for a 4mm scale GWR river (Peter K) which, it turned out was being sold by Mr Dawson. During the sale he advised me he could supply the castings so I emailed him expressing my interest. He would get back to me "right away" with a price so i could pay for them.

Still waiting!

Craig W

Archived