UK Stores that deduct the VAT on offseas purchases?

OnTheBranchline

Are they though? Only if they "reclaim" the VAT on what you buy, but don't deduct it from your invoice.

It just seems very odd that they will not remove the VAT and what do you gain from not doing it, why would you pay the Tax to the government when they are not entitled to it and effectively short change your customer? Its not like its a big deal to remove it. After all if you sell books and magazines they are VAT free as well......

• RMweb Premium

Adding to the list Gaugemaster will automatically deduct VAT at the cybertill stage as do Invicta.  Lord & Butler will do so if asked but are a smaller business.

Modelzone never did but I received assistance from an individual member of their staff through this site on one occasion.

Note that when purchasing in person you are entitled to the VAT deduction only if you then remove the goods in new condition (so not opened / used) from the EU within 30 (I think) days and intend to own them and retain them outside the EU for (again to the best of my knowledge) at least one year from date of purchase.  You claim the VAT back at your departure airport and not at the shop in such cases as the transaction is treated as a counter sale with the customer present.

Don't expect to get VAT-free sales at shows and exhibitions.

Do also check your local import regulations.  Some countries are remarkably generous, others very strict with the value of imported goods duty-free.  You, and no-one else, are responsible for paying any import duties and for knowing the rules.

• RMweb Premium

Adding to the list Gaugemaster will automatically deduct VAT at the cybertill stage as do Invicta.  Lord & Butler will do so if asked but are a smaller business.

Modelzone never did but I received assistance from an individual member of their staff through this site on one occasion.

Note that when purchasing in person you are entitled to the VAT deduction only if you then remove the goods in new condition (so not opened / used) from the EU within 30 (I think) days and intend to own them and retain them outside the EU for (again to the best of my knowledge) at least one year from date of purchase.  You claim the VAT back at your departure airport and not at the shop in such cases as the transaction is treated as a counter sale with the customer present.

Don't expect to get VAT-free sales at shows and exhibitions.

Do also check your local import regulations.  Some countries are remarkably generous, others very strict with the value of imported goods duty-free.  You, and no-one else, are responsible for paying any import duties and for knowing the rules.

By far the easiest way to deal with VAT, is to get the retailer to post it to the buyers home address. That is the proof (of posting) that retailers need that the goods have left the country, for a non-EU destination. I haven't tried it, but I suspect it should work at exhibitions etc, as long as the retailer is happy to take it back to his premises & deals with it as a normal Mail Order. Remember the idea is to make your order the least inconvenience to ALL parties.

Yes, I suspect its possible to reclaim VAT, at the departure point, but normally, I suspect its doing it the hard way.

If I remember correctly, even Hattons used to not deduct VAT, but didn't charge postage, but I suspect that was back in the early days of VAT. It was also a much lower rate IIRC.

• 1 month later...

I've used Hattons, Rails of Sheffield, Trains4U, The Model Centre, Kernow and Gaugemaster. Main difference being the postage: some are a great deal more expensive than others. I would prefer international signed for as an *option* rather than compulsory as I usually take the cheapest shipping when I can.

A good website makes a difference to me too. If I can find all your products with ease and check out online I'm very happy. The Model Centre even take PayPal, which I like a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Our checkout at Track-shack automatically deducts VAT for non-EU countries, and calculates shipping based on the weight of your order, so there's no surprises, you can see the exact costs before you pay.  It's not rocket science....you just need a good system.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Adding to the list Gaugemaster will automatically deduct VAT at the cybertill stage as do Invicta.  

My previous dealings with Invicta always had VAT removed.

I placed an order within the past month which did not, and which did not even suggest it would be deducted.  With their site accepting my billing and delivery address (which are the same) in Australia the full UK counter-purchase price was charged.  I have emailed them asking if this is a change, an oversight or something else and have yet to receive a reply.

A simple guide, if buying in person, and leaving eu, you most likely need to get the retailer to supply the VAT refund form if he is VAT registered. If the UK guy is a small trader, it may not pay him to register for VAT, in particular if not dealing with other VAT registered companies, and he is adding value to the item. A simple guide on how to reclaim  http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/Heathrow/Static/PDF/Airport_guide/vat-refund-leaflet_EN.pdf    More details here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-7041-tax-free-shopping-in-the-uk/vat-notice-7041-tax-free-shopping-in-the-uk

Mail order is easier!

DCKits ( www.dckits-devideos.co.uk ) in Leeds (Home of Legomanbiffo Digital Sounds) do the overseas VAT reduction system, the problem for smaller companies is buying/setting up of the whole Online VAT & Without VAT system, all we do is 'AUTOMATICALLY' on booking out the Sagepay transaction is deduct the VAT from the products purchased, the VAT is included on the UK postage element though.  All I suggest if unsure, is to contact the retailer and ask.  The well known Olivia Trains customer service!!!!!! is legendary so it comes as no surprise them refusing all VAT refunds.   The customer should select the 'NICE' suppliers and name and shame the bad ones.

Charlie 

• RMweb Gold

If the UK guy is a small trader, it may not pay him to register for VAT, in particular if not dealing with other VAT registered companies, and he is adding value to the item.

Mail order is easier!

If the trader is not registered for VAT then he cannot charge VAT. Therefore there is nothing to deduct.

The customer should select the 'NICE' suppliers and name and shame the bad ones.

Charlie 

All traders who charge VAT are obliged to provide you with a VAT receipt. This is your proof that you paid VAT and can use this when claiming a refund.

I admit that it is far simpler from the customer's viewpoint if VAT is not charged on items being sent outside the EU.

In  UK shops, it is usual for consumer items to show the total sale price including the VAT. It is not obvious to the purchaser if the supplier is vat registered, or not. In USA, for example, it seems to be more normal to show the selling price, and the sales tax shown as an additional separate amount. If the seller is VAT registered, he is not required to give a receipt showing VAT, for smaller value sales, but should give you a VAT invoice if you ask for one. As I mentioned earlier, you need more than just the invoice if you want to reclaim VAT, (if living outside EU, personally bought the goods in UK, etc, etc).

wrt VAT registration, if your business turnover is less than £70,000 pa, then you need not register, (the threshold depends on the type of business). So if, as an unregistered business, you buy, say, a second hand loco for £30.00, repair it, weather it, sell it on to a customer  for £120.00, then you have made £90.00 on the deal (less labour/materials etc.). If you are registered for VAT, then you have to charge £120.00 +20% to the customer, for you to make the same £90.00 - (you'll make a bit more if you have VAT invoices for the repair/weathering materials).

It is all sort of complicated, and what sellers say, and in reality what actually happens can be different - thinking along the ads where they say 'no VAT to pay', and such like.  I can imagine the fun if you buy clothes for adults and children at the same time, and are trying to claim the refund at the airport if some are being worn.

My previous dealings with Invicta always had VAT removed.

I placed an order within the past month which did not, and which did not even suggest it would be deducted.  With their site accepting my billing and delivery address (which are the same) in Australia the full UK counter-purchase price was charged.  I have emailed them asking if this is a change, an oversight or something else and have yet to receive a reply.

All qualifying sales we make should have the VAT automatically deducted at checkout, so there should have been no problem with your order. 

Other recent overseas orders have had the VAT automatically deducted, so we cannot say why you have had a problem.

We have not received any e mails re a VAT refund/problem, so if you'd like to e mail us again @ invictamodelrail@btconnect.com, with your name & order details we will try to sort it out for you.

Kind Regards

Kerry

Invicta Model Rail, Sidcup, Kent

• RMweb Premium

Re Invicta it seems I shall have to eat some humble pie. I have reviewed my order and note that it does not at any stage refer to VAT (which it would by default for an EU customer) and I have therefore become a little confused.  

I have replicated my ordering process to confirm what happens.  Note that I don't have automatic sign-in nor even an account with Invicta as they are not one of my regular suppliers.  Some sort of geolocation (IP number, perhaps) has identified my location relative to theirs in the background.

The item in question is priced at £29.99 and when I click "Add to cart" the item is duly added to the cart.  However the cart price is only £24.99 again with no mention of why this variation might arise and no reference to VAT.  My order has been correctly charged at £24.99 but you may be able to see how this confusion has arisen in that I have perhaps mentally blanked the £5 differential and simply taken the checkout price as being VAT-inclusive.

The email enquiry was sent to the correct address and remains in my "Sent Mail" folder so its non-arrival can only be attributed to electronic systems failure somewhere in cyberspace.  That wouldn't be the first time.

My apologies to Invicta and to other modellers as nothing in my post was intended in any way to cast doubt on their processes or reputation.

Screenshot of the replicated ordering.

post-3305-0-41451500-1440858861_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

It is tricky. Most of the suppliers from whom I have purchased online will remove the VAT.

I was recently surprised to learn that recent incarnations of the Hornby website apparently automatically remove the VAT when they display prices, even before you log in, presumably by looking at the IP address.

It's confusing, since there is nothing that says the VAT is being removed, but apparently, it is.

• 5 months later...

From my experience - Hattons, Rails of Sheffield and Sheffield Transport Models all automatically deduct VAT somewhere in the checking out process.  Often times if a website isn't clear, I just shoot a short email to the "contact" address.  To be honest when shopping I consider the "price" to be the bottom line figure.  How it is "split up" between product, VAT, postage etc etc etc isn't all that relevant. 

Archived