UK Stores that deduct the VAT on offseas purchases?

OnTheBranchline

I do, at C&M Models in Carlisle.

I would imagine that most, if not all, models shops who are VAT registered within the UK would be able/willing to do the same. There is no harm in asking shops if they will deduct VAT from items sent to overseas countries that are outside the EU.

The major retailers deduct VAT. Smaller ones may not because they must be registered in order to do so. I have been told that a shop has to have a significant turnover (~75,000 pounds) before being eligible for VAT reg. I am also informed that it's a paperwork work nightmare so the one man band places will struggle. Quite often the Terms and Conditions on the website will say whether VAT is deducted. I tend to avoid those traders who don't deduct VAT, especially those who sell the commodities that can be had almost anywhere (like RTR stock). There are traders who have exclusive product's and in this case, assuming I REALLY want what's on offer, I will suck it up.

John

As confirmed above - many do as I have had that experience.

Note though: Even if they are also a "bricks and mortar" presence, don't buy from eBay listing of any such stores and expect VAT to be deducted.

Due to their agreement with eBay they have to sell for the price listed on "Buy it Now" for example. If the store offers something you want on eBay but ALSO has a non-eBay method of ordering the same thing, choose the latter to get the benefit of VAT deduction...

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

VAT registered retailers can refund if going outside Europe, there is approved paperwork which is tied to their Quarterly VAT Returns. Individuals need to take care as they maybe worse off if their Country decides to levy Import Tax, instead of paying UK VAT. It has been known for individuals to seek a Refund either on leaving the UK (Customs) or when they arrive home. If Retailers are in doubt then they can contact their nearest HMRC office.

• RMweb Gold

The major retailers deduct VAT. Smaller ones may not because they must be registered in order to do so. I have been told that a shop has to have a significant turnover (~75,000 pounds) before being eligible for VAT reg. I am also informed that it's a paperwork work nightmare so the one man band places will struggle. Quite often the Terms and Conditions on the website will say whether VAT is deducted. I tend to avoid those traders who don't deduct VAT, especially those who sell the commodities that can be had almost anywhere (like RTR stock). There are traders who have exclusive product's and in this case, assuming I REALLY want what's on offer, I will suck it up.

John

Currently the threshold above which VAT registration is compulsory is  £81,000 pa .  You can still register for VAT even if your turnover is less than that.  If the shop has not registered then  the VAT the shop pays on its supplies can't be claimed back. Shops who are not registered for VAT do not charge VAT so there is no VAT to deduct for overseas purchases.  The paperwork is quite straight forward, but any trader who can't do it will probably have an accountant to look after the paperwork.

Note though: Even if they are also a "bricks and mortar" presence, don't buy from eBay listing of any such stores and expect VAT to be deducted.

Due to their agreement with eBay they have to sell for the price listed on "Buy it Now" for example. If the store offers something you want on eBay but ALSO has a non-eBay method of ordering the same thing, choose the latter to get the benefit of VAT deduction...

Also be aware of UK listings on other eBay sites eg. eBay.com

Rails of Sheffield, Eileen's Emporium,  rebate VAT too.

Not Olivias!:

'We Do Not Deduct VAT Worldwide.'

http://www.oliviastrains.com/terms-conditions/

They do have an odd and potential contradiction there though - one reason (before I read this thread?!?!?! ) that I wasn't interested in buying from them;

Item #12 - All prices include VAT where applicable

Item #13 - We Do Not Deduct VAT Worldwide

So, since VAT is NOT applicable for sales to me in the US, does #12 hold true i.e. no VAT because not applicable, or does #13 overrule it?? :jester:  :O  :butcher:

• 1 month later...

VAT registered retailers can refund if going outside Europe, there is approved paperwork which is tied to their Quarterly VAT Returns. Individuals need to take care as they maybe worse off if their Country decides to levy Import Tax, instead of paying UK VAT. It has been known for individuals to seek a Refund either on leaving the UK (Customs) or when they arrive home. If Retailers are in doubt then they can contact their nearest HMRC office.

Been there got the T-shirt!

DJH were happy to deduct UK VAT on an order for a couple of 0 gauge locos that I bought. Unfortunately the Thai authorities then decided to add 20% import duty (having first asked for an exact count of the number of parts in the kits!) and then added 7% VAT on top. All subsequent purchases have been in the UK!

On the other hand, smaller value orders from suppliers such as Eileen's and Markits have been VAT deducted and without import duty. I guess there is a threshold in each country.

Yes, each country has individual import duty regulations. In Switzerland if the VAT value (Swiss VAT) is more than 5 francs you have to pay duty, which correlates to a value of about 60 francs (only on packages by post....on foot you dont pay up to 300 francs). If you have to pay you pay a fixed fee of 12 francs from the EU and 16 from the UK (I don't know why itis like that since uk is in the EU), the Swiss VAT of 8% and 3% duty...the good tthing is that the regulations are applicable to almost all goods and you can calculate what you will pay....

Pete, from experience product liability insurance for the US is quite high. As far as I'm aware this shouldn't affect the retailer as liability would rest with the manufacturer. 

Typically the kind of product liability insurance you need to match claims in the US is somewhat higher than that on offer by British insurers and you have to shop around and pay quite a premium. 

Exporting to Australia has other issues, for example product testing regulations that are somewhat different from those that apply to Europe or the US, and the costs that go with. 

Most online shopping carts can be configured to add VAT country-by-country. Once set up retailers shouldn't have to "deduct" VAT from a purchase; the cart simply doesn't add it in the first place.  

I’d like to see an American consumer try to sue an English company under American law. One must assume that that has actually happened?  Why is Canada included?

EDIT:  Actually come to think of it both companies that refused my orders were also manufacturers of parts on a small scale and not purely retailers. The reason why I gave up ideas for a P4 layout - my excuse anyway....

Best, Pete.

Where complaining to the vendor does not work the purchaser has redress to Trading Standards. Complaints by consumers from abroad are normally followed up by the Trading Standards for the county in which the vendor is based. This gives foreign consumers who have reason to complain a way of moving their complaint forward using an independent and authoritative body. Trading Standards might, for example, take action where a product is faulty and has caused injury. One example a few years back was where switching power supplies sourced from a particular manufacturer in the FE were failing to meet safety standards (the plastic casing was crumbling, exposing the pins that were live to people's fingers). These had flowed through to consumers around the world and Trading Standards started a series of spot checks and inspecting random samples.  

Archived