Oldwood, a layout/diorama from leftover bits and bobs!

big jim

• RMweb Gold

being as its a bit too cold to be working in the shed at the moment so i've decided to build a little layout using bits and bobs i've got left over from various layouts etc

i've got a baseboard ready made, only 4 ft by 18" which ive decided to use for whatever i decide to build (i will have to add a fiddle yard at some point!)

i want the layout to be self contained with fold up legs which i've actually started to build, just off to B&Q to get some coach bolts for that job

as for what i'm going to build, havent got a clue really but left over bits i have are things like.....

haljan tackley station

Bachmann brewery warehouse

peco platform edges

bridge girder sides

various points

code 75 track

lots of fencing

the one idea i have in my head is not particualrly inspiring but a modern day single rationalized terminus station on a former double track line using "tackley" as a new station on the former trackbed with the peco platform edges behind (think shotton low level)

the other idea i was thinking is a lead heading off into a wagon shop (possibly situated in and around the Bachmann warehouse) so i can run various single wagons in and out of the layout "for repair"

ideally i'd like to use this layout as something to practice my scenic skills on rather than being prototypically correct 

i'll try and get started on it tomorrow and will post pics as i go along 

• RMweb Gold

right, got the baseboard in earlier to make a start on it (excuse the messy dining room!)......

4ft x 1ft (not 18" as i though)

4C061AFD-50DF-407D-9850-549040461C20.jpg

it is designed to be table mounted with little mini feet however i've decided to add legs to it to make it freestanding

i'd already drilled a couple of holes to fit the legs last week, got some M6 coach bolts with wingnuts and fitted up the first one

D6022A4C-5EC1-4866-A4C2-F849A4868229.jpg

next up i fitted the leg to the other end of the board, which i've mounted lower than the opposite end so they fold inside each other, once the other legs are fitted i'll add a cross member to secure the 2 same side legs together

A1A3A799-31DE-42A1-B69F-3BA3832D6BFB.jpg

and folded out

3EA55F5D-7BE5-473E-A49B-39886838D7EA.jpg

so folded them back up and had a play with a few ideas of what i want to do.

to give you an idea of how little space i have, here is the Heljan tackley station, i've had to move the ramp from the end to get it to fit

E5A7A4C8-FECF-49DF-8640-2878A4131226.jpg

see, told you it was small, the station doesnt even hold a 150, i can get away with it as the passenger doors are on the platform

ACD7974D-A7F4-4207-B17A-1561A81551E3.jpg

which leaves me with this much space at the other end

4A47610C-044B-42D1-81E2-954F376DAE0C.jpg

digging out a Bachmann brewery ive had for years i placed it at the opposite end as what i hoped to be the "scenic break" for the exit to the fiddle yard (when its built!)

185DD32F-CBFF-4ED3-BF55-D07F759949CC.jpg

then placing some track down i moved the building about a bit to experiment with angles, you will have to imagine this bit but the line coming in from the bottom right will actually be a double track line which will continue over a bridge (where the girders are placed) and continue round alongside the platform line (where the cargowaggon is at the top), there will be a single set of small points bringing a siding back down over the girder bridge to the left of the warehouse

F1C09952-40CB-4733-BAAA-A703299171D9.jpg

as can be seen here

04A6A4B5-BF30-40F6-AD24-AB42AE2847AC.jpg

the small points will along side the 150 about level with the cab, giving a nice tight curve into the yard

3AEEBA84-9A02-4C98-A311-06F483A799D7.jpg

once i've decided where the bridges are going to be i'll cut out the top board to "look down" to the riverbed, i've decided to steer away from the wagon shop as there quite simply there isnt the room on the board so i've decided on a single siding with a transhipment platform, it can handle the likes of a cargowaggon or a megabox full of scrap etc

i've worked out there is enough room for a cargowaggon (my longest wagon) and a shunter (03 in this case) between the layout end and points

9C19D791-62BC-4EE9-821C-B9255685CDC6.jpg

the "method of work" will be the mainline loco will propel a wagon onto the layout and stop at a "stop board" on the bridge, the shunter will then draw forward and pick up the wagon and manouvre it into the sidings, you will have to imagine that the "run round loop" is off scene, the points will be worked by a groundframe as the signal box is now derelect

03 sat on what will be the girder bridge into the siding, the railside walls for the transhipment platform can be seen alongside the cargowaggon with the roadside face alongside the girder at the bottom, obviously the void between will be filled with "platform", the ramp up and down will be next to the warehouse at 90 degree to the track

91C4BC85-2869-4036-AA03-C6219243AAF1.jpg

i haven't decided if i want to make the platform triangular or rectangular though.

triangular fills up the space at the bottom

A92E8F9E-713D-4453-A4CE-8D81A0291982.jpg

square gives me a bit of room for a 1/2 relief road bridge

279E0AF6-3EB4-4FE6-95CA-07C4B13D2C61.jpg

my intention with this layout is to make it viewable and workable from all sides so there wont be a backscene on it, here are some views of it from various angles

451B2811-34C3-4125-991D-3FF3E5C188F9.jpg

EFBB4F5F-DA5D-4E6F-8197-1C11EAED1A3E.jpg

394A14EC-EA72-4934-A0FC-124F702C18A0.jpg

44466D8B-7C60-4474-B48C-193B5126FEA0.jpg

40BFCBF2-1E6B-47E5-BC55-75749C1CE44C.jpg

so there we have it, hope to crack on with it pretty quickly, its going to be dcc controlled using my lenz controller, the one and only point will probably be controlled manually as its not worth fitting up an accessory decoder unless i use it to work a signal or layout lighting

Hi Jim

I really like the simplicity of this and the curves in the plan make it a bit more interesting.

I love a good small micro layout and i am looking forward to this developing.

Nice baseboards too.

Cheers

With that space I'd forgo a passenger service and concentrate on a purely freight location, just a thought, Jim.

I know we Brits think everywhere should have passengers, it took me a while to get over that when I moved here...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

With that space I'd forgo a passenger service and concentrate on a purely freight location, just a thought, Jim.

I know we Brits think everywhere should have passengers, it took me a while to get over that when I moved here...

Best, Pete.

i want a rationalised passenger line on there purely coz ive got a couple of units that havent seen the light of day since i bought them and the tackley station i bought i have no use for elsewhere

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

set out the track on the boards again earlier to get things lined up, mainly so i can work out where to cut the river bed out

one thing i have done is change the peco code 75 to C+L finescale track that i picked up from the stafford show, i will be using a peco point though as i can't justify the cost of a point kit (and i don't have the skill to build one!)

ACDEBEC4-E195-4B85-A1C0-0FC38E248DB2.jpg

should look good!

DE01B100-6A8D-437C-A3DF-9B7C82F8A390.jpg

i then positioned the various bridge girders on the board, the top is the platform line and shunt line towards the siding, the small "V" between the plate and girder bridges will be cut out, similarly the large area between the girder bridge and the single bottom plate girder will be cut out, the area below the girder to the board edge will be a 1/2 relief road bridge

50CBC668-2579-48BE-833D-24C6668CFA53.jpg

i was thinking about the loading platform but then hit on a different idea, using more bits i got from stafford and a peco platform edge i thought of putting the loading bays on the warehouse as a "modernisation" to the old building, that would then leave me with a nice area i can have as a hard standing with inset track

DF1D2E5F-01ED-4D25-87BF-CE327F18C822.jpg

another view

4FD0374D-80EE-4D71-AE9B-87BBF3C5814B.jpg

class 70 waiting for its wagon to be returned!

FCB96CE1-496A-4C37-956B-F83B6609C852.jpg

and its back

4BB4E8A5-5E6B-4600-8756-EC377A1C8460.jpg

different view.

once the river channel is cut in i've decided that the area on the other bank to the warehouse (closest the camera in the above picture) will be some sort of scrap yard/processor to justify the siding handling megaboxes with scrap loads

i have now however put the board away for a week or so as i'm off on a lodge turn in gloucester for the week, i will try and get the final legs done tomorrow before i go though!

• RMweb Gold

Ive been having a think about the point in the layout and rather than compromise and put the peco point in i've thought about going down the marcway route after being pointed toward them by andy Y at stafford on sunday as it is cheaper than the c+l point kit route (and i dont have the skills to build a point) however i'm confused by which point to get as i really dont understand radius' (radii)

To be honest the code 75 peco point isn't really sharp enough, what radius are those normally (in inches)

The tightest marcway point is a 36' radius would that be sharper, or indeed too sharp for the likes of the cargowaggon and 03 to realistically negociate?

Can i get a marcway template from anywhere to print off and place on the board to see how it would look (ie on templot)

• RMweb Premium

To be honest the code 75 peco point isn't really sharp enough, what radius are those normally (in inches)

Hi Jim,

As a comparison, Here's a list of Peco Code 75 pointwork radii

The curved point is 60 outer, 30" inner.

Large - 60"

Medium - 36"

Short - 24"

The cargowaggon and 03 would probably get down to 18", although pushing may be "interesting" and there would be a considerable overhang on the cargowaggon.

Realistically, you probably want to keep the curves at 24" and above.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

so the short peco point on the layout is 24" radius?

would a marcway 36" radius point be equivalent lengthwise to a medium radius peco point? (give or take a few MM)

Probably - it may be worth a call to Marcway to check.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

I tried a couple of turnouts in Templot (with a bit of guessing of your baseboard).

This one is a 9ft + 1:4.5 turnout having a radius of 25":

post-1103-0-44283300-1391755616.png

This one is a 9ft + 1:5.5 turnout having a radius of 38", which has the effect of shortening the headshunt by about an inch (14" instead of 15"):

post-1103-0-99279900-1391755614.png

They are simple straight turnouts with curviform crossings. If you don't feel confident about building one yourself, you might find someone on RMweb willing to build it for you. There are a few members on here who offer custom pointwork building:

post-1103-0-87345000-1391755318.png

Here is the PDF file for accurate 00-BF templates:

jims_turnouts.pdf

edit: if printing the above from your PDF reader, be sure to set 100% No Page Scaling.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

martin, thats fantastic, thank you very much!

i think it would have to be the first shorter one as the headshunt is quite tight as it is

i'll must still admit the numbers mean nothing to me but basically if someone could build the point for me i take it they use the template you have kindly provided to build from? also would a custom builder make it from a generic kit (ie marcway) or build it from individual componants?

• RMweb Gold

i do have a spare small Y which for the road into the warehouse looked spot on when i was experimenting with setups, however as i still want a separate line for the freight loco to enter the layout it just didnt work unfortunatly

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

called in trident trains in daglields earlier for a nose round and purely by chance i asked richard if he ever got any hand made track in 2nd hand, low and behold he disapeared into the back and came back with a box of 'build it yourself' scaleway points, the plastic variety, out of which i got a 3ft point for £5, at that price its worth a go to try and build one, he also had things like catch points which if i manage to build the first succesfully i may get too

Archived