Concrete solution to the Victoria Line Signalling...

Reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago about an 'incident' while a new tram system was being built. Apparently, a 'hole' appeared where work was going on. Knowing the area had a lot of uncharted caves, the order was given to pour a lorry load of concrete in to try to stop any further collapses. That didn't seem to work so another load was put in, which still didn't have any effect. Several more loads were then dumped in.........................to one of the main city centre sewers  :this:  :banghead:

• RMweb Gold

Some time in the late '60s, there were big doings at what had been Nine Elms loco shed. This was the first stage of it becoming the new Covent Garden Market, and it involved lots of poured concrete. Until the concrete went "off" the trains couldn't safely run on several of the 7 adjoining lines - and someone got the mix wrong. Precise details elude me, but the evening peak, at least, was a total shambles.

Going back to the original post, will anyone be brought to book for this? What about compensation for those forced to make far longer journeys?

Because we now live in a "no blame culture" society this probably means nobody will be held responsible. Does anybody else think this why these acts of complete ineptitude happen?

Speculation maybe, but there is an awful lot of big construction work going on in the Victoria area at the moment, with plenty of concrete being poured. As gravity works best downhill, and the Victoria line is underground, you can guess my thoughts? And the SER is I think, at the end of the platform, next to the running line too. Might actually get to have a look tomorrow? It might affect some of my equipment too.

Stewart

edit: re travel compensation, I understand Tfl does do this especially with Oysters. As I never pay though, I never tried claiming.

• RMweb Gold

Those pictures, in the links posted above, seem to show that the concrete pouring in that room was deliberate.

The 'splash marks' are consistent with local pouring and there has been some attempt at levelling the mixture after the pour - despite the proximity of bare electrical panels!

My only question is - was this done by concrete contractors with no understanding of the room's contents or was it S&T personnel with no understanding of concrete pouring and things got out of hand?

Kev.

Edit - further thoughts/doubts...

Hmm... I don't know. Maybe I just got this completely wrong.

I will await the official findings...

It seems curious to me that damage to this one room affects so much. I know everything is about big centralised control these days, but surely if so much control is in one place shouldn't there be some sort of backup in a separate location incase of any issues with the first?

Maybe that is indeed the case, but it takes a while to switch over and that's what they're currently doing? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Do the relays need to move ? or will the concrete just protect them from damage ?  I work best with fibreglass so don't know concrete.  Thanks  Duncan

There is a lot of water in concrete so anything electrical will short out, long before it gets into relays...

...I presume this was an unmarked cable duct that was open to the void they were filling. The underground is pretty labyrinthine so this was a real risk when undertaking such an operation. As mentioned, it's happened before with contractors filling sewers but that's probably a bit easier to fix!

Is there any test procedure for checking physically if there's any connecting spaces I wonder? Of course the weight of concrete could have broken through a weak portion of wall I suppose...

TTFN

Ben

Archived