Concrete solution to the Victoria Line Signalling...

Going back to the original post, will anyone be brought to book for this? What about compensation for those forced to make far longer journeys?

What would you think appropriate? Life imprisonment? Flogging? Firing? Or a lecture on doing the job properly and closer supervision until the person has proved this was a one-off mistake?

Sorry, but us outside immediately looking for a scapegoat to blame (rather than thinking, someone made a mistake, but hopefully they'll learn from it), is perhaps why we have so many occasions where the people involved immediately look to shift or deflect blame ... hence:

Because we now live in a "no blame culture" society this probably means nobody will be held responsible. Does anybody else think this why these acts of complete ineptitude happen?

Not me - because things have always gone wrong. It's not a new phenomenon. I'd say that there are fewer serious errors in engineering/architecture, at least in this country, than you might have expected 200-100 years ago. Any casual reading of the histories of building Britain's railways would contain plenty of people killed by runaways, rock falls, explosives going off early, tunnel roof collapses ...

And strangely, not so many years ago everyone on forums used to complain about "blame culture", where someone had to be found responsible, and preferably prosecuted.

• RMweb Gold

So all is back to normal and the TfL website currently shows that meaningless term 'Good Service' for the Victoria Line.  According to BBC London yesterday evening the concrete was poured by contractors working on soem sort of 'improvement' work at Victoria station - without mentioning whose Victoria station - and all was promised to eb well by this morning.  

Much to my surprise all is indeed well this morning which suggests either an extremely impressive clean up or that there just happens to be a duplicate equipment room and all that was needed was a changeover  (or maybe the 'concrete' wasn't quite what it was thought to be?).  All in all I suspect someone is going to receive a rather large bill for both the mess in the equipment room and the mess created in yesterday's train service - then their lawyers will argue it wasn't their fault and so the legal battle will commence and the biggest beneficiaries will, as usual, be the legal trade.

There's a better selection of comments on the District Dave forum. The relay room was reportedly at Pimlico. the Vi line is reported to be back to normal this morning.

linky: http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/23278/victoria-line-concrete-issue?page=3&scrollTo=381207

Going back to the original post, will anyone be brought to book for this? What about compensation for those forced to make far longer journeys?

Jeff, as an ex employee of London Transport the chances of that are about as likely as Mr Cameron inviting Arthur Scargill to be an advisor to the government on Industrial Relations  procedures. :jester:

There is one of these signalling rooms on each station site. On the Victoria line, automatic operation has always been used, though the signalling system has recently been upgraded, whilst retaining much of the original infrastructure. In simple terms, the trains control the signals, which control the trains, which control the signals....etc etc. There is no easy access to rooms for everyone. All  personnel have to be certified to enter secure rooms, and sign out keys, especially for SER's (signal rooms). From what I've heard (don't shoot the messenger if I'm wrong though) it was Victoria and the SER there also controls either side *(which includes Pimlico). There is massive reconstruction going on at Victoria Underground station, also much building work in the area at ground level. The concrete (or possibly more accurately cement?) was being poured in conjuction with escalator work, and seeped into the SER. As with any signalling, no chances were taken and the line was suspended, but was fully operational when I came in this morning, amazing!

Stewart

Rather than concrete or bentonite, the mix in the photos looked like a very liquid grout; the sort of stuff that would be used to fill small cracks behind tunnel segments and similar. it's possible, depending on the pressure it was being applied under, that it may have even disturbed some rendering on the inside of the room that it entered; in that case, they might not have been aware of a crack until it was too late. They did well to sort it out that quickly.

• RMweb Gold

Rather than concrete or bentonite, the mix in the photos looked like a very liquid grout; the sort of stuff that would be used to fill small cracks behind tunnel segments and similar. it's possible, depending on the pressure it was being applied under, that it may have even disturbed some rendering on the inside of the room that it entered; in that case, they might not have been aware of a crack until it was too late. They did well to sort it out that quickly.

Lots of the fast setting and self levelling mixes use small particles of aggregate instead of 20mm ballast, as it binds to the admixes more easily. But when it cures it's the devils own job to take even a small part of it apart.

What would you think appropriate? Life imprisonment? Flogging? Firing? Or a lecture on doing the job properly and closer supervision until the person has proved this was a one-off mistake?

Sorry, but us outside immediately looking for a scapegoat to blame (rather than thinking, someone made a mistake, but hopefully they'll learn from it), is perhaps why we have so many occasions where the people involved immediately look to shift or deflect blame ... hence:

Not me - because things have always gone wrong. It's not a new phenomenon. I'd say that there are fewer serious errors in engineering/architecture, at least in this country, than you might have expected 200-100 years ago. Any casual reading of the histories of building Britain's railways would contain plenty of people killed by runaways, rock falls, explosives going off early, tunnel roof collapses ...

And strangely, not so many years ago everyone on forums used to complain about "blame culture", where someone had to be found responsible, and preferably prosecuted.

Well that does sound very reasonable and modern. I am an industrial electrican and in 46 years in the game I have yet to see an instance of somebody learning from not getting told they have made a mistake, and being brought to book for it, including me. Quoting things like flogging simply takes the discussion to absurb levels to try and make a person with different views seem ridiculous. I am tired of hearing spokespersons saying that lessons will be learned following some major cock up. Most of the lessons they refair to have been learnt and forgotten or not passed on. 

A point to consider is this, if this room full of control equipment, can suddenly and unexpectantly fill with concrete. It can also suddenly fill with water. And nobody bothered to check, yes a firm never mind then should sort that out for the future! Instead of thinking about a "blame culture" try thinking about a responsibility culture.

Wow, a big pat of the back for the quick acting folk that cleared up that mess, an incredible piece of emergency remediation. I think quite a few people were bracing themselves for a hefty bit of disruption after that, so pretty incredible to get it back online so fast!

Just shows the kind of pressures that even foamed concrete can exert on its containment. I guess they had no idea that it was just a wall between the void being filled and the SER.

TTFN,

Ben

Archived