31-463 SE&CR liveried C Class no. 271

Paul.Uni

I saw that and agree, a very bright photo.

Which begs a question. What green was used for wainwright simplified livery?

1) Bradley and other sources say it was the same green as "complex" livery

2) however in the 1970,s bluebell C used a lighter green for this livery

Bachmann seem to have gone for the latter. Anyone know if the SECR used 2 different greens?

I,ve been re-reading Bradley. The simplified livery at first used the same green but was varnished like the complex livery.

Within a short time, the varnishing step was dropped, causing it to look lighter.

Viola mystery resolved.

I already ordered one when they were first announced. This will be my 3rd SECR coloured C class (592, grey one now this), after that I think I will stop at 3 Cs. That brings to 5 RTR mass produced SECR coloured locos.

Looks like I'll be adding another C Class to my collection. I did wonder quite which variation of SE&CR livery Bachmann were planning to produce.

Presumably this is the same livery which was applied to some of the later Wainwright locos, such as the J tank and L Class?

I am certain it is the same green as used on the first C class. With plainer lining.

This would be technically correct.

The livery portayed is Wainwright Simplified Green as used briefly pre-WW1.  It came about after Wainwright had his knuckles rapped for wasting a lot of paint on goods engines!  The term SECR Plain Green is normally used when refering to Maunsell's livery as applied between WW1 and grouping.  This was darker and had no lining.

As I was after a plain loco I've cancelled my pre-order.

The livery portayed is Wainwright Simplified Green as used briefly pre-WW1.  It came about after Wainwright had his knuckles rapped for wasting a lot of paint on goods engines!  The term SECR Plain Green is normally used when refering to Maunsell's livery as applied between WW1 and grouping.  This was darker and had no lining.

As I was after a plain loco I've cancelled my pre-order.

Thanks for the info, could you quote me a source for that so I can investigate further? My understanding is that there was nothing but grey until grouping came along.

Page 6, "The Locomotive History of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway" by DL Bradley - this is the revised 1980 edition, the earlier 1961 edition was a much smaller book.

It does go on to say that Wainwright's simplified livery only lasted from late 1910 until 1915, and as a result of the war relatively few locos received this treatment.

This is what I'd expect if somethign is labelled SECR Plain Green : http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/991c002m.html

Bachmann have still produced a nice model, but I can't see it selling as well as the original fully lined version.

Hi Jack,

I have the Bradley edition and - unless I missed it - he makes no mention of a Mausell post war green.

I know Bluebell painted their C class in a dark green at first, bug they also did Muasell coaches in blue, terriers in Black in those far off early days. So I am not sure how reliable photos of the C are with reference to being a true colour.

Wrenn used a dark green on there R1 SECR class, but this is clearly based on a photo taken when she had Wainwright simplified livery so we know when they portray the engine and hence got it wrong.

Finally Sorry to be a pain to want to get to an authoritive or primary source..... But I,m keen to learn about Muasell late plain green livery.

Rgds John

I have the Bradley edition and - unless I missed it - he makes no mention of a Mausell post war green.

Sorry, should have said post-1915 in my original post.  Explained in last para of p6.

I know Bluebell painted their C class in a dark green at first, bug they also did Muasell coaches in blue, terriers in Black in those far off early days. So I am not sure how reliable photos of the C are with reference to being a true colour.

Plate 33 shows P class 178 in the livery the Bluebell has replicated.  Plates 78 - 80 also show the plain green livery on an S and two E1s.

Sorry, should have said post-1915 in my original post.  Explained in last para of p6.

Plate 33 shows P class 178 in the livery the Bluebell has replicated.  Plates 78 - 80 also show the plain green livery on an S and two E1s.

Curious, mine too is the 1981 revised edition, but the photo is not on the same page. Paragraph 6 is I admit not clear as it says "unvarnished green" which implies same green without varnish.

Agree that plate of 178 says Olive green is unlined along with the other pictures you quote. Thanks for your help.

Curious, mine too is the 1981 revised edition

I have the 1980 edition and as we have found in the past, Bradley's editions did change remarkably with each reprint. It is still a very good book though, thanks for the excuse to dig through one of my favourites again!

Curious, mine too is the 1981 revised edition, but the photo is not on the same page. Paragraph 6 is I admit not clear as it says "unvarnished green" which implies same green without varnish.

Agree that plate of 178 says Olive green is unlined along with the other pictures you quote. Thanks for your help.

I don't know for certain but I'd assume varnishing would make the green paint appear darker.

New style of painting first introduced 1912, which was far less elaborate than previously in vogue. The familiar SE&CR dark green remained unchanged as also did the brown under-framing. The lining consisted of a fine yellow line about 1½ inches inside the borders of cab sides, splashers and outside framing. All brightwork was painted over. From 1914 to Grouping all engines in for a repaint got battleship grey.

Source 'Britains Railway Liveries 1925-1948' by E F Carter :1952.

Whether or not it's something that people want to see, a "592" sold on ebay over the weekend for £274 plus p&p. Five individuals bid over £200.

Quite a popular little fella then! I wonder what the powers-that-be will or should make of that.

It wasn't mine - Item location shown as Mitcham, London.

RP

• RMweb Gold

Whether or not it's something that people want to see, a "592" sold on ebay over the weekend for £274 plus p&p. Five individuals bid over £200.

Quite a popular little fella then! I wonder what the powers-that-be will or should make of that.

It wasn't mine - Item location shown as Mitcham, London.

RP

Makes the one I saw at a swapmeet in November for £145 look downright reasonable; the vendor certainly didn't still have it by the January one!

John

• 1 month later...

No.592

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251479394633?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK

Winning bid:

£460.25

If someone wants to spend that sort of cash they must really love that model as it can hardly be seen as an investment, so why (also remembering the one that sold recently on ebay for £274) didn't they get stuck in when they were £69 pre-order from Liverpool.

I wonder by how much did demand outstrip supply?

This must surely be a freak occurrence and of no particular relevance to Bachmann and their future plans.

RP

Archived