RMweb

7mm coal

ThePurplePrimer

Hi guys

I am thinking about what I need to finish the 7mm coal wagon that I am building and I will need some scraps of coal and dust

Can you recommend a suitable product please

If the answer is real coal can you suggest where I can buy a small bag as according to a google search I don't have anyone close by that's sells real coal

Try Peco PS-41 "Imitation Coal"?  Should be available to order from most model shops.

You'll find it a bit "flat" so once in place dry-brush in one direction only a bit of gloss black paint which will give it some shiny glints.  This will work with most products including crushed real coal.

• RMweb Premium

I would certainly go for real coal.  the other thing you need to think about is the size of the pieces for which you'll need a sieve.  Most coal loads were of a particualr grade.  Large coal tended to be for specific customers such as the railways or for coking into foundry coke.  Industrial customers such as lime works wanted graded small coal (1.25")  that would fit the feed holes in their kilns.  The main thing is consistency for a specific customer. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Paul Martin at EDM Models actually sells real coal that has been blasted through the smoke box of one of the Festiniog Railway narrow gauge locos and got caught by the spark arrestor !!

As mentioned above you generally need consistency of size which this has and nothing looks more like coal than the real thing - I think the Peco product is made from a shiny plastic that looks like shiny plastic!

Details here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Glues/gluestools.html#Potions

I don't have anyone close by that's sells real coal

Farm shops and petrol stations often sell "small bags" (5kg?) for a few quid - I know that's probably more than you'll ever need but it may be worth it particularly if purchasing a tiny bag involves a trip to a model show or shop that's some distance away.

Do none of your neighbours have a coal fire that you can ask for a lump?

Of course if you are breaking up your own remember to put it in a plastic bag before setting to it with the hammer, otherwise you will get bits everywhere.

I vaguely recall having a small bag of "modelling coal" somewhere that I picked up ages ago - if I can find it I'll gladly post you some as I'm not likely to need it now.

Hi Rob

Nothing to beat real coal - but - make sure that you seal its surfaces after gluing in place. The only downside of the real stuff is that eventually it oxidises - great if you want to model ash wagons! Use varnish or dilute PVA.

Regards.

I am still using some Welsh anthracite that I liberated from my parents' coal-fired central-heating boiler in 1976. It still looks  good and I have yet to to find a more realistic substitute. I'm sure it makes my locos run better, but take care when using nutty-slack, you don't want the brown, sticky peanut variety. 

• RMweb Gold

This is getting into a "show and tell" - so here goes, a chap that works for us volunteers on the WSR, so I get him to bring me a lump up whenever I am getting low. It's generally Polish these days but sometimes I get a bit of Welsh :)

I hadn't heard of Paul's little sideline, very inventive ;)

• RMweb Gold

I've noticed that a number of the small scenic traders at exhibitions sell real coal.

Living by the north east coast I get mine by picking it up when I go the beach and then breaking it up to get the right shapes of lumps as beach coal usually has rounded edges from wave action.

Slightly off topic - I was at an exhibition recently where one of the layouts depicted a coal mine, with wagons being filled with coal as they were placed under the screens.

The exhibitor had a lump of real coal with him to explain what it is to younger people.

David

Edited for spelling as usual.

D

Archived