Chewton Mendip

Karhedron

A bit more progress. I have now fitted all the point motors and plasticard sleaves and tested them so I am ready to start track laying. I have had a brief dry run (minus the goods yard) with a Farish Pannier trundling about fairly happily. I did discover one short circuit that I failed to spot in the design phase. Still, that is the purpose of a dry run. I can easily fit an insulating rail joiner to the offending point before I lay it for real.

I have also plonked down most of my scenic work to date to try see how the layout will look as a whole. I think I have a lot of work to do. :unsure:

post-887-0-92265000-1302991371_thumb.jpg

post-887-0-98062000-1302991404_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Another hiatus caused by wiring problems. For the life of me I could not get the single slip wired up properly. :unsure:

I have now tracked the problem down to the Peco PL13 accessory switches not working reliably. I swapped them for a pair of PL15s and had everything working reliably in about 10 minutes. Now at least I can finish fixing the track down and start painting and ballasting it.

Lesson for the future. Avoid PL13s. <_<

• 4 weeks later...

A bit more progress, I have now painted the track. This was done very simply by blowing it over with Railmatch Sleeper Grime. It is a decent colour and the main thing is it eliminates the black plastic look of the sleepers and hides the overscale height of the rails. I wiped the rail heads with a bit of scrap wood after application and again when it was dry. They will probably need a final polish to ensure good conductivity but the improvement in appearance is marked.

post-887-0-22055300-1311950101_thumb.jpg

post-887-0-86070500-1311950126_thumb.jpg

I also popped slivers of masking tape between the points so that they can still conduct current.

post-887-0-15042400-1311950141_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Once again it has been far too long since my last update. I am now working to try and get the lineside structures complete. Once these are planted I should be able to start ballasting. Currently on the workbench is the loco servicing point from Ratio. Most branchline termini had facilites to coal and water locos, particularly if there was an engine shed there. The Ratio one is a bit grand for such a station but is a lovely kit with lots of detail. Like the rest this has been painted in WR chocoloate and cream. There are still some details to add but it comes together quite nicely. Once it is finished I plan to cover the piles of coal with a sprinkling of the real stuff.

post-887-0-23408100-1319228709.jpg

I have also finished the main platform. Again this is made from Ratio parts. I have yet to find a truly perfect way of modelling platforms. Card is prone to warping if it gets wet, wood needs covering with something to texture it. Plastic kits tend to be expensive and are hard to shape.

This is particularly true of the ratio one. In many ways it is very good but it is hard to shape into anything other than dead-straight. A fair amount of sawing and filing was required to get even this modest taper at the end. Whilst I am pleased with the finished result, I am not sure I would use it on a larger project due to cost and effort.

post-887-0-04563400-1319229128_thumb.jpg

Good to see progress, noting from another thread the constraints on your modelling time. Coal stage looks nicely done and as you say a good dose of weathering will help. As for being grand, it makes a change from the typical conical tower - maybe the independant company for your branch had grand ambitions: from what I've read I think many did, it was just whether the money ran out before or sometime after they were completed.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more work to show. I have just finished the cattle dock. This is an addition to the original plan but seemed logical for a layout set in the heart of dairy country. Once again it a Ratio offering and went together very nicely. The fine fencework looked a little daunting at first but actually went together suprisingly well and the result is robust enough to withstand gentle handling so I am not worried about fitting it to the layout after construction. I have not fitted the ramp to the rear of the dock as I plan to have the landscape rising gently at this point. The rear of the dock will be level with the road behind it. This is almost finished, the only missing details are the lamps.

I am glad I opted for this kit rather than one of the resin RTP versions. The fencing really does need something fine like etched brass to do it justice.

post-887-0-13577600-1320614223_thumb.jpg

post-887-0-78032500-1320614243_thumb.jpg

Cattle dock looks really good! Just needs a wash over the stone with ink or weathering powders to simulate the ingrained muck. Missy did a nice post on her cattle dock that might also have some tips. Fence posts and gates have nice layer of dirt on them already, I am watching with interest as I need to do cattle pens shortly.

• RMweb Premium

Mind the gap, darn, the cows these days just don't listen.

From memory the cattle dock sits a long way from the track when using the parts provided. I think that I removed a little from mine (some years ago now) to loose some of the gap.

Just needs a wash over the stone with ink or weathering powders to simulate the ingrained muck.

Believe it or not, it has had a fairly thick dirt wash applied already. The flash seems to have made the model look brighter and shinier than it actually is. You are right though, anywhere that livestock stands around does not tend to stay clean for long. ;)

• 1 month later...

I managed to get some more modelling done of the Christmas break and I now have the basic landscape in place. This was made of girders of foamboard to create a skeleton which was then overlayed with a lattice of card strips. The whole lot was then given a skin of torn scraps of newspaper pasted down with dilute PVA. The result is very lightweight and seems reasonably strong. I have given a basecoat of earth which is a mix of cheap white and burnt umber acrylic from The Works.

My wife to one look and said it looked like indistrial Krakow. :(

DSCF4303.jpg

DSCF4302.jpg

DSCF4304.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have started sticking down some of the features like signals in preparation for ballasting. One thing that was concerning me was fragile items like signal posts getting knocked over an broken. This is particular a problem since the layout is portable and needs to be put away after use, increasing the risk of knocks. My lovely wife saw my pondering and in a flash of genius suggested mounting them on magnets!

This is perfect as it means I can remove anything fragile from the layout (probably even some of the buildings) before it is put away. But because they will still have fixed positions I can bed them into the scenery so they do not look "perched" on top. I used 0.5mm circular magnets from eBay which will be hidden by the ballast one it is down. One of each pair was fixed to the board using impact adhesive and the other to the base of the signal using superglue.

The results are great and I am now busy magnetizing the bases of my buildings to follow.

DSCF4325.jpg

DSCF4327.jpg

DSCF4326.jpg

DSCF4328.jpg

What a cunning plan. Will the signals be moving? Apart from on and off the boards obviously...

No, they are static. I was tempted by Dapol's new working signals and I probably will use them in future. But I decided that robustness was my primary concern and opted for the white metal kits from PD Marsh. They look fairly good with a lick of paint although they are rather on the chunky side.

Yours look excellent, how hard were they to make?

They are pretty straight-forward. The parts are white-metal and fit together well with just a bit of filing to clean up the mold lines. The only part that required a bit of concentration was making sure the parts were all facing the right way and not out by 90-degrees to each other. The ground discs are one piece castsings to really couldn't be much easier. ;)

Archived