Chewton Mendip

Karhedron

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried using Pledge Multi Surface wax (new version of Klear) as ballast adhesive and I have to say that I am impressed with how easy it is. The ballast was Woodland scenics fine and was given a misting with water first. Then I poured some pledge into a bottle with an eye dropper and added a drop of Tamiya matting agent to help kill the shine and applied it to the ballast with an eye dropper. It sank in quickly and easily without disturbing the ballast. No sign of the old gremlins of cratering or surface tension. In fact it even got drawn through by capillary action.

12 hours later and it has set nicely. I hoovered up the few loose grains and stood the layout up on its side. Nothing fell off! :locomotive:I will not be using PVA again for ballasting and I would heartily recommend Pledge to anyone who wants to make sometimes tedious job of ballasting go much quicker.

The only downside is that I am not entirely happy with the colour. The ballast on the B&NSR was local limestone which was a light grey colour so I chose WS light grey ballast. Unfortunately I think it is much too light, it looks cream. Seeing it on the layout I definitely feel I should have gone for mid-grey.

This puts me in a dilemma. Do I scrape off the stuff I have applied so far (only a few sidings, fortunately) and replace it? Do I use mid-grey elsewhere and try to blend the shades in when weathering? Or do I stick with the light grey and try to tone down the whole lot with weathering once it is in place?

DSCF4332.jpg

...The only downside is that I am not entirely happy with the colour. The ballast on the B&NSR was local limestone which was a light grey colour so I chose WS light grey ballast. Unfortunately I think it is much too light, it looks cream. Seeing it on the layout I definitely feel I should have gone for mid-grey...

Are you sure about that? There are plenty of examples of very pale ballast in the Mike Vincent book and the local limestones (there are several types) do vary from a pale cream to a mid-grey. I actually have some samples, though not from ballast, sitting here (shades of the soil from his homeland in the bottom of Dracula's coffin). Personally, I'm using a mix of pale cream and light grey plus some weathering to represent a variety of older and newer ballast on my Camerton layout. You might also want to take a look at what Tim Venton used on Clutton. IIRC he also included some very pale ballast.

After all, if you can move Chewton Mendip down the hill towards Chew Stoke, you can afford to be inventive with your ballast.

Nick

I am glad to see the Pledge works as well as the old Jonsons Klear as I just bought a big bottle of it for my own layout. It is a shame it does not have instructions on the back about how to apply it to ballast...

If you do decide to keep it and tone it down then it wont look too out of place being a different shade. Plenty of sidings are ballasted with a different batch of ballast than the main running lines.

I am glad to see the Pledge works as well as the old Jonsons Klear as I just bought a big bottle of it for my own layout. It is a shame it does not have instructions on the back about how to apply it to ballast...

It works so well you don't even need instructions. ;) Normally with water/pva mix you need to add IPA or at least detergent to reduce the surface tension. Pledge/Klear work so well because they have a much lower surface tension than water anyway. They would not make good varnishes if they beaded when applied to a surface.

If you do decide to keep it and tone it down then it wont look too out of place being a different shade. Plenty of sidings are ballasted with a different batch of ballast than the main running lines.

I think you are probably right. I will tone it down with some washes and blend it in.

Hi l have used the old way of (PVA-water-and a drop of washing-up liquid) for years, and it is always messy and boring but its the way to do it as l thought ? with the colour l always airbrush a nice uniform grime over the whole lot, so it wont matter what colour different ballast dries to, But reading about your venture with Pledge multi surface wax, has given me something new to try, thanks for the tip, l will let you know how it turns out. cracking layout your building there, watching with interest, well done............

It works so well you don't even need instructions. ;) Normally with water/pva mix you need to add IPA or at least detergent to reduce the surface tension. Pledge/Klear work so well because they have a much lower surface tension than water anyway. They would not make good varnishes if they beaded when applied to a surface.

I have just been giving it a go on the test plank! It does work incredibly well. I was surprised at how little tension there was. I think I need to use the technique you described where you mist the ballast first because I had some of the fiddlier bits move out of place (it also doesn't help that I am ballasting over Kato Unitrack!).

I am following this layout thread with interest as my brother lives in the Chew Valley. Keep up the good work!

Hi Tim, thanks for the pic, that is a real beauty and not one I have seen before. The only colour pics I have of the line are after it closed to passenger services so that is definitely one of the album. You are right, the ballast does look a very pale cream in that picture and a pretty close match for what I have put down. Maybe I should have the courage of my convictions and stick with it. ;)

P.S. I am impressed with how neat the permanent way is. I will have a go at replicating that with the textured paint between the ballast and the grass embankments.

interesting on the pledge. Does it do the other things Klear does e.g. fix glazing, varnish stuff etc?

I have not tried it yet. I have some original Klear that I have been saving for these jobs. But others have reported that it works just as well as original Klear.

• 1 month later...

A bit more progress to show today. I have some more ground cover down including the ash ballast around the engine shed and some woodland scenics burnt grass on the embankment behind. The grass is a good colour match for the faded greenery of the backscene which is quite nice. There is a still a lot to do bit it is starting to look like a layout rather than just a lot of bits glued together.

DSCF4351.jpg

DSCF4350.JPG.588cfc44e7f8dffc5ce3c2a372b465b9.JPG

• 7 months later...

Finally got round to doing some more work on Chew Magna. The ballast has been dirtied with a wash of thinned acrylic brown and black which looks a lot better now. I have also added some more flock to brig the ground to life. The base was a layer of WS fine burnt turf, I have now added a sprinkling of coarse light green over the top to represent longer, lusher growth. Next step will be to add some larger clumps to represent brambles and the like.

More importantly from an operational point of view, I have now started work on the fiddle yard. I picked up some cheap code 80 points so I decided to use them here to make a fan of 6 sidings. Some of the sidings will have an isolating section at one end to I can store 2 short trains like a railcar or autotrain on one siding.

DSCF4875.jpg

DSCF4876.jpg

DSCF4877.jpg

DSCF4878.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

No progress to report on Chew Magna as a new baby, new job and new extension to the house (to accommodate the former) have seriously eaten into my modelling time. However I did have a chance to run a few of my creations and take pictures at the same time so here is D600 Active arriving to collect the milk.

post-887-0-52448600-1499935549_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have not made much progress on the layout over the last few years as 3 kids take up most of my time. Also, the room where I plan to keep the layout is currently full of DIY materials meaning that space is at as much of a premium as time. I have mainly been restricted to building kits as this can be done in a much smaller space. One day I shall get around to finishing the scenic detailing.

The good news is that the Klear seems to have lasted well. There were a few loose grains when the layout had to be stored on its side for a while but only a few. Overall I am pleased with its longevity and I would not hesitate to use it again.

• RMweb Gold

I have not made much progress on the layout over the last few years as 3 kids take up most of my time. Also, the room where I plan to keep the layout is currently full of DIY materials meaning that space is at as much of a premium as time. I have mainly been restricted to building kits as this can be done in a much smaller space. One day I shall get around to finishing the scenic detailing.

The good news is that the Klear seems to have lasted well. There were a few loose grains when the layout had to be stored on its side for a while but only a few. Overall I am pleased with its longevity and I would not hesitate to use it again.

Many thanks, matey. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately not. 3 Kids do not leave a lot of spare time. The oldest 2 are into Warhammer so most of my modelling time at the moment is spent assembling space marines and the like. ;)

med_gallery_82363_13858_684645.jpg

No complaints though. They will only be young once.

Archived