NGS Journal

grahame

My copy arrived this morning and I've already read it. I noticed a couple of grammar/ spelling issues. Perhaps a request for proof-readers to help lighten the load would be useful? I'd be happy to help out in this regard.

If you've read it all, you'd have noticed such a job vacancy advertised in the Newsletter. I look forward to hearing from you about your interest.

Cheers,

G.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope NGS members enjoyed the last Journal (6/15).

The next issue, 1/16 - the first for next year, is now at a well advanced stage and should be sent out to be with (at least UK) members before the end of January. It will include a separate supplier listing leaflet, and it is also hoped that the Newsletter, that is sent out with the Journal, will include a listing of the items available from the NGS mail order shop (although they are online - http://www.ngsjoin.com/- apparently many members do not have computers or internet access and have requested a paper copy).

Articles for inclusion in future issues of the Journal are welcome and encouraged. So if you have a current N gauge modelling project or layout that could be featured then please make the effort. There is a large insatiable audience who would no doubt enjoy seeing your efforts. And as many NGS members do not have an internet connection it doesn't matter if it has already been featured on internet forums.

Cheers.

G.

Articles for inclusion in future issues of the Journal are welcome and encouraged. So if you have a current N gauge modelling project or layout that could be featured then please make the effort. There is a large insatiable audience who would no doubt enjoy seeing your efforts. 

I would just like to second Grahame's request.  The Journal is a brilliant publication, but it's down the the membership to have a go at producing articles for it in the first instance. 

If anyone is worried about writing an article, give it a go! 

• 3 weeks later...

The copy deadline for Journal 1/16 has now passed and the content has all been finalised and scheduled. The Newsletter content has been received, compiled and sent off, and I'm working on the design, layout and finishing touches for the Journal. There will also be a supplier listing compendium leaflet/booklet with 1/16. All three are scheduled for sending out during week commencing 25th January so should be with UK members by the of Jan - just time for those who are not members, but would like a copy, to join (see the NGS website).

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the latest for Journal 1/16. Currently it's at the printers and is scheduled for send out week commencing 25th January so that it should be with UK members before the end of the month. The package will contain the usual full colour 88 page 'Journal' plus the separate 'Newsletter' (for time sensitive news) and a special 'leaflet' listing N gauge suppliers.

Contents for the Journal are:

• What’s new in ‘N’- 13 pages of news and reviews
  • Modelling Tip - Some suggestions for improving back-scenes
  • Changing Nameplates - Rowland Lewis undertakes the switch
  • Dunkow Road - A layout photo feature
  • AMMC 2014/15 - Michael Shillabeer’s third report
  • Gatwick Express - The prototype and modelling options
  • Members Models - Mike Adler’s semaphore signals
  • I think I can - A first attempt at control wiring
  • BR Blue LMS BG - Richard Bardsley repaints two BGs
  • Centre Pages Spread - A double page photograph
  • Mermaids - A quick look at these unique wagons
  • An Easy EPB - John Davy shows us how he built one
  • Modelling the Trib Train - Neale Monks explains how using ERG vinyls
  • Fencehouses - A layout photo feature
  • Building a crane jib kit - ‘How to build’ an unusual cardboard kit
  • Seabrough on the Somervale - Mark Holt’s heritage line
  • Improving the UM Dean Goods - Noel Leaver upgrades the new model
  • London Bridge Footbridge (part 1) - A styrene scratch-building project
  • Off-Scene Storage - Peter Norton considers an option
  • Modelling Mail Train - Members letters
  • Back cover - Tornado

I hope member enjoy this issue.

G.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think Grahame Hedges has done a great job with the N Gauge Journal, particularly considering that he's working from the purse of a relatively small subscription organisation.

I just want to see this model of London Bridge Station he's been hinting at for some years now  (anything to share Grahame?)  :)

Edited by Southernboy

I just want to see this model of London Bridge Station he's been hinting at for some years now  (anything to share Grahame?)  :)

Nothing more at the moment. Some structures were featured in the Journal but I'm currently planning on moving first. But no doubt developments will unfold in the Journal.

G.

I hope members enjoyed Journal 1/16 and the minor design tidy-up. I have had some feedback about further suggested/potential changes to the Journal (as mentioned in the editorial) but would welcome more.

Issue 2/16 is well advanced but, as usual, more and high quality submissions are welcome. There's plenty of future issues to fill.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

There's been some good response to my appeal for articles and features in the 1/16 editorial - so many thanks to those that have made the effort. But obviously more is always required and very welcome.

As already reported, issue 2/16 is well advanced and taking shape with articles all now scheduled. It's the last call for news items, reviews and advert copy with the deadline just five days away. Then it will be finalising layout and design, producing print ready artwork and off to the printers for publication, packing and posting out in the last week of March.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally finished (2/16) and has been quite a trial with chasing late advertisers copy and the no show of reviews I was hoping to include with the scratching around to fill the reserved spaces. But it's now just a matter of waiting proof-readers comments (although I can't wait much longer) before generating the print ready files from the DTP design to send off to the printers.

G.

Issue 2/16 is now at the printers and is scheduled for send out in the last full week of March. This issue is 92 pages to squeeze everything in and includes the following;

What’s new in ‘N’ - 13 pages of news and reviews

AMMC 2014/15 - Michael Shillabeer’s latest report

Modelling Tip - Dealing with derailments

Installing a Kato Turntable - Ged Lee shows how he did it

London Bridge Footbridge (part 2)- The latest instalment of this project

Chester Midland Shed (part 3)- Barry Bryant continues the story of his layout

Member Models - Peter Brown’s first N gauge layout

Haardwijk - NS (part 1) - Giles Mockford introduces his new layout

Painting Figures - One way to paint N gauge figures quickly

Kestrel Bashing - Richard Bardsley demonstrates kit bashing

Centre Pages Spread - A double page layout photograph

Setting the Standard - What’s available in standard steam locos

A Swedish View of Modelling (part 1) - The Lowlands - a British connection

Members Models - Stuart Moore shows off his blue diesels

Wagons - A look at two more wagon types

Detailing the Scene - Jerry O’Reilly explains how he did it

Members Models - Alan Browning displays scratch-built stock

Newlingham - Neil Walker tells of his first layout

Modelling Tips - Some ideas and suggestions for road vehicles

SARMA’s N Scale Layouts (part 1) - Matt LeVista takes a look

Members Project - Bob Lambert produces low relief buildings

A Dummy Class 20 - Roy Cheers shows us how to make one

Modelling Mail Train - Members letters

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Issue 2/16 is out and at least in the post - I've received my test copies.

I guess it's a little later than expected because of the recent Easter bank holidays.

G.

I guess all UK members will have received their copy by now (and overseas members copies are possibly still en route). I hope that they all enjoy(ed) it.

The next issue (3/16) is well underway with the article/feature content all in place. It's just the more date sensitive news and review content that is yet to be arranged. So if anyone has any relevant news or information (about N Gauge products, manufacturers and market developments) please let me know (rather than post it here, an email would probably be more appropriate).

G.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue 3/16 is now complete and at the printers, ready for printing, packing and posting. It is scheduled for send out in the last full week of May so hopefully it will be with (UK based) members before the end of this month (overseas a little longer). As usual it will be accompanied with a (16 page) Newsletter containing Society news, reports and updates. Here is a list of the Journal contents:

What’s new in ‘N’- 13 pages of product news and reviews

Members Models - N gauge track and stock in a larger scale setting

AMMC 2014/15 - Michael Shillabeer’s final report

Let There Be Light (part 1)- Brian Rockey explains adding scenic lighting

Haardwijk - NS (part 2) - Giles Mockford describes the DCC choices

Modelling the Legendary Boosters - A look at options and the new Radley resin kit

Hamford - A layout by Derek Tweed

Members Models - Chris White builds an impressive viaduct

Modelling a Milk Float Fleet - Batch built by Peter Morris

Centre Pages Spread - A double page photograph

Chester Midland Shed (part 4) - Barry Bryant installs the wiring and electrics

Members Projects - Assembling an etched trailer kit

Dapol BY to PMV - Converting and re-painting the Dapol van

A Swedish View of Modelling (part 2) - Olle Frykmo describes his layout

Building a Heavy Haul Trailer - Adam Williams shows us how he did it

Uncoupling - A Bench Test - Using the Dapol Easi-shunt couplers

A Cattle Lorry- Grafting white-metal parts on to a RTR chassis

Modelling Tips - Peter Siddall’s DIY track cleaner

Improve Running through Peco Slips - Noel Leaver shows how to

Members Models - A look a two projects

Brickmakers Lane - David Cooper starts building his new layout

Modelling Mail Train - Members letters

124409.png

G.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Journal issue 3/16 is now printed and should be in the post ( I've received my production run sample). So expect to receive your copy over the next few days.

I hope you enjoy it.

G.

• Like 1

Journal issue 3/16 is now printed and should be in the post ( I've received my production run sample). So expect to receive your copy over the next few days.

And my subscription copy dropped through the letterbox this morning. No doubt other members will have also received their copy.

If there is any feedback please either let me know directly or post here on this thread.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know whether to post this here, or in the "Things that make you" thread.

On page 3, to the left of the Contents, there is a sentence that goes: "The society does not accept liability for omissions, clerical or printers's errors ...". So who does accept liability for that one?