RMweb

New train sets and Gift Packs

Paul.Uni

That Highlander pack looks very good value, What are the EZ consoles like ?

They're okay - not massively exciting, but okay. They have a very restricted decoder number range (1-9) but for some peeps that's probably sufficient. If you have one of the Bachmann trainset DC controllers, you can plug that into it to control loco 10 (actually 0... the single non-DCC equipped DC loco) independently but obviously not 100% recommended you do that as it's better to stuff a chip in it). The companion controller (and I think you can have two plugged in) works almost exactly like the main controller. More aimed at someone who wants to be able to run two or three trains together at once rather than go the whole DCC hog.

A gentle introduction to DCC, but you'll likely replace it with something bigger and better down the line.

They're okay - not massively exciting, but okay. They have a very restricted decoder number range (1-9) but for some peeps that's probably sufficient. If you have one of the Bachmann trainset DC controllers, you can plug that into it to control loco 10 (actually 0... the single non-DCC equipped DC loco) independently but obviously not 100% recommended you do that as it's better to stuff a chip in it). The companion controller (and I think you can have two plugged in) works almost exactly like the main controller. More aimed at someone who wants to be able to run two or three trains together at once rather than go the whole DCC hog.

A gentle introduction to DCC, but you'll likely replace it with something bigger and better down the line.

Thanks, I have the Dynamis, but thought this might be a good 2nd set for a separate depot diorama.  I did like the idea of it being able to operate DC stuff too.

Looks good value as 37418 fits the bill perfect too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My attention was drawn to 30-170:  http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/30-170.jpg&cat_no=30-170&info=204&width=600&height=410  Thames Clyde Express.  I usually don't pay attention to train sets but the coaches look to have the Midland lining.  The coaches themselves, unless Bachmann spring a huge surprise, are most likely the old Period 1 LMS coaches.  These are generally very good coaches having, as near as I can tell, accurate bodies.  From Essery & Jenkinson, I believe the two types are BTK - D1696 and CK - D1694.  There's only a picture of the compartment side of the BTK in the book but I can't find any errors.

The problem with these has always been the fictional livery of a single yellow line just below the windows and a twin yellow line above the windows.  So, Midland style lining for these would be just right and that is how the BTK is pictured.  I don't know if the livery was changed later (some coaches were converted to ambulance use), but if the lining is accurate these would be great.  The underframe is a bit basic, but that can be sorted with Comet parts if one is so inclined (and I am).

Trouble is, I have no use for the loco (being, so I'm told, in its' "as preserved" condition) so I'm hoping these coaches will be issued separately.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

My attention was drawn to 30-170: http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/30-170.jpg&cat_no=30-170&info=204&width=600&height=410 Thames Clyde Express. I usually don't pay attention to train sets but the coaches look to have the Midland lining. The coaches themselves, unless Bachmann spring a huge surprise, are most likely the old Period 1 LMS coaches. These are generally very good coaches having, as near as I can tell, accurate bodies. From Essery & Jenkinson, I believe the two types are BTK - D1696 and CK - D1694. There's only a picture of the compartment side of the BTK in the book but I can't find any errors.

The problem with these has always been the fictional livery of a single yellow line just below the windows and a twin yellow line above the windows. So, Midland style lining for these would be just right and that is how the BTK is pictured. I don't know if the livery was changed later (some coaches were converted to ambulance use), but if the lining is accurate these would be great. The underframe is a bit basic, but that can be sorted with Comet parts if one is so inclined (and I am).

Trouble is, I have no use for the loco (being, so I'm told, in its' "as preserved" condition) so I'm hoping these coaches will be issued separately.

John

If you examine the illustrations on the Bachmann site the coaches deffinately say LMS on the side. However this is not wrong as I believe the initial LMS livery applied after grouping was indeed basically that of the Midland with the lettering changed. Also I believe that said livery was still official policy at the time the period 1 coaches Bachmann produce were introduced and it wasn't untill the Stanier era when the fancy paneling was ditched.

The real oddity in a sense therefore is the inclusion of number 1000 in Midland livery. Whilst a 'Midland Compound' may well be an authentic loco, to fit in it should be in early LMS livery (which is admitdly very similar and basically means sealing the MR logo on the cab for a LMS roundall.

Personally I can live without the loco, but if any retailer were to split the sets then I would deffinately be interested in purchasing just the coaches.

I do agree Phil.  I'm pretty sure the Midland style, with LMS branding, lasted a fair while and the coaches were only withdrawn in the BR era.  I'm not at all certain the lining would still be in that style by 1936 (the period I have chosen).  Who knows, maybe Bachmann got it right with their simplified lining.  Hoping someone can provide some indication of the lining in the mid 30s.  1000 is anachronistic for the period that the train set is supposed to represent.  I do like the compound but I'm holding out for a red one.

John

• RMweb Premium

I always assumed that the presence of MR No. 1000 in the Thames Clyde Express set indicated that the NRM MR compound hadn't sold as well as hoped, and there were a lot of surplus models to sell.

Its a possibility and one that has been raised before - however even if true I hardly expect Bachmann to admit it. You also have to consider the other oddball set featuring 'City of Birmingham' in Khaki which definitely isn't a 'slow seller' as its being produced specially for the set.. As someone else has already pointed out a 43xx (even though its still a old split chassis design) would be a much better 'fit' with the proposed model.

Edited by phil-b259

Doing some further reading on Period I coaches, I have found that the Midland style lining must have perpetuated until at least 1934.  Period II coaches, despite not being panelled, were given the Midland style lining and even for the first couple of years of Period III coach production, they had the same lining.  After 1934, the LMS simplified lining came about.  It is reasonable to think that any Period I or II coaches having a full repaint would be outshopped in the simplified lining (NOT the Bachmann lining).  However, I haven't found a picture of a Period I (or II) in simplified lining.  I suspect the reason is that there was too little time between 1934 and 1939 to see appreciable numbers of coaches repainted.  Between 1939 and 1945, I imagine that only essential repairs were done and that touch up painting would be the norm.  Of course, considerable numbers of Period I coaches were modified for ambulance use during the war, and afterwards, were converted to full brakes (as related in Essery & Jenkinson).

John

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just something that could cause confusion - in the Bachmann catalogue the entry for this train set shows the coaches lined out in the standard 'simplified (or wrong ;-) ) livery in contrast to what is shown on the website. For those primarily interested in the coaches the question is which entry do we believe?

• RMweb Premium

Given the price of the set I would think it's the simplified version that will be in set. It is difficult to tell but I think the catalogue illustration of the set shows the simplified version in the set and also the main range coaches look to be simply repeats of those previously available

The coaches pictured in the link in post #111 above, certainly show the Midland style lining.  Not only the description below the picture is quite specific.  I've seen pictures of the forthcoming releases in "simplified" lining, but I'm hoping those are pics of old coaches.  Newly tooled models would be nice, but I somehow doubt that.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Doing some further reading on Period I coaches, I have found that the Midland style lining must have perpetuated until at least 1934.  Period II coaches, despite not being panelled, were given the Midland style lining and even for the first couple of years of Period III coach production, they had the same lining.  After 1934, the LMS simplified lining came about.  It is reasonable to think that any Period I or II coaches having a full repaint would be outshopped in the simplified lining (NOT the Bachmann lining).  However, I haven't found a picture of a Period I (or II) in simplified lining.  I suspect the reason is that there was too little time between 1934 and 1939 to see appreciable numbers of coaches repainted.  Between 1939 and 1945, I imagine that only essential repairs were done and that touch up painting would be the norm.  Of course, considerable numbers of Period I coaches were modified for ambulance use during the war, and afterwards, were converted to full brakes (as related in Essery & Jenkinson).

John

Thanks for putting this information up John!! I have been pondering over whether I should get these carriages or not since I saw the announcement. Once the set does come out, I will see if I can get them split up from the rest of the set. Should be easy as I have had some good luck so far with the Western Wanderer set. Got the Pannier, Shunter Truck and Toad for £75. Shame the same could not be said for the Midland Marvel set though. I was looking for the LMS Brake Van and an ebayer offered me one for £24. I politely declined it and 24 hours later, I went to Olivia's Trains and picked one up for for £15 inc P&P.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51c393eaa2

On an offnote, the individual who offered me the brakevan has also got the two opens that come in the set on ebay for £28.50 each!! The LMS 3F is offered for £85.50. Ridiculous pricing for a set whose retail price is £124.95 and even then the individual is offering the train set for £128.00!! On his website the set is being offered for £110.00!!

• RMweb Premium

Mmm interested in the Thames Clyde mainly for the loco. At the time of announcement the price for the set was about £9 more than buying the loco individually from Locomotion, so I held off. Will wait to see what discounted price at retailers is , after postage.