Coachmann's Loco Thread - edited

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, good to see you doing a bit of bashing a loco for a change, I think your last tutorial was the conversion of the Bachy MR compound to a standard LMS one? Then Bachy brought out the LMS version! You wait and see, you'll get your LHD 4F done and Bachy will bring out their version.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, it's good to see you're going to have a Rowsley engine on your layout, it makes me feel quite at home. I have three 4fs, two old Airfix/Dapol ones which I have converted to loco driven ones and a Bachy one, which is due a Peak line makeover.

The 4F with the Johnson/Deeley tender has the brake gear tender chassis, it's good to see that the J11 and the fowler tender have them in line with the wheels. With the Fowler tender, Bachmann must have changed the tooling as on my Compound and Patriot, the brake gear is not in line with the wheels, so top marks for Bachmann with that

Boy, they do jump around on those Bachmann tenders!

All my Deeley/Johnson tenders, moulded on side frames

Patriot & Compound, moulded on side frames.

Jubilee, in line with wheels

Crab, in line with wheels.

This has actually surprised me, two different fowler tender chassis toolings?

And lovely work on the 4f's and J11, as usual Larry. I have just been reqding through your other great thread with the Compounds and B1 etc, lovely stuff

...Didn't need touching Nick, as the brakes are in line on the J11 and 4F tenders...

All very strange. I obviously went for the wrong tenders as both my 3F and 4F with Johnson tenders have the brakes in line with the frames. At least the 7F has them in the right place.

Nick

You're right. This prompted me to look at my Bachmann Fowler locos :-

LMS Compound, brakes in line with wheels.

Patriot, Brakes moulded in side-frames.

LMS 2P (Hornby) ..Tender bought from Bachmann... Brakes in line with wheels.

LMS Patriot, brakes moulded in side-frames

Fowler 7F 0-8-0, Tender bought from Bachmann... Brakes in line with wheels.

Bachmann Crab, brakes in line with wheels.

Until you want to convert them to EM or P4! :no:

Regards

I think you will find that EM wheels (uppermost set) are still in line with the brake shoes. Tenders with shoes moulded as part of the side frames are a different kettle of fish of course, though I would expect anyone working in EM or P4 would remedy the latter situation no bother.

P4 & EM are about 22 mm over the outer wheel faces, in OO it's 19mm.

Interesting to see your progress with this one Larry.

I've stockpiled an old Crownline conversion kit that includes these bespoke DoG deflectors ready to use when the time comes.

post-10140-0-41423900-1391731863_thumb.jpg

I used some Regency III (old Jackson Evans) Brit deflectors carefully trimmed for my Golden Arrow Duke, but I'm hopeful I can make a better fist of it second time around.

There are also some nice BR1J etched sides:

post-10140-0-42279000-1391732056_thumb.jpg

Look forward to seeing how you get on.

Iain

I think you will find that EM wheels (uppermost set) are still in line with the brake shoes.

There's not a lot of room for the wheelset to slide even in EM. I think you might be surprised just how mods are needed to change a simple thing like this, although a tender might be easier than the loco. I've just finished converting two Bachmann Cl108 dmus to P4 - no compensation, not needed. But the brakegear stopped the wheels from turning and there isn't enough room on the Bachmann bogies to move the brakes. The units are running without!

I like the model, very nice. Have you ever thought of using EM wheelsets set to an OO back to back? They would look a lot nicer and they would still stay on your track.

Regards

I wonder if you could shave a bit off the brake shoes if they touch the wheel rims? ...

There's not a lot you can do when the brakes are interfering with the flanges! Best to leave it for now, the units are ready to go for Watford Finescale, after that I'm going to look again at the bogies; the Black Beetles arrived yesterday for a future rebuild. I'm not happy with the Bachmann power train or the extraordinarily complex pick-up arrangements.

Regards

For buffers S A C Martin mentioned ;

>> I have used thus far X9599 (coupling rods), and will be using X6592 (rear pony truck wheels), X9313R (class 31 buffers), X9609 (Brit detail pack) and am debating using X9602 (tender frames). <<

but I'm not sure if these are the oval front versions, nor his supplier.

I'm very impressed by your work with scalpel, drill and wire. 

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I do like those smokebox door handles Coach - I got some similar ones many years ago but they seem to be impossible to find nowadays and the modern ones all look as if they've been on a forced diet although they might well be more to scale.  This is one of those areas where I suspect impression counts over exact scale fidelity.

For buffers S A C Martin mentioned ;

>> I have used thus far X9599 (coupling rods), and will be using X6592 (rear pony truck wheels), X9313R (class 31 buffers), X9609 (Brit detail pack) and am debating using X9602 (tender frames). <<

but I'm not sure if these are the oval front versions, nor his supplier.

I'm very impressed by your work with scalpel, drill and wire. 

Rob

They are the oval front version, my supplier was Peter's Spares.

It is only through doing this minor upgrading job on the 'Duke' that it comes home just how things have changed in the hobby.

Funny you should say that coach. I was reading your post last night and thinking that very thing. What you're doing reminded me of hacking about Hornby Brits, Patriots etc., from the '80s to put right some pretty gross errors. At least with the Duke it seems to be a pretty good starting point. I'm enjoying the thread, great stuff.

Funny you should say that coach. I was reading your post last night and thinking that very thing. What you're doing reminded me of hacking about Hornby Brits, Patriots etc., from the '80s to put right some pretty gross errors. At least with the Duke it seems to be a pretty good starting point. I'm enjoying the thread, great stuff.

Bodywise, it's definitely the best starting point one could hope for. It's excellent shape wise, with agreeably few errors (though if the smkoebox overhang is counted as an "error" it's not a fixable one and for me at any rate, not a deal breaker).

The chassis is the concern for me though I must put up my hands and say that everyone else's experience of their Duke models running is very different to mine. I may have "as built" Duke as opposed the excellent performer from preservation I suspect…!

Larry, thank you for sharing your work with us. Those bogie wheels really are a significant improvement, I will have to look out for a set. Are they a straight fit into the bogie frames?

That tender is brilliant!  Beautiful.

When are you going to scratch-build MN 35002  sorry 21C2 which would be nice in wartime black or Malachite...?   

As a challenge I might photo-edit a version in wartime black and announce it somewhere....

Rob

Archived