Washout at Dawlish

At 8:45 on the video and I'm thinking this is "Shadow" , the offspring of the Big Red Spidery Thing.

It's beginning to sound like a Hitchcock horror. Son of the Big Red Spidery Thing.

Many spin offs here.

Revenge of The Orange Army,

Captain Kernow and The Orange Clad Boys (borrowed from an Elton John album)

I can confirm that they will be cut up on site and the material in them disposed of.

Business venture here. Selling all the rocks/stones from the containers to visiting grockles as souvenirs. Where can I put an offer in for the containers? I am sure that with some well worded adverts 'almost new', 'only used once', "slight wear' I could sell the containers on ebay.

There were certainly a few square miles of very 'red sea' when I was there yesterday!

It would have ended up in the sea sooner or later anycase, without any human intervention I reckon.[/quote

On Monday we had the red sea and one patch close inshore east of the coastal lookout was luminous green where the outfall had been dyed.

Business venture here. Selling all the rocks/stones from the containers to visiting grockles as souvenirs. Where can I put an offer in for the containers? I am sure that with some well worded adverts 'almost new', 'only used once', "slight wear' I could sell the containers on ebay.

Could always sells chunks of the containers themselves to RMWebbers a la Berlin Wall.......... :drag:

I wouldn't mind a 6" square to hang on my basement wall. Would go well next to my vintage steel Indian Motorcycles sign,

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

My neighbour sells cars like that on ebay. "supermarket scrapes, women drivers, age related dinks", they appear on each one he lists.

Stewart

• Like 1

Could always sells chunks of the containers themselves to RMWebbers a la Berlin Wall.......... :drag:

I wouldn't mind a 6" square to hang on my basement wall. Would go well next to my vintage steel Indian Motorcycles sign,

Best, Pete.

I am just starting my sales database Pete.

I also have some original Victorian sand from the washed out wall, last touched by navvies circa 1840's. Bagged up it is available now.

• Like 1

Another concrete pour in what looks like appalling weather.

post-8259-0-06013100-1395419464_thumb.jpg

Obviously not an easy site for a pump and jib so it looks like each pour is brought in from the Dawlish access point.

No wonder the 'Orange Army' is getting a cult following.

post-8259-0-55511400-1395419907.gif post-8259-0-55511400-1395419907.gif post-8259-0-55511400-1395419907.gif post-8259-0-55511400-1395419907.gif

Edited by Highlandman
  • Like 2

They'll have to get Elvis Costello to write a song about them.

Jamie

We will have pipe and drum bands marching into Dawlish.

The Dutch cricket team (who beat Ireland in the Twenty 20 cricket) playing against the Captain Kernow Select Eleven playing for the Big Red Spidery Thing trophy.

• Like 4

There were certainly a few square miles of very 'red sea' when I was there yesterday!

It would have ended up in the sea sooner or later anycase, without any human intervention I reckon.[/quote

On Monday we had the red sea and one patch close inshore east of the coastal lookout was luminous green where the outfall had been dyed.

post-19606-0-79584600-1395423752_thumb.jpg

Chop the seaward side out of the containers and the sea will take care of most of the disposal I reckon.

I had wondered if it was possible to build a new wall in front of the containers, then reinstate the footpath at its correct height over the top,leaving the containers in situ!

I had wondered if it was possible to build a new wall in front of the containers, then reinstate the footpath at its correct height over the top,leaving the containers in situ!

You'd have loads of voids in the containers and rubble that would eventually erode out and destroy the thing you've built.

Isn't the sea wall footpath going to be at the same height as it was? Surely a short stretch of it cannot vary in height. CK's photos show the L-shaped pieces with a pre-patterned facet to the walk way.

Isn't the sea wall footpath going to be at the same height as it was? Surely a short stretch of it cannot vary in height. CK's photos show the L-shaped pieces with a pre-patterned facet to the walk way.

I agree. The reinstatement of the higher walkway is not, IIRC, part of the plan, much as it would add protection. One of CK's posts says this.

A section of walkway by Sea Lawn Terrace was lowered years ago at the request of the then owner of the land so that people wouldn;t be able to look into his house and invade his privacy. This was before the current houses were built. (Again IIRC)

Edited by Coombe Barton

I know CK said they weren't going to - I was only wondering if it was possible... ;-)

He wants to - it's structurally possible, but there's planning regulations ...

But not with the containers in  place - they're not structurally good enough to make a base.

Edited by Coombe Barton

• RMweb Gold

I agree. The reinstatement of the higher walkway is not, IIRC, part of the plan, much as it would add protection. One of CK's posts says this.

A section of walkway by Sea Lawn Terrace was lowered years ago at the request of the then owner of the land so that people wouldn;t be able to look into his house and invade his privacy. This was before the current houses were built. (Again IIRC)

That's right, although I heard from another (non-railway) local source of a reference on a local Facebook page to it going back at the higher level, which is completely against everything that I have heard via official channels.

It was originally one James Powell, owner of the former Sea Lawn House (on the site of Sea Lawn Terrace) that got the South Devon Railway to construct the walkway at the lower level from the outset.