Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

These seem to be rather short track panels, presumably to keep them to a size that suits the handling equipment available.  Will the rails be lifted and replaced by longer ones once the sleepers are down. 

Probably answered my own question I've finally caught the machinery in action.

post-6824-0-74458000-1395587639.jpg

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
jamie92208, on 23 Mar 2014 - 15:11, said:

These seem to be rather short track panels, presumably to keep them to a size that suits the handling equipment available.  Will the rails be lifted and replaced by longer ones once the sleepers are down. 

Probably answered my own question I've finally caught the machinery in action.

attachicon.gifDalish tracklaying 1.jpg

Jamie

Yep, "plant rails" or slave rails. These are all temporarily joined with faseta clamps and fish plates to enable the RR machines to run over them as they get more panels. 

Im fairly sure about that as me and a mate hand balled about 200 of each from pallets onto my truck last week specifically for the job and it was abit of work out for us! :D

I'll be interested to know if the short sections of track are physically joined together once laid, or simply very carefully aligned; I've seen 60' panels being laid as a precursor to threading long-welded rail, but these panels seem to be only two or three metres long.

See post 2025 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81949-washout-at-dawlish/?p=1392900

I'll be interested to know if the short sections of track are physically joined together once laid, or simply very carefully aligned; I've seen 60' panels being laid as a precursor to threading long-welded rail, but these panels seem to be only two or three metres long.

yes and Gary H`s arms can now scratch his ankles stood up without bending over  :O

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
To be finescale or not, on 23 Mar 2014 - 17:40, said:

Where is the glue guys. 

attachicon.gifcamputerb86 2.jpg

They have actually glued the ballast at the Plymouth side of the station!

Its certainly not PVA though :laugh:

I was watching a fella the other week trying to break out some of the remaining glued ballast with a pick axe to attend to some axle counters, the stuff was like concrete and he was really struggling to break it up!

Ive seen the 45 gallon drums of the stuff they use. Not sure what it is exactly, maybe some sort of resin but its pretty impressive!

You would think it would break up as you walked on it but its absolutely solid.

Im not sure of any problem it would cause with maintenance tamping though, maybe a tamper would penetrate it no problem but I don't know.

I reckon this new track could be glued in due course.

• RMweb Gold

I was watching a fella the other week trying to break out some of the remaining glued ballast with a pick axe to attend to some axle counters, the stuff was like concrete and he was really struggling to break it up!

Ive seen the 45 gallon drums of the stuff they use. Not sure what it is exactly, maybe some sort of resin but its pretty impressive!

I believe it's closely related to good old epoxy...

• Like 1

Im not sure of any problem it would cause with maintenance tamping though, maybe a tamper would penetrate it no problem but I don't know.

In those locations where I've seen glued ballast used, there are also signs saying 'Glued Ballast- Do Not Tamp'. It tends to be in places where the loading gauge is very tight, such as the arches at the Dover end of Tonbridge.

• RMweb Gold

In those locations where I've seen glued ballast used, there are also signs saying 'Glued Ballast- Do Not Tamp'. It tends to be in places where the loading gauge is very tight, such as the arches at the Dover end of Tonbridge.

post-6674-0-16238200-1395598246.jpg

I remember submitting a spoof article to the Modeller about the special train that's used to glue the ballast - a rake of tank wagons, half of which contained water, half seemed to contain glue and a mysterious white tank wagon in the middle bearing a logo of a green circle with a baby on it, and with a red nozzle on one end....

Needless to say, it wasn't accepted!

Edited by RJS1977

Increasing what they call the "fixity" of the track allows tighter clearances to be used, because it makes it impossible for the track to move around. 

The ballast is also glued just off the end of the Metrolink stop at the Etihad stadium, thus denying any miscreants a ready source of ammunition. 

• RMweb Gold

Big Yellow Tracky Things, Big Red Spidery Things, Big White Hatted Kernow Thing and eventually Big Yellow Tamping Thing. Just waiting for some Big Many Axled Things carrying big and small human things.

Oi - show some respect! Or I'll be gluing your Taunton pasty to the counter!!  ;)  :P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I remember submitting a spoof article to the Modeller about the special train that's used to glue the ballast - a rake of tank wagons, half of which contained water, half seemed to contain glue and a mysterious white tank wagon in the middle bearing a logo of a green circle with a baby on it, and with a red nozzle on one end....

Needless to say, it wasn't accepted!

Off topic, there have been some good spoofs in RM, I remember one about a group unloading miles of flexi track onto a beach to replicate the Nullarbor Plain (I wonder if James May ever saw it?). Your idea seems just as good to me!

Back on topic- great to see track once more!

Isn't the glues ballast in the area where the fibreglass covers are just short of Kennaway tunnel? I think I've got a photo of the sign somewhere.

And as of tonight, it looks like we nearly have a connection!

post-7515-0-77412600-1395610063.jpg

• Like 7

Big Yellow Tracky Things, Big Red Spidery Things, Big White Hatted Kernow Thing and eventually Big Yellow Tamping Thing. Just waiting for some Big Many Axled Things carrying big and small human things.

before the last part some poor sod has got to get his/her air brush out and weather the track first.....

latest screen shot

post-14408-0-51458600-1395610743.jpg

edit: also posted by surfsup as I was writting

Edited by yorkie_pudd
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Possibly a thick question, but does glued ballast still drain and perform like ordinary ballast? Otherwise what are the advantages of fixed ballast over say slab track?

It appears to drain just as effectively as normal ballast - plenty of it at Paddington and it never appears to be puddled after heavy rain when I've seen it.

The big advantages it has over slabtrack are simplicity and speed (of laying in) bevcause it is laid and tamped/lined into position just like any other ballasted track using the same materials and plant - then it is 'glued' to keep it in position.  Obviously the 'glue' needs time to go off but compared with the process of laying concrete slab and waiting for it to cure and getting in the fixings etc it is much quicker.