RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

I believe the pipes were used with the slot underneath! (There's a picture of one in the 1984 Constructor Annual).

Well I cant get down to look closely 

But we do have spring tides this week

& the most likely place for them would probably be parrallel to the shore

along towards the warren,

if someone would like to look

Edited by Granitechops

we had a picnic lunch at the Warren today

the best place was not on the beach

although we did get on the beach with the wheelchair & tandem trailer seat

as it was low tide

the best place was on the grass between the Boathouse & the seawall

as the wind was from the east & south

I remember seeing you cruising around....!

The display board near to the footbridge mentions that a section of pipe is now in the Newton Abbot museum. I took a photo, but it is too big to upload and I can't edit it on my smartphone...

We went to Dawlish Warren today and had a great day.

Lunch at the Porthouse watching all the trains go by and it was quite busy, cold in that wind though as others have mentioned.

We even jumped on a two car pacer rammed to the gunnels (the guard even apoligised for the overcrowding) to take a look at the marvellous job that Network Rail are doing.

The sun was strong though as I think I have acute sunburn a great day bar the sunburn. I did take some photos and I'll try to post them later.

The reasons for the continuing closures are given further up this thread.

I'm not doubting the reasons for closure or the need to provide security posts to keep gawpers (including me) away from the construction sites, but from what I saw at Dawlish Warren, access could still be provided to the footbridge without compromising the works or needing extra manning. My parents realised they had a problem when on a holiday in the mid-80's, I'd nagged them to take me there, only to spend hours on the footbridge instead of the beach, and I was hoping to make a nostalgic return .

Edited by 298

I'm not doubting the reasons for closure or the need to provide security posts to keep gawpers (including me) away from the construction sites, but from what I saw at Dawlish Warren, access could still be provided to the footbridge without compromising the works or needing extra manning. My parents realised they had a problem when on a holiday in the mid-80's, I'd nagged them to take me there, only to spend hours on the footbridge instead of the beach, and I was hoping to make a nostalgic return .

I think the problem is that the only work access to the outside seawall between

the washout (that was) & the compound at Dawlish Warren is over that bridge

& as the operatives often have to carry gear over that bridge H&S would have kittens if the public also used it

if your about for the rest of the week say HI, if you see me,

if I am not in the beach buggy chair I will be wearing a bright green fleecy if its windy

or it will be over the back of my smaller chair if its hot

we will be making the most of the good weather after all the storms

& will be about both at the Warren & in Dawlish

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I know that some will find the closure of the public areas frustrating, but please bear with us. I know for a fact that the project team will do everything they can to reopen the remaining public areas as soon as they can. What may seem illogical will have a reason behind it, so this will all be in the interests of getting the remaining works done - not all of which are going to be that easy - as soon as possible. Thanks.

• Like 2

Now we can see what the wall of sandbags was for - they needed to keep the area free to pour concrete, presumably underpinning the houses.

attachicon.gifDawlish.jpg

I saved the same pic

I would think that they were putting down a decent base to act as a foundation

& for the builders/insurers to later work out a solution to make the structure safe on it

I think the problem is that the only work access to the outside seawall between

the washout (that was) & the compound at Dawlish Warren is over that bridge

& as the operatives often have to carry gear over that bridge H&S would have kittens if the public also used it

if your about for the rest of the week say HI, if you see me,

if I am not in the beach buggy chair I will be wearing a bright green fleecy if its windy

or it will be over the back of my smaller chair if its hot

we will be making the most of the good weather after all the storms

& will be about both at the Warren & in Dawlish

A valid point, well made.

We are staying in Starcross, I'm not sure what else the missus has planned but I wouldn't mind another run along the coast.

• RMweb Gold

We are staying in Starcross, I'm not sure what else the missus has planned but I wouldn't mind another run along the coast.

If you are still around on Saturday, 'Sir Nigel Gresley' is making another trip to Kingswear...

If you are still around on Saturday, 'Sir Nigel Gresley' is making another trip to Kingswear...

Actually a good day out would be to catch a local stopper that goes via Newton Abbot to Paignton

Change to the heritage train for Kingswear

and you could be there when Sir Nigel arrives

great photo oportunities there

not only does the track curve on entering the station

guiving a panoramic of most of the train

there are foot paths I think nearly all the way to Brittania Halt by the Higher ferry

In starcross there's

The Atmospheric? the Galleon? Chimneys?

not a lot of other choice unless your camping?

Know it well

• RMweb Gold

there are foot paths I think nearly all the way to Brittania Halt by the Higher ferry

Indeed there is a riverside cinder path all the way up to The Higher Ferry. Alas Britannia Halt is no more. It was demolished some years ago unfortunately by a previous management. 

In starcross there's

The Atmospheric? the Galleon? Chimneys?

not a lot of other choice unless your camping?

Know it well

We're in a holiday cottage near to the station, watching realtime trains to see if the Westbury-Newton Abbot engineers train ventures further than Riverside yard, then we're off to Teignmouth for the day. We were hoping to use the train more, but it's a pain dragging a pram onto a 143 or 153, some people think they're on a tube train and have to stand near the door, in case they can't get off. We're going home on Saturday so will miss SNG, but will be calling in at Pecorama.

• RMweb Premium

70 not being tested for being waterproof along there then? Do I remember something a few years back when some X Country set failed due to spray getting into the elastic band drive thingy?  It looked a bit rough in some of the recent pics (the sea not the Class 70) and the weather is quite good. It must be 'interesting' along there when the line is open and the sea is 'up'! Is there some sort of limit where Units are 'stopped' due to the 'washover/spray?

P

Do I remember something a few years back when some X Country set failed due to spray getting into the elastic band drive thingy? 

Probably the Voyagers. Their manufacturer was a little unused to the British penchant for cold showers. The earth leakage protection on the roof-mounted power resistor bank was a little too sensitive for the conditions encountered.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst looking for something else on u-tube.....

...as it says ..."how stupid can you be?" . What if there had been another train crossing at speed? I don't suppose that they ever got prosecuted.

I do always think of the drivers in these situations.

• RMweb Premium

Probably the Voyagers. Their manufacturer was a little unused to the British penchant for cold showers. The earth leakage protection on the roof-mounted power resistor bank was a little too sensitive for the conditions encountered.

Which can be roughly summed up in one word----

Junk. :jester: