Rob's Painting, Lining and Weathering

Along side lining the A3 I have also taken the plunge and lined Severn - for those that don't remember it, I scratch built it in 2010 and painted it blue but I decided to give it the finish that it really deserves - although I doubt that Colonel Stephens would have splashed out on lining the wheels.....

I have gone a bit mad with the photos because I am really pleased with my efforts on this one.

IMG_5688_zpsfb628d5c.jpg

IMG_5687_zpsfd997219.jpg

IMG_5686_zpsc2f1a66e.jpg

IMG_5684_zps2b2c4a71.jpg

IMG_5680_zps4072d8c1.jpg

IMG_5679_zps1a5b25de.jpg

IMG_5677_zps8d889ddf.jpg

IMG_5675_zps53e00b65.jpg

IMG_5674_zpsc9a6c548.jpg

All the lining has been done with bow pen and compasses using Humbrol enamels.

I made a couple of jigs to assist with the lining and I will take some photos of them tomorrow.

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 8

As promised these are the pens and jigs that I used to do the lining job on Severn.

IMG_5690_zpsdb077ef2.jpg

Although I have a Haff pen and compass they are not as fine as those in the photo, the pen is a Kern head that was attached to a strange compass so I made a new handle from some suitably sized brass tube. The compasses are an unknown German make that I picked up in a mix set with the Kern one fr a few quid on Ebay some time ago. I used one of the emery board type files that you get as a free gift each time you place an order with Scale Hardware - they have four different grades of abrasives and the too finest are perfect for honing the pens and compasses.

The flat brass with the washer on the end is for creating the corners 

The plastic card curve was used to create the lozenge shape around the name plates 

The wire with the small shoe is a dog legged skate that replaces the straight pin in the bow compass to allow me to do the curves on the splashers fronts etc. by reaching above and beyond the rivets on the edge of the splasher tops.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am now getting more confident with my weathering and although I have posted some photos on my workbench I thought that I would add some here too.

I have been working on this 7mm Parkside Bolster wagon.

IMG_6076_zps3b3eacac.jpg

IMG_6075_zps0484fb28.jpg

IMG_6074_zps40265327.jpg

IMG_6069_zpsf54e3bcd.jpg

IMG_6068_zps6664ca72.jpg

All the weathering has been achieved with acrylics and talc.

• Like 5

Thanks George,

From being frightened to have a go I have very quickly moved into the what can I try next arena. I suppose it was the same as when I first learned to solder I couldn't get what I had been scared of but I was still reluctant to have a go at weathering......

Hopefully I won't be so reluctant to face my next modelling fear.

Continuing the Bolster wagon theme, here is another heavily weathered LNER example. This time a Parkisde LNER 20 ton Hopper wagon. 

I have a couple of the DJH/Piercy kits for a couple of these too when I get to them.

IMG_6104_zps0090503a.jpg

IMG_6101_zpsf9be56ef.jpg

IMG_6100_zpsc49117fd.jpg

IMG_6096_zps7c60cffa.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Nelson,

Although I have been building and painting kit's for a few years, I only started to weather stock myself from March this year. So you haven't much catching up to do on that score.

In terms of painting, the best advice I took was to buy an air brush with a 0.5mm needle instead of the more usual 0.3mm type that is supplied as standard with many air brushes. The finish quality of my painting has improved tremendously since getting one and I haven't looked back.

I prefer to use acrylic paints because I suffer from paint fumes from spirit based paints and the slightly bigger nozzle size seems to cope with the acrylics much better. For those paints that need it, I thin them with Tamiya acrylic thinners until they are a bit like milk in consistency (for spraying where possible I use Vallejo Model Air that come already thinned for spraying - you just need to find colours that suit from their sometime garish names).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Just been reading through your thread and admiring your weathering skills.

There was one image which kind of glared out at me though, the bolster wagon with round steel bars. The weathering is excellent but it's a touch overloaded.

Excuse the maths, it's just to demonstrate the point,

Guesstimating the bars as representing 3" (.25') bars, 20' long.

Their volume, in cubic feet, is

Pi x Diam x length, so 3.142 x .25 x 20 = 15.71 cubic feet.

A cubic foot of steel weighs around 500lbs, so each bar would weigh 7855lbs, or 3.4 tons.

There's about 60 bars on your bolster, in excess of 200 tons! If your bars represent 2" bars, that's still a load weight of 140 tons. On the bright side, you've now enough nicely modelled bars for another 10 wagons.

I have a particular interest in modelling the steel industry and often see steel carrying models overloaded, people underestimate just how heavy blocks of steel are.

Hope you don't mind me pointing it out, seems a pity to spoil an otherwise excellent model by giving it a load which would have crushed it....

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Just been reading through your thread and admiring your weathering skills.

There was one image which kind of glared out at me though, the bolster wagon with round steel bars. The weathering is excellent but it's a touch overloaded.

Excuse the maths, it's just to demonstrate the point,

Guesstimating the bars as representing 3" (.25') bars, 20' long.

Their volume, in cubic feet, is

Pi x Diam x length, so 3.142 x .25 x 20 = 15.71 cubic feet.

A cubic foot of steel weighs around 500lbs, so each bar would weigh 7855lbs, or 3.4 tons.

There's about 60 bars on your bolster, in excess of 200 tons! If your bars represent 2" bars, that's still a load weight of 140 tons. On the bright side, you've now enough nicely modelled bars for another 10 wagons.

I have a particular interest in modelling the steel industry and often see steel carrying models overloaded, people underestimate just how heavy blocks of steel are.

Hope you don't mind me pointing it out, seems a pity to spoil an otherwise excellent model by giving it a load which would have crushed it....

Hi Arthur, 

Far from minding I am very grateful for you to take the interest and the time to post the reasoning behind what you suggest.

I never thought about what they might actually weigh and I will attempt to modify them - I say attempt because I cannot remember how I fastened them together. In the worst case, I still have the rest of the pack of skewers to make more if they won't separate.

Thanks again.

Thanks Rob, just pleased that you found the info. of some interest. I did some similar calculations for the steel carrying fleet on the BCB project layout and have done some for steel tube for the forthcoming 4mm Bachmann tube wagon.

• 3 weeks later...
I mentioned in one of my threads that I would do a posting showing some of the stages of my weathering processes

Starting from this:

LNER12TonVans004_zpsb37a4e0f.jpg

I started by giving the body work with a coat of Ronseal satin hardglaze the water based variety.

A couple of days later I coated the entire body work in a 'grot' coat made up from Vallejo Flat earth, Dark Sea Grey and a hint of black.

IMG_6657_zps877e8c86.jpg

IMG_6658_zpsbc9647fe.jpg

Once again I left it for a few days- I had done this much while up at the cottage but the rest from this point was done at home.

Next I started to remove the 'grot' coat using a flat ended brush dipped in Meths a bit at a time.

IMG_6662_zps11bb483e.jpg

IMG_6663_zps472103fc.jpg

IMG_6664_zps464ebfae.jpg

At this stage I left it for a few more days while I decided if I had finished.

I decided that I wasn't, so I did a bit more using the same technique of flat brush and meths.

IMG_6747_zpsf31aa2bc.jpg

IMG_6748_zps6729c401.jpg

IMG_6749_zps636c3820.jpg

IMG_6750_zps2b6c87ba.jpg

IMG_6751_zpscf0659d9.jpg

IMG_6755_zps53a2eaa1.jpg

IMG_6754_zpsc3a9a5c9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

With the other van that I built and painted at the same time I tried a different technique.

Here is a reminder of what it looked like at the outset.

LNER12TonVans005_zpse1b3fa23.jpg

This then had 2 coats of Johnsons Klear (the original variety) brush painted on and left over night.

Next I mixed up a mixture of Vallejo 'Dark Fleshtones' which was the colour that I used for the bauxite finish and my mix of 'grot' described in the last post.

The body work was liberally coated with it and again it was left to dry while I got home from the cottage. Then I set to with the falt brush and meths....

IMG_6656_zpsa442eeb3.jpg

IMG_6660_zpsd8fdb0c4.jpg

IMG_6661_zpsaab31de0.jpg

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that I managed to knock of the steam pipes while weathering and again no door handles or guard irons......

IMG_6743_zps73b855ed.jpg

IMG_6744_zps3c7cf8c8.jpg

IMG_6745_zps9965c96c.jpg

IMG_6756_zps1acff472.jpg

This has given a completely different look to the vehicle than the other one so I now have a few different techniques under my belt. 

Now I need to master subtle....

• Like 1