Rob's Painting, Lining and Weathering

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the gas tank wagon after weathering - I have really struggled to get some decent photos that show the colours on this. Daylight seems to have washed it out to a grey colour when in reality it very much has an uneven brown cast to it. 

All the photos I have in my LNER books show that gas tank wagons got very dirty but without exception (in the photos I have) the lettering is clearly visible.

My weathering mix was made up of the following Vallejo Model colour range, all diluted for spraying with Tamiya acrylic thinners.

Flat Earth

Leather Brown

Blue Grey

Black Grey

I started with a base of a more brownish colour and spraying from 8-10" away so their was a bit of splatter giving texture as well as colour. Then I added more of the greys to the mix and went over it again. I used a small brush and meths to uncover the lettering before adding another light coat with the greyish mix to blend it in. I used some antique brass to paint the handwheels before the weathering, again easing back the gunge with a small brush and meths.

IMG_6852_zpsf694a7ea.jpg

IMG_6849_zpsf66adabe.jpg

IMG_6840_zpsd07001d5.jpg

IMG_6837_zps6f76b322.jpg

IMG_6836_zpsebaaa466.jpg

IMG_6828_zps74e12ed3.jpg

IMG_6827_zps2846cdd9.jpg

Having looked at the photos, besides the lighting I still felt that something was lacking on the weathering of the tank wagon -despite the texture it still looked a bit flat. So with some input from Chris a bit of tweaking has taken place. No more paint has been added just some careful dragging of the pain with a small stiffish brush and some meths. I seem to have the lighting better this time around with it bringing out the true colours.

IMG_6862_zpsa86bb71d.jpg

IMG_6860_zpsb36cbec2.jpg

IMG_6859_zps18486896.jpg

IMG_6858_zps73935ce3.jpg

• Like 1

Strange letters but fine subtle work Rob

absolutely lovely 

Best regards

Eric & Gripper

Many thanks for the kind words Eric.

With regard to the strange lettering, they are still from up north and we had both in Wakefield with Kirkgate Station being shared between the two companies.

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
Having been pleased with the look of the Skytrex barrels that I did earlier ver Christmas I took advantage of a Skytrex special offer and bought some wagon loads. These consisted of two different loads of barrels - from a choice of three or four, a load of sacks and a couple of loads of carboy's (demi-john type jars) packed in straw.

In between other jobs I have painted a couple of them.

IMG_7244_zps6e91da26.jpg

IMG_7245_zps9cb8e63a.jpg

IMG_7246_zps2a83c0ca.jpg

IMG_7247_zpsc6a6fc92.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Phill,

I sprayed them black first using vallejo black primer, then they were sprayed again using vallejo model colour Flat earth. The details were then painted in with vallejo air colour fire red, and medium sea grey with the white/cream 'writing' done with Games workshop 'rotting flesh' They were then finished of with Ronseal Hard Glaze water based Matt varnish let down for spraying with IPA.

In true, Blue Peter fashion here's some more that I did earlier..

IMG_7209_zpseb84b52e.jpg

IMG_7208_zpsced84402.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
This weekend hasn't seen any construction works but I did added transfers to the open wagon and start to weather it.  I also finished the weathering on another NBR 8 ton box van.

I am on the look out for some more of these to use as the basis for some semi scratch builds.

I used this van as a bit of a test to see if IPA works the same as meths for manipulating acrylic paint after it's dried and I am pleased to say it does and it isn't quite as aggressive as meths which is a bonus - I have had a couple of instances with meths where I have inadvertently taken the paint back to bare plastic 

IMG_7271_zps4e9559c4.jpg

IMG_7268_zps28b38f40.jpg

IMG_7270_zpse0fc1123.jpg

IMG_7269_zpsdc9931f5.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Another one that got some weathering attention last weekend was the LMS coal wagon.

IMG_7352_zpsec4d736a.jpg

IMG_7327_zpsa4fb3da4.jpg

The sunlight has lightened the inside somewhat - much more than in reality.

IMG_7326_zps0cac3f22.jpg

IMG_7325_zps0d896bf4.jpg

IMG_7323_zpsb1ccce95.jpg

IMG_7321_zps81271ee9.jpg

I am undecided as to whether I put a few lumps of stray coal inside to finish it off.

A couple more wagons have passed through the weathering bench.

IMG_7375_zpsnqzmfwhj.jpg

IMG_7376_zpsy27lcwz2.jpg

This one I have been tinkering with for 6 or 8 weeks in total - doing something at it each week but not being satisfied with it until now.

IMG_7380_zpshhz8cpvd.jpg

IMG_7381_zpsbgbhawxi.jpg

• 1 month later...
Next passed the finish post is the GCR/LNER CCT.

IMG_7481_zpskplaihwu.jpg

IMG_7483_zps0zfe0ck9.jpg

IMG_7484_zpsfsxyd2gz.jpg

IMG_7485_zpshfx7wezq.jpg

And of course its only when you take the photos that you notice the buffer heads - they have been blackened but nothing further and they still seem a bit too shiny.

The final item that I completed in the last week is the Gladiator Beer van.

A recent discovery in the Vallejo Model Colour range was Dark Sea Grey and Leather Brown, which work very well as an acrylic substitute for the Tarmac and Matt Leather that seem to be favoured by many as weathering staples.

IMG_7488_zpsrubfifwo.jpg

IMG_7487_zpsyxo3vseu.jpg

IMG_7486_zpswtd4fb47.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
In between a visit to the NE Steam Gala at Locomotion and other bit's and pieces I had the paints out and got the NBR4 Plank weathered.

IMG_7665_zpsvjaerq6e.jpg

IMG_7664_zpsxbaaarr3.jpg

And lastly a couple of shots of the latest examples together.

IMG_7669_zpsz0hiy2cr.jpg

IMG_7668_zpsqkngohqs.jpg

• Like 1

I made some real progress with the lime wagon over the weekend and it now just needs a little weathering to tone down the newness. The home made transfers have worked a treat.

IMG_7498_zpsahkr4sf4.jpg

IMG_7497_zpsyp3hjczy.jpg

IMG_7496_zpst87jgo9r.jpg

IMG_7495_zpst2abzmvg.jpg

Hi Rob

Excellent work and extremely enjoyable read. I too tend to use Vallejo which I find to have a greater range of useable colours, interesting to see you mention changing the needle to a larger size, something I must try.

The homemade transfers look really effective, can you advise which product you are using tho to make these please?

Keep up the good work !

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi BGMan,

Sorry about the delay in my reply - I haven't updated this thread for a while. I am using transfer laser paper from MrDecal Paper whom I found on eBay. I used the white for the Dowlow Lime wagon.

Although I haven't managed any modelling while in Wakefield for what seems to be far too long I did manage a bit more painting and weathering over the weekend. Apart from couplings the NBR Dropside wagon is finished. 

It's not clearly visible anymore but I have added a paint date of '19 in the crescent on the sides and weathered it based on photos of NBR 3 and 4 plank wagons in Tatlow.

IMG_8204_zps70doyr0o.jpg

IMG_8206_zpspm51qtua.jpg

IMG_8207_zpsl3v6rcra.jpg

Lastly I added it's load after playing around painting that with some 'wood' coloured paint....

IMG_8210_zpsgozjpd0z.jpg
Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 2

While I had the paints out I also finished the weathering on the NBR Floor Cloth wagon that I built from a Majestic Models Kit (Now with Chris Basten at Dragon Models).

New-Out99994_zpsm3ut125f.jpg

New-Out99993_zpsrlwcumwh.jpg

The 'floor cloth' rolls are made from coloured light card (file dividers). I just need to add a tarpaulin sheet now to finish it off.

New-Out99992_zpsqajxttdc.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...