247 Developments GWR Bogies

• RMweb Gold

I've seen these mentioned quite a lot but I've never seen a photo of a pair being built.My experience is of the Comet type but would give these a try with more information.Do they come with instructions and I'm after the 7' plate type first.Product no.C485.

http://247developments.co.uk/coach_detailing.html#bog

I've built several of Gary's (247 Developments) bogies: 3x Dean 8'6" and lastly the 7' plate. They are all-whitemetal and go together fairly easilly (I've used superglue).

One point to note is that the bearing holes need to be fully drilled out and the bearings well-seated, otherwise the cross-stretcher,holding the side frames, will not seat correctly, when the wheel/axles are in place. (Experience of cack-handed assembly has taught me this).

Talk to Gary, if you'd like advice, he's very approachable.

I have no connection with the supplier, other than a well-satisfied customer.

Have you a photo to hand David please.

No, sorry, I'm in Poland: bogies are in Norfolk, under three clerestories, and a Hornby R457.

The 247 Devleopment bogies are only three pieces: side frames and a stretcher(?). No instructions needed: solder, or glue as required. You choose your own bearings and wheels.

I'm not a brilliant modeller, but they all went together fairly easilly, using the right tools.

I have made both the open frame and plate bogies to replace the Ratio ones on their Macaw.  The went together well and I am very pleased with them.  I ditched the Ratio ones in order to build to P4.  I would use them again, but I now have enough Macaws.

post-4465-0-26190500-1392041375.jpg

I should have said that I had to make new bearing plates on the Macaw.  I made square blocks from laminated plasticard, drilled the centre and force fitted a length of brass tube.  The bogie goes on this and is held on with a short washer of insulation off some flex.

No, but those particular MJT masters were made by John Hayes, so are probably the best around.

However, somewhere between the masters and the MJT casting there can be issues - I have a set of 9' American cosmetic bogies that don't actually fit on the 9' CCU because the cast bearing holes are marginally less than 9' apart - fixable, but it means the wheels don't quite line up with the sideframes. I was sufficiently unimpressed that I haven't bothered with MJT bogies since.

An additional issue with the 9' American (only) is that it comes with a 'choice of axleboxes' which translates to 4 of each style, which means you have to mix the styles.

Adrian

I have built the 7 foot GWR type from 247. I haven't yet built the coaches that they are intended for. Knocked up three pairs of bogies in a couple of evenings work. I think they look pretty good. Came out square and true. I seem to recall I had to drill out the axleboxes to take the pinpoint bearings but the cast holes provided an adequate start.

Still got one set to do.

There is a photo of these on my Clerestories thread, post No 15.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/26913-rebuilding-Hornby-gwr-clerestories/

Hope that works I've not tried linking to another topic before.

Adrian (Darwinian)

• 2 months later...

Not yet, but experience with other products suggests that some filing smooth on the inside will be needed.  Most white metal bogies come out a bit over-width.  After a while I  found that the file was not taking off any more metal but polishing it!  Wet and dry paper did the trick.

Chris

Archived