Tinsley servicing shed

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

OK it has been some time since I last posted about this proposed layout.

Here are some photos of the track plan (Templot) in 4mm scale, this will be the size of the senic area for a small diesel depot, it fills up my living room. :O

post-16423-0-69088100-1414284817_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-33029300-1414284828_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-21002300-1414284838_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-44229400-1414284848_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-67040200-1414284859_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-47621900-1414284869_thumb.jpg

Now to put back the living room as it was before Carys wakes up. :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 14

Clive

Having spent more or less every weekend of my childhood at Tinsley I will follow with interest. I actually remember walking round this servicing shed or should I say sneaking ;)

I once planned on making this myself it's a interesting layout with unique stock to add to it.

• RMweb Premium

Clive, not trying to be funny or anything, but can a layout be too big?

The trackwork looks tremendous, but will there be room for some surrounding features and will it be something achievable?

Just wondering...........

Best wishes,

Peter

Hi Peter

It is bigger than the average model loco shed, I should know I have knocked up a few in my time. :) The only time layout is too big is when you cannot set it up to have a play.

The bueaty of Tinsley servicing shed is that the lines are not all on the same level. I have not drawn the hump yet but that sits over one of the engine lines leaving the shed area. It has other features like the OLE lines that run either side of it. There is quite a lot to occupy ones viewing between movement of trains........hopefully.

As for achievable, at the moment no less than any other project I have tried. If I don't try how will I know. :scratchhead:

Thanks to everyone else who has commented on the project so far.

• Like 6

Hi Peter

It is bigger than the average model loco shed, I should know I have knocked up a few in my time. :) The only time layout is too big is when you cannot set it up to have a play.

The bueaty of Tinsley servicing shed is that the lines are not all on the same level. I have not drawn the hump yet but that sits over one of the engine lines leaving the shed area. It has other features like the OLE lines that run either side of it. There is quite a lot to occupy ones viewing between movement of trains........hopefully.

As for achievable, at the moment no less than any other project I have tried. If I don't try how will I know. :scratchhead:

Thanks to everyone else who has commented on the project so far.

Clive

I for one am behind you with this and I'm sure that there'll be plenty of encouragement. suggestions and assistance.

Clive, not trying to be funny or anything, but can a layout be too big?

The trackwork looks tremendous, but will there be room for some surrounding features and will it be something achievable?

Time to switch to 2mm Scale then?

:)

Regards, Andy

Good Luck with it, whatever the scale. I have happy memories of trips around the main shed in the early 80s and a soft spot for the Woodhead electrics too.

Sad to see what the place has come to nowadays though.

Regards, Andy

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Take whatever time you need Clive.  Seen your 'Hanging Hill' which was great and looking forward to this.  No point in rushing it.  It took me 2 years to do the main TMD at Tinsley which was only 7 and a half' by 4' and that was just two thirds of the shed.  Sadly had to dismantle because of house move and still hadn't really finished it.  Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

*Bump*

3 years on Clive a good subject I am  working on a much "inspired by" scaled down fuelling shed only version.

Ian

Hi Ian

At the moment all model railways are on hold, we did plan to move last year but things being what they were we didn't. Still not sure if the house is going back on the market so all model projects are on hold.

Have you seen the new bookzine on Diesel Depots, there is a very tasty photo of the Tinsley servicing shed.

• RMweb Gold

actually you can have a bus on the bridge at tinsley. there was a bus run by syt for rail staff .

I can't remember a SYT bus service to the depot but there was a service of Sherpa minibuses to midland and to drivers homes that had transferred from closed depots

Tinsley has about four Sherpas for transport

I can't remember a SYT bus service to the depot but there was a service of Sherpa minibuses to midland and to drivers homes that had transferred from closed depots

Tinsley has about four Sherpas for transport

It was common for many depots, there was a crew bus that ran Tyne, Gateshead and the Central Station and likewise for Millerhill to Waverley and Leeds, Neville Hill and Holbeck!

Mark Saunders

• 1 year later...