507017 breaks cover in the new Merseyrail livery

• RMweb Gold

Merseyrail seems to have developed quite a taste for promotional liveries. There's the Liverpool Hope unit (a local university), the Beatles Experience unit; are any of the Capital of Culture units still carrying their special liveries?

Jim

No the CoC ones went a few years back, the two others mentioned are planned to continue with their existing liveries.

The idea of the livery is to promote things to be seen around the Merseyrail network, it's yellow on one side and silver on the other.

Both units are on the Northern line today (thanks Flyingsignalman) so it should be possible to get a picture of them both in the same station.

Both units are on the Northern line today (thanks Flyingsignalman) so it should be possible to get a picture of them both in the same station.[/size]

Sadly I'm not on the Northern line. Normally I'd be travelling from Waterloo (so I'd have a chance of seeing both units at the same time) but at the moment I'm under doctor's orders not to walk as far as the station, so I'm commuting on the bus instead :-(

I dont really see the need for different coloured passenger doors on stock where the doors are opened and closed by the guard, on ones with a outside button or handle yes for a partially sighted person I can agree, but im sure even a partially sighted person can notice the large gap in the side of a train when the door is open, the doors are opened as soon as the train stops at a station, even at a terminus they are always open.

A couple of shots (from my phone; and thus far from perfect) of the "grey side" in service yesterday...

This was taken at Blundellsands & Crosby at about 09:10, with 507 017 leading a six-car Southport train:

post-263-0-94430300-1392465789.jpg

And this one shows the unit at Sandhills on a Hunts Cross (via Liverpool Central) train at about 18:40

post-263-0-83433600-1392465800.jpg

These photos raise an interesting question for those familiar with the Merseyrail network. In the morning shot, the grey side is on the inland side of the train; but by the evening, it's facing the coast. So the unit must have been reversed at some point during the day. The only place this can be done on the Northern Line is at Southport, where there's a triangle of electrified lines. Looking at the Quail map book, access to the stabling siding at Southport would best be done via the triangle (the alternative would involve using the running lines for shunting), so is this something that happens to all units at some time during the day, but is just more obvious on a unit with differently-painted sides?

Jim

Slight correction to my comment re the Southport sidings.

Wallside Siding, Sidings 8 & 9 and Birkdale 1 & 2 sidings are in use but the other electric sidings (10 and Birkdale 3 & 4) are out of use. 

The diesel sidings, 1 2 & 3 have never been used since the Merseyrail IECC opened in 1994. The facing connection to these sidings, in the Down Wigan line and laid in at that time has never been used at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Right, thanks. I didn't know. I've got mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, I think that the "tiger stripe" is a really good look when it's clean. On the other, it doesn't weather well at all.

Congratulations to your son, by the way. Has he been published before?

Jim

• 4 months later...

Merseyrail seems to have developed quite a taste for promotional liveries. There's the Liverpool Hope unit (a local university), the Beatles Experience unit; are any of the Capital of Culture units still carrying their special liveries?

Jim'

as Beast66606 said, all the capital of culture liveried ones have now gone, but you can still find a 'Capital if culture 08' sticker on some units.

Archived