507017 breaks cover in the new Merseyrail livery

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to a very early morning text from Flyingsignalman my son was able to go out and capture 507017 on it's first day carrying the new Merseyrail livery.

post-6662-0-74834000-1392029077_thumb.jpg

507017 by John Skipsey on Flickr

More photos at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97403198@N03/with/12431400085/

• RMweb Premium

Some nice photos on the Flickr account; John must have had a good teacher :yes:  A really good impression of contemporary railways in the North-West and proving that it's not all multiple units either. Seeing the Arriva 175 I still can't quite believe that they run only a two-car unit from Piccadilly to Carmarthen and Milford Haven; they can already be pretty crowded when they leave Manchester. I feel sorry for the announcer at Piccadilly who has to read out the full list of station stops!

It will be interesting to see what option Merseyrail go for in the 507/508 replacement. I think that they may be dual-voltage units as 25kv ac seems to be the favoured option for the Bidston - Wrexham electrification when it happens.

David

Class 319's cascaded from Thameslink @ 3 years time

XF

Incorrect I'm afraid. The 319's are in a state of flux at the moment with the first 6 due to go up in May for driver training and refresh/refurbishment prior to entering traffic in December on Manchester Airport-Liverpool via Chat Moss services. As it stands the 319's were due to be split between FGW and Northern, however with FGW seemingly destined to get the 110mph 387's for pathing reasons and/or new 125mph commuter EMU's, their allocation could be going to Northern. A chap on WNXX has done the maths and with all the electrification work going on it's highly likely all 86 will end up with Northern. The electrification schemes only cater for around 60 319's however it's likely that the Northern contingent of 323's will move down to London Midland, as by the end of CP5 Chase Line electrification and other schemes will require EMU's, and I'd imagine that some peak hour diagrams on the Cross-City line will require doubling up, as well as the potential to put any spare 323's on Walsall services to cascade some 350's to Euston services. And finally it's probable that the 321/322's at Neville Hill will be replaced by 319's (which makes sense as there will only be a need for two fleets, 319's and WYPTE's 333's), so that will take the number up to the whole class of 86.

As for Merseyrail use, the only suggestion I've ever read was of third-railing to Wigan Wallgate to allow through services from Manchester to operate onto the Merseyrail network, which has only ever been idle speculation on forums. As for Merseyrail replacements, you might be waiting for that for a while - The local authorities are keen on the idea but are currently balking at the cost, so as it stands the 507/508's will be undergoing a programme of corrosion repairs and deep cleaning and repaints to keep them decent until the end of CP5 at least. Hope this helps!

• RMweb Premium

Class 319's cascaded from Thameslink @ 3 years time

XF

Wow, the amazing, expanding Class 319. Going to Great Western, Northern and now Merseyrail. The latter seems unlikely as the fleet procurement is down to them, as unlike other unfortunates they are not in thrall to the DfT, and are grown-up enough to make their own decisions about rolling stock procurement.

Their Dutch colleagues at Northern may well end up with merely re-vinyled Class 319s as recent rumours suggest that the promised refurbishment may turn out to be nothing of the sort. This may turn out to be wrong but the words 'trust' and 'Marsham Street' can turn out to be mutually exclusive terms.

David

Incorrect I'm afraid. The 319's are in a state of flux at the moment with the first 6 due to go up in May for driver training and refresh/refurbishment prior to entering traffic in December on Manchester Airport-Liverpool via Chat Moss services. As it stands the 319's were due to be split between FGW and Northern, however with FGW seemingly destined to get the 110mph 387's for pathing reasons and/or new 125mph commuter EMU's, their allocation could be going to Northern. A chap on WNXX has done the maths and with all the electrification work going on it's highly likely all 86 will end up with Northern. The electrification schemes only cater for around 60 319's however it's likely that the Northern contingent of 323's will move down to London Midland, as by the end of CP5 Chase Line electrification and other schemes will require EMU's, and I'd imagine that some peak hour diagrams on the Cross-City line will require doubling up, as well as the potential to put any spare 323's on Walsall services to cascade some 350's to Euston services. And finally it's probable that the 321/322's at Neville Hill will be replaced by 319's (which makes sense as there will only be a need for two fleets, 319's and WYPTE's 333's), so that will take the number up to the whole class of 86.

As for Merseyrail use, the only suggestion I've ever read was of third-railing to Wigan Wallgate to allow through services from Manchester to operate onto the Merseyrail network, which has only ever been idle speculation on forums. As for Merseyrail replacements, you might be waiting for that for a while - The local authorities are keen on the idea but are currently balking at the cost, so as it stands the 507/508's will be undergoing a programme of corrosion repairs and deep cleaning and repaints to keep them decent until the end of CP5 at least. Hope this helps!

The transfer of Class 319's to FGW is not confirmed either as their are issues with the length of trains on the Thames Valley branches specifically the Marlow branch. An informed source has indicated that Mark Hopwood favours Class 377's as 3 car sets of these are short enough to Marlow, Given the current flooding maybe boats might be a better option !

XF

The transfer of Class 319's to FGW is not confirmed either as their are issues with the length of trains on the Thames Valley branches specifically the Marlow branch. An informed source has indicated that Mark Hopwood favours Class 377's as 3 car sets of these are short enough to Marlow, Given the current flooding maybe boats might be a better option !

XF

More to do with capacity on the fasts as the EMU's have got to be able to keep out of the way of the IEP's every few minutes. Post electrification the fasts will probably have more tph on them than the WCML, it'll be rammed in the peaks, hence why 387's or 125mph EMU's are favoured. The 377/3's which currently do South London Metro's and East Grinstead work will move back to the Coastway routes - the 313's are needed at Hornsey for Moorgate strengthening and additional services, and as I doubt all of them will be needed, my money is on a small fleet of 5 or 6 313's for the branches, but could just as easily be a small batch of 377's too! But I wouldn't have thought Marlow/Bourne End/Windsor/Henley services would be an efficient use of 100mph units considering Coastway is longer distance and faster line speeds presumably.

More to do with capacity on the fasts as the EMU's have got to be able to keep out of the way of the IEP's every few minutes. Post electrification the fasts will probably have more tph on them than the WCML, it'll be rammed in the peaks, hence why 387's or 125mph EMU's are favoured. The 377/3's which currently do South London Metro's and East Grinstead work will move back to the Coastway routes - the 313's are needed at Hornsey for Moorgate strengthening and additional services, and as I doubt all of them will be needed, my money is on a small fleet of 5 or 6 313's for the branches, but could just as easily be a small batch of 377's too! But I wouldn't have thought Marlow/Bourne End/Windsor/Henley services would be an efficient use of 100mph units considering Coastway is longer distance and faster line speeds presumably.

There are a few peak services which run to/from Bourne End and Henley on Thames to Paddington in the peaks hence why these service need 100mph units however I have used one of the current 165/6 through services in the morning which crawls at 40mph from West Drayton to Acton daily due to the current congestion on the FGW and I cannot see thus situation improving after CrossaRail most likely it will be worse.

Anyway we have drifted off the topic and maybe need to carry on this discussion on the GWML Electification thread before this one gets locked.

Nigel

There are a few peak services which run to/from Bourne End and Henley on Thames to Paddington in the peaks hence why these service need 100mph units however I have used one of the current 165/6 through services in the morning which crawls at 40mph from West Drayton to Acton daily due to the current congestion on the FGW and I cannot see thus situation improving after CrossaRail most likely it will be worse.

Anyway we have drifted off the topic and maybe need to carry on this discussion on the GWML Electification thread before this one gets locked.

Nigel

That's only Bourne End and Henley though. Off-peak they won't need an 100mph unit, so Marlow/Bourne End/Henley/Windsor can adequately be served by a 313 off-peak. I suspect post electrification it'll be a pair of 110mph 387's on the fasts as far as Stockley for Bourne End/Henley splitting at Maidenhead. IIRC they're due to keep their through services post-electrification. But like you said, better not do anymore thread drift! Don't want to incur the wrath of the mods!

• RMweb Premium

Wow, the amazing, expanding Class 319. Going to Great Western, Northern and now Merseyrail. The latter seems unlikely as the fleet procurement is down to them, as unlike other unfortunates they are not in thrall to the DfT, and are grown-up enough to make their own decisions about rolling stock procurement.

Their Dutch colleagues at Northern may well end up with merely re-vinyled Class 319s as recent rumours suggest that the promised refurbishment may turn out to be nothing of the sort. This may turn out to be wrong but the words 'trust' and 'Marsham Street' can turn out to be mutually exclusive terms.

David

It must be Northern, as they never get any proper-brand-new-never-been-out-of-the-box stuff. All they get is revinyled and pro-weathered.......... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

A Class 323 cascade is certainly possible, as part of a standardisation process across Northern to take advantage of the wires.  It is looking highly likely that Class 319 will move en masse, but these are far from a done deal, as the franchise competition is run towards the end of this year, and the rolling stock strategy will not be prescriptive.  

Archived