Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

AIMREC - Ashford International Model Railway Excellence Centre

Having seen references (above) to Miniatur Wunderland and (not) Miniatur Wunderland - I wunder {sic} which of those variants would have the biggest visitor harvest sector ?

Interesting to see how this might develop, though s'pose it being 'darn sarf' will help.

Rgds and Good Luck.

Edit - previously only 'sarf'

Further Edit to attempt to hopefully address 'indecipherable / unsure' feedback rating

in post #16 above it was said:-

"........As amazing and entertaining as the Hamburg exhibition is, I hope this doesn't turn out to be a British mini version of Miniatur Wunderland......." {sic}

and in post #17 (by way of a reply?) it was said that:-

"......this will be no Miniatur Wunderland. It will be a centre of excellence and the exhibits will be of an extremely high standard, serving as an inspiration for visitors......."  {sic}

My post was intended to postulate which 'appeal factor' (Miniatur Wunderland or centre of excellence) would generate the most visitors, adding that the geographic catchment area may lead to more ad-hoc visits than might be otherwise be expected for a centre of excellence; which, rightly or wrongly, can sometimes deter ad-hoc visits.

OK Andy; from your edit, I see what you were saying.

However, I don't think it's worth speculating about those two different concepts as if debating which is the better approach, as the objective of the exercise is quite specific.

The objective of this project appears to be primarily as a centre of excellence, presented in such a way that it would (largely out of necessity) also be a viable commercial enterprise. Where as a "Miniatur Wunderland" type approach, would suggest an outright commercial tourist attraction, which thankfully appears not to be the intention of this project.

OK Andy; from your edit, I see what you were saying.

However, I don't think it's worth speculating about those two different concepts as if debating which is the better approach, as the objective of the exercise is quite specific.

The objective of this project appears to be primarily as a centre of excellence, presented in such a way that it would (largely out of necessity) also be a viable commercial enterprise. Where as a "Miniatur Wunderland" type approach, would suggest an outright commercial tourist attraction, which thankfully appears not to be the intention of this project.

Ron,

Your view that "it isn't worth speculating" about the two concepts reinforces your earlier sentiments, above and in post #16, that somehow Miniatur Wunderland might be considered to be of a lower order than a 'centre of excellence'.

Perhaps in different ways, each style of venture can inspire, after all why does the hobby support a wide range of model railway shows - they are not all Scaleforum, ExpoEm or Festivals of Modelling; I suspect, indeed suggest, that each creates its own type of inspiration for its visitors.

Would it be wrong to acknowledge the contribution toward the inspiration of others that any exhibition (permanent or temporary) creates, even though it might not accord with one's personal hopes that for instance:-

..............this doesn't turn out to be a British mini version of Miniatur Wunderland.............. (yourself Post 16)

and

.............this will be no Miniatur Wunderland. It will be a centre of excellence............... (sjp23480 post 17)

I recognise that the aim of the centre in Ashford is determined already and it is because of this that I have no desire to debate or speculate which is more 'correct' - as 'correctness' is subjective.

Any venture deserves success when it reaches the right audience; indeed the measurand of success could be the number of inspired visitors who go on to start, develop or completely rethink their approach to a new or existing railway modelling hobby.

It was my reading of the statements above that simply led me to wonder (Wunder?) which approach would result in the highest number of visitors leaving with such 'inspiration', to e.g. add a new scene to their layout or deciding to stretch their skills to achieve a higher level of fidelity to prototype.

One or other is no more or less correct, but BOTH are the reward for providing inspiration.

The (necessary) commercial success of the venture will be directly influenced by its ability to identify and evolve with its supporters, perhaps conceptually, Miniatur Wuinderland might well have started life as something different to what it is now.

If this was the case, then I'm certain that there will be those who feel let down, perhaps even betrayed, but I think I can also be certain that whatever (if any) changes, they will have provided inspiration in some form or another.

Kind Regards,

Andy

Edited by leopardml2341

Just reading the write up for this in the current Railway Modeller and the article talks about a target figure of £1m to buy the land and construct the building ...

I think you're quoting a typo, I think there needs to be a zero after the 1?

Well, having looked at the website this certainly looks a very impressive project. It is also somewhat more ambitious than the idea originally floated by Iain Rice and the late Martin Brent some years ago for a "Museum Of Model Railways".

One of the aims that will need clarification in due course to my mind is that "…several visiting layouts that will change every three months to constantly refresh the visitor experience."

I would be interested to hear:

[a] How are such layouts to be selected, by whom and by what criteria?

Who will operate them? (How many owners can take that amount of time off?)

[c] Who pays for transportation to Ashford?

[d] About insurance for visiting layouts

[e] If you put a layout on show in one place for three months, how many Exhibition Managers are going to want to invite it to a show when it's already been seen by x-thousand people in one go?

[f] What about the wear and tear on the layout? Having seen at first hand how the Bachmann layout at the NRM wore out (the rail was literally worn down in places) three months of constant (?) operation will take its toll on both layout and stock.

I'm not trying to be negative, I just wonder how these issues will be resolved.

Talking of negativity, I thought that the justification for the location was somewhat aggressive in its singling out of York as an alternative. Who suggested York anyway? If anything, I would have thought somewhere nearer the centre of the country would be more 'user-friendly'.

steve

Edited to get rid of irritating automatic conversions to bracketed letters.

Edited by steve1

Well, having looked at the website this certainly looks a very impressive project. It is also somewhat more ambitious than the idea originally floated by Iain Rice and the late Martin Brent some years ago for a "Museum Of Model Railways".

One of the aims that will need clarification in due course to my mind is that "…several visiting layouts that will change every three months to constantly refresh the visitor experience."

I would be interested to hear:

[a] How are such layouts to be selected, by whom and by what criteria?

A number of layouts have been offered to the originator of the project along with some extensive collections.

Who will operate them? (How many owners can take that amount of time off?)

Some will be adapted to basic automatic running with some 'Special Days' when full operation will take place. All the owners have been happy to train people when the need arrises. Not all the owners have trouble getting time off.

[c] Who pays for transportation to Ashford?

Most of the owners are fine with transporting themselves, for those that it is difficult, the centre will arrange transportation.

[d] About insurance for visiting layouts

Covered along with lots of other things that need to be insured.

[e] If you put a layout on show in one place for three months, how many Exhibition Managers are going to want to invite it to a show when it's already been seen by x-thousand people in one go?

Quality layouts are always wanted by exhibition managers up and down the country. Some of the layouts are currently on the exhibition circuit, maybe showing once or twice a year. The owners are pleased to be able to 'Park' their layout at the centre, thereby freeing up space at their homes to work on new projects. The owners of these fine layouts are really happy that their work can be seen by many people and not stored hidden away or worse broken up and sold. When a show booking comes up, they collect their layout, show it and bring it back. It may go back on show or to the storage factory until it due out for display again.

[f] What about the wear and tear on the layout? Having seen at first hand how the Bachmann layout at the NRM wore out (the rail was literally worn down in places) three months of constant (?) operation will take its toll on both layout and stock.

There will be a team working on maintenance.

I'm not trying to be negative, I just wonder how these issues will be resolved.

There are lots of issues, each of which has been or is being analysed and solutions sought. 

Talking of negativity, I thought that the justification for the location was somewhat aggressive in its singling out of York as an alternative. Who suggested York anyway? If anything, I would have thought somewhere nearer the centre of the country would be more 'user-friendly'.

York, pureley because of the full size railway museum. AIMREC is hoping to be the model version, preserving the work of some very talented modellers and hopefully encouraging new modellers to the hobby.

steve

Edited to get rid of irritating automatic conversions to bracketed letters.

Steve,

I have put my answers to your questions in red, which I thought would be easier.

Some have questioned why Ashford?

The location is on an old railway works site, it is literally right next door to a very large shopping centre which has 3.5 million visitors per year. They are planning to expand with a target of 7 million visitors, if we attract just 1 per cent of those visitors thats 70,000 visitors alone. There is tremendous local support to do something with the land, especially railway related due to the strong links with locals at the works, it was major employer in the area. The Ashford International railway station is just a few minutes walk away which also opens up the continent to bring in visitors and spending money to the area. AIMREC had a stand at a large model railway show a couple of weeks ago in the Netherlands, there was very strong interest in the project with many looking forward to visiting when up and going, making a long weekend trip combining visiting other railway attractions around Kent and farther afield. Another factor is a number of the originating team live near Ashford and own a factory nearby which will be a workshop to store, maintain and build new layouts.

AIMREC stands will be at Ally Pally, Nottingham, Trainwest and York over the next couple of months, please do pop by for a chat.

Martin

Edited by Greengiant
  • Like 2

Martin,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I do have one more question and that is what is the time frame for the project? There is no mention of it on the website.

Thanks

steve

Martin,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I do have one more question and that is what is the time frame for the project? There is no mention of it on the website.

Thanks

steve

Steve,

Looking about 18 months - 2 years, all depends how quickly the funds can be raised, the sooner they are in the sooner things can get started.

Having said that, lots of things are going on in the background so nothing should hold up the process.

Martin

HiMartin,

I wish you luck with this venture, but 1 thing worries me enormously.......funding

1m for the plot

Say .5m to make it secure with 24hr CCTV

£10m for a kitted out 'habitable' building fully conforming with all regs including a lift and ramps

And that's before staffing, layouts, exhibits, power, rates etc etc etc.

Maybe the lottery can help in this area? Otherwise I'm sorry, I can't imagine getting the finance will be easy.

All the best

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AIMREC will be at Railex 2014, Aylesbury 24-25 May, with their stand.

The trustees of AIMREC now consist of:

The Hon. Sir William McAlpine.BT

Philip Christensen

Roger Daltrey  CBE

Dr. Pete Waterman  OBE.DL

Jools Holland  OBE.DL

Plus the steering committee made up by the seven other trustees

Martin

Edited by Greengiant
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I noticed a digger started on site yesterday breaking the concrete ground and clearing the site.

Not sure if this is the ground breaking of the project or something else.

Cheers.

It is indeed clearing the site, we then have to get various survey reports done on the land condition, flood risk, trees and archeological reports to name but a few. All are in hand just takes time.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see Work has Started on this brilliant project. The concept is Spot on in My Opinion , and the location is great . Good luck with it & when you need volunteers please get in touch. I live a few hundred yards away :)

• RMweb Premium

Any chances of keeping some of those bent rail sections as a bit of sculpture to show the history of the site? Some of those shapes are more artistic than a lot of modern sculpture.

Tony