Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

AIMREC - Ashford International Model Railway Excellence Centre

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, I hope this initiative gets off the ground. I'll certainly visit the centre when it opens and couple that with a visit to Hornby's visitor centre at Margate.

I don't know what criteria will be for layouts to become part of AIMREC's permanent collection.

Layouts such as Frank Dyer's Borchester, resurrected a few years ago, and other popular layouts reported upon in the media over the years (if still surviving);

I'd include layouts illustrating some of the trends modelled over the years:

GWR branchline termini;

Shunting plank layouts;

Layouts using novel and unusual methods of construction;

Layouts built to a strict budget

And finally how the chosen representative layouts will be conserved for posterity.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see Roger Daltrey is actively involved with this project rather than just lending his name. He was at Ashford Borough Council offices today. See www.kentonline.co.uk for more (ashford section).

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see Roger Daltrey is actively involved with this project rather than just lending his name.

Yep very nice to see another big name using his fame for promoting model railways generally. Though I do hope they get time to do another Wilko album inbetween the modelling too, that first one is a cracker!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe if this all goes to plan we will see model railways being treeted as a proper hobby in this country an not just a load of men who never grew up playing with there train sets, in America they are treeted as model engineers and not just someone to make a joke of

I hope this project gets the respect it deserves and progress is good, I cant wait to be able to visit once it is open.

• 3 months later...

How is the project going folks ?

Moving along nicely, lots of official meetings and paperwork currently being worked through, alongside all of this is the dismantling and collection of some astonishing layouts.

Hopefully an exciting press release at the end of this month.

Martin

• Like 4

Thanks for the update Martin :-)great to hear things are progressing. If you need a hand at all don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you, we will be needing lots of help once things move on a stage.

We will have a stand at Warley this weekend, so come by and have a chat.

Martin

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've just come across this (while hunting for Gresley Beat!) and think it's a great idea - hope it makes progress. Is there any update since November?

Check out their facebook page, I think they have started ground clearance.

I contacted them a couple of months ago about the 7&1/4" line they are planning to have round the outer limit of the site and apparently they are planning to have their own coaching stock and use visiting locos for motive power, so I may be taking my Class 12 shunter to it's spiritual home once everything is up and running.

I've just come across this (while hunting for Gresley Beat!) and think it's a great idea - hope it makes progress. Is there any update since November?

Mike,

The site has been fully cleared now to allow the relevant inspections and surveys of the land to take place.

IMG_7094_zpsmjsyno62.jpg

IMG_7097_zpsi5ysq4e8.jpg

Currently we are at revised planning application stage having now to redesign the site to take in more car parking spaces at the request of the council, this has enabled an interesting approach to the building design, visuals of which I will upload once I receive them.

Alongside all this we are currently dismantling and moving a number of very large layouts which has given us some interesting problems to solve in their extraction.

The AIMREC stand will be at Ally Pally this weekend and York Easter weekend, so do pop by and have a chat with Cliff and the team.

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This have been a bit up in the air with AIMREC!

Latest situation with planning is we had to increase the number of car parking spaces available on the site, this has entailed moving the building on the plot and revising the building design. To help find the optimum position for the building Cliff took to the skies to find the best location for the viewing veranda. We have also devised a oneway car park system in partnership with the highways department.

SONY%20DSC_zpseeupu0rm.jpg

DSC04121_zpshmmbyvwc.jpg

Martin

• Like 4