The Buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank

Sweven

Thanks Peter, I really appreciate that. It would be great to see new housing developments being built with modern twists on the Victorian chimney! I have really enjoyed constructing these buildings - there is a lot of satisfaction in solving the problems of how to build each part. Not sure I could do it every day like you though - I hope you still find it really satisfying and enjoyable.

Cheers John

Here are some pictures of the signal box sporting its revised nameplate. The signal box was sited at the north end of the platform. It was a standard Midland style single panel 2A box but without a foot walk around the windows. The roof is removable to allow access to the interior - I still have to fit a light and the stove-pipe on the roof.

I tried to build the model in the same way as the real ones were constructed - out of pre-fabricated panels fitting between the corner posts. I even had a go at tapering the 9 inch corner posts towards their top (in real life they went down into the ground quite a way too).

post-20290-0-62188800-1394744653_thumb.jpg

post-20290-0-48540800-1394744662.jpg

post-20290-0-36592700-1394744670.jpg

post-20290-0-85481800-1394744679_thumb.jpg

Cheers

John

Having received both the Scalelink sheet with clock etchings and also the miniature doll's house clock I decided to go with the latter for the new station clock - the etchings on the Scalelink sheet are very nice but the dials are just too large for the clock on the station gable. Here is a first photograph of the station with its new timepiece - looks like it will be 3pm for evermore, although you can also get working doll's house clocks they were just too big!

post-20290-0-03714400-1395079965.jpg

And another similar view of the new clock. The frosted toilet windows are created by using fine grade wet emery paper on the back of the perspex. The posters and signs are printed on the colour printer and framed with microstrip. Pinheads for the doorknobs. I have started building a platform, more on that later. I believe there should be an L-shaped return wall at this near end to protect the Gentlemens' privacy when using the bathroom - however I haven't found any period photographs that illustrate this.

post-20290-0-97970600-1395211201.jpg

The original tiling of the station and goods shed roofs on the Evesham Loop is quite distinctive, using alternating bands of plain and fancy tiles. When new the different colours of these tiles was quite noticeable as in this photograph at Alcester of which I have shown a snippet here:

post-20290-0-69913200-1395351070.jpg

Over time they weathered as in these snippets from Salford Priors and by Paul Kray of Studley and Astwood Bank:

post-20290-0-46736600-1395351145.jpg  post-20290-0-95865500-1395351158.png

I sent a couple of photographs to Dreadnought Tiles to get their opinion and they were very helpful. Their best guess was that the tiles at Studley were probably a mix of Staffordshire Blue ornamental ‘Club’ pattern tiles and Dark Heather plain tiles.

• RMweb Premium

The clock in that second photograph is just a place-holder until I can think of a good way to model a tiny clock - perhaps Willard Wigan would have some tips. Has anyone got any tips for modelling a small clock-face other than just printing them out?

I often thought of trying to find a suitable small watch face, it could also be showing real time!

Keith

Thanks all for your feedback and endorsements.

Thanks freebs - I have enjoyed following Farnley Burton too, keep up the great work - hope all is OK after your Dremel incident.

Hi Keith - Before finding the doll's house clock I did a hunt around for small watches - I looked at childrens watches but thought that a Mickey Mouse clock face wasn't quite right! I did find bracelet or pendant watches that were small - but the dials were still about 20mm across - which didn't work for this situation but would be fine on a larger 4mm clock. I am sure that there must be some tiny ones out there somewhere!

Cheers John

I have two new developments occurring in parallel currently. The first is the platform for the station, which has a very gentle concave curve (15m radius according to Templot) and the second is the grounded coach body used as a store, that sat between the station building and the goods shed.

I have completed building the platform structure from 12mm square wood with a 6mm platform surface cut from a single sheet and have now started adding the brick facing and platform surface. I am very unsure of the colour to use for it as all photographs are black and white. I will take some photographs of progress and post these tomorrow.

From the partial photographs available I have chosen to believe that the grounded store was a Midland Diagram 529 25' brake van (at some point post war this was replaced with a prefabricated concrete hut). So in the interests of furthering my modelling skills I have started putting together the 51L brass kit (the only brass kits I have made previously  were bicycles!). Here is a quick snap of forming the tumblehome using a piece of bullnose skirting board as a former. Hopefully I can prepare all the parts ready for soldering together at the weekend.

post-20290-0-24422600-1395864370.jpg

Thanks Allan, I can't claim any great breakthrough in using a piece of skirting board to form the curve - it was a tip I saw in a Comet Models article. To make matters worse all the skirting in our house has this profile:

post-20290-0-30389800-1395870361.png

which really didn't seem right for the body sides. Luckily I did have a small offcut of simple bullnose skirting that I used once too edge my boy's layout.

Cheers

John

As I mentioned above, I have been bulding the platform. As it needed a gentle curve I decided to make it pretty solid and built a frame from 12mm x 12mm wood with a 6mm top (cut with the jigsaw).

The underside is shown in this first photograph.

post-20290-0-85350800-1395952833.jpg

The next two photographs try to illustrate the curve (and a furry friend who wanted to be in the photograph) and then after application of raw brick colours but before addition of "mortar". Those strange shapes along the left edge of the platform are where the station gardens should be.

post-20290-0-35843000-1395952930.jpg

post-20290-0-75892700-1395952943.jpg

The next photograph shows the application of the mortar - thick grey poster paint which I slap on and then wipe off pretty quickly with a piece of card. This platform edging is constructed with South Eastern Finecast brick and I have found that it is much easier to use this technique with their brick sheets (rather than the Slaters' sheets I used for the buildings) due to the deeper mortar courses.

post-20290-0-24512500-1395953195.jpg

I let it dry for a while (about the length of a cup of tea) and then wipe over with a damp cloth. It then looks like this.

post-20290-0-62768400-1395953099.jpg

Tomorrow I will think about some dry-brushing and weathering. The platform surface is still a work in progress - it needs a fine sand and then I need to work out what colour it should be.

As usual the weekend disappeared in a haze of chores and running around, but I did manage a bit of time to solder up the grounded body kit. I found that tinning the parts and joining the body corners together was much easier than I had feared. However adding the duckets was challenging - the instructions were very sparse but I understood them to suggest building the duckets before adding them to the body - in hindsight I am not sure this was the best approach.

I have formed the roof (the kitchen rolling pin was just the right diameter) and it is just plonked on top for this photograph. The lamp irons are yet to be bent to shape.

post-20290-0-19732700-1396207256.jpg

And another similar view of the new clock. The frosted toilet windows are created by using fine grade wet emery paper on the back of the perspex. The posters and signs are printed on the colour printer and framed with microstrip. Pinheads for the doorknobs. I have started building a platform, more on that later. I believe there should be an L-shaped return wall at this near end to protect the Gentlemens' privacy when using the bathroom - however I haven't found any period photographs that illustrate this.

attachicon.gifNewClock3.jpg

Where exactly did you buy the clock from been looking for something like it for my church?

Hi Duncan, Thank you very much for those photographs, they are fascinating and will be incredibly helpful - the place really was run down at that point in time. I am amazed at the growth over the goods shed - and I see from the 3rd goods shed photograph that my guess about the goods shed roof tiles was not right.

I think from Bob Essery's book that there may have originally been two grounded van bodies at the site - the one you have photographed up to the north side of the weighbridge and used as a mess and another one between the station waiting room and the goods shed used as a parcels lock-up (which is the one I am constructing at the moment). I think this second one was replaced with the concrete structure visible beyond the main station building in your photograph above.

That photograph of the main building has lots of useful detail - particularly showing the small yard or enclosed space (?) on the extension to The Slough (A448) end of the station master's house with a window in the end. I wondered what was there.

Thanks again, John

Work has been continuing slowly on the grounded van body, mainly making and fitting handrails (there are lots of those). While waiting for paint to dry my mind turned to thinking about the station gardens, which were once quite magnificent (you wouldn't believe it from Blandford1969's photographs above though). So I spent an hour mucking around with cutting polystyrene balls from a beanbag in half and adding grenery to try and make the hanging baskets. Here is my first attempt - I need to straighten the hanging 'chains' on the left basket - they are each two strands of multicore wire twisted together.

The lamps are from DCC Concepts - my well thumbed version of George Dow's Midland Style provided a good backdrop to one of the photographs!

post-20290-0-64835700-1396811938_thumb.jpg

post-20290-0-25385800-1396811928_thumb.jpg

Because you had popped a like on our thread. I followed your profile and checked out your thread. Boy I am glad I did.

Your station is gorgeous. Really like your work. Am now a follower. And I see a certain person really liked your first picture because he did the same thing.

Thanks very much Jaz, I have been following your thread for some time and really enjoying Kal's and your modelling and the videos. Your recent series of dogs are amazing - having just fiddled about experimenting with those tiny flower baskets I am in awe of how you managed to not only make dogs, but make recognisable breeds!

About five years ago we visited the UK and met the cousins for a few days in Goathland - staying in a cottage on Cow Wath Bank overlooking the NYM railway (who just happened to have their summer gala) - so many aspects of your layout are familiar to me. Keep up the great work.

Yes I was very honoured to have such an illustrious visitor!

Cheers, John

Archived