The Buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank

Sweven

I'm just building a small Coal office building at the moment and have reached the stage of downpipes - lots of fun, except I've run out of my usual rod :(

looking forward to seeing yours!

While Sweven's timberwork looks believable, mine looks what it is - contrived and a paper doily stuck to a sheet of cardboard.

Roll in the wheely bin missus !

Cheers.

Allan

And then we all spend ages drooling over those results. Am impressed over the new moulding technique you have started, and with your usual panache it looks fantastic.

Yes I considered a variety of methods for the infill and discounted some as they would necessitate a drive to the edge of town and others because of the smell. I settled on experimenting with 3 techniques:

• Air-drying clay - I had some left over from a previous project and hoped I could just press it into the spaces between the timbers. This proved to be very easy but it shrunk too much when drying;
  • Pre-mixed filler - this was also relatively easy to get into most of the panel spaces but also shrunk and was hard to achieve a smooth (ish) finish;
  • Plaster of Paris mixed to a runny consistency with some PVA added for strength. This was very difficult to get into the spaces between timbers but provided the best finish. In the first batch I added a drop or two of washing up liquid - but that just created bubbles! So in later batches I just added the PVA. I still had to top up some areas, but overall the result was reasonable.

The photographs below illustrate these experiments.

Here is the first plaster attempt with added washing up liquid causing bubbles!

attachicon.gifPlasterExperimentBubbles.jpg

The middle panel used the pre-mixed filler and you can see how it shrunk. The other panels used plaster of paris with added PVA. The rectangle is the air drying clay that has shrunk and fallen out of its panel.

attachicon.gifPlasterExperiments.jpg

Once it has dry and shrunk could you not then fill the new gaps with a PVA mix?

Hi Jaz,

Great that you are online again.

"Once it has dry and shrunk could you not then fill the new gaps with a PVA mix?"

Yes that is what I had to do in the end - not perfect but all a good learning experience.

Cheers John

I did manage to get somewhere with the gutters and down pipes last night. The prototype has triangular section gutters made from wooded planks and a mix of cast iron and wooden down pipes. As you can also see in this photograph the rear roof tiles are quite blackened compared to the front roof tiles, so some heavy weathering will be in order next.

post-20290-0-00468800-1403128219.jpg

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Arden's_Farm#mediaviewer/File:Mary_Arden%27s_House_(rear_view)_-Wilmcote.jpg)

I made V shaped brackets for the gutters from off cuts of brass strip and used araldite to fix them in place. I expect I will have to add some dummy ones later too as the building has many more brackets than I have made. 

post-20290-0-92388100-1403128238_thumb.jpg

Later in the evening I put the guttering made from plastic strip in place. There is still some touch up painting to do, especially on the brackets.

post-20290-0-86618700-1403128266.jpg

While the glue was drying I used some stiff wire to make the down-pipes that are at one end of the building.

post-20290-0-02525400-1403128345.jpg

1:1 scale activities have been keeping me busy, but as withdrawal symptoms from cutting out tiles set in, I decided to get on with cutting out crazy-paving over the last couple of evenings. I built the Tudor house with additional depth at the bottom of the walls to allow for sloping ground and I have now built up the ground with polystyrene in preparation for the paving and gardens.

post-20290-0-47320400-1403649640.jpg

I have just found this topic. Looks fab work.

I am on a mark 2 of my OO scale studley & Astwood bank. I have loads of pictures taken over the last 15years. With the kind permission of the currant owners. So if you have any question I may be able to help.

I pass the station on my way to work . Are you modelling the cattle dock.

Steve

I have just found this topic. Looks fab work.

I am on a mark 2 of my OO scale studley & Astwood bank. I have loads of pictures taken over the last 15years. With the kind permission of the currant owners. So if you have any question I may be able to help.

I pass the station on my way to work . Are you modelling the cattle dock.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you! Yes I was intending to model the cattle dock in the next couple of months - would love to see any photographs you have of it as I have only ever seen ones of the area once it had been demolished.

I found most of my recent pictures of the station building when it was put on the market last year - finally including a front on shot too. How advanced is your current build? Would love to see some photographs.

Cheers

John

Progress this weekend has been on the gardens around the Tudor farm house. I have recycled some stone walling from one of my boy's old shunting layouts and the flowers are a wide mix of scenic products - as used for the station gardens.

The weather is decidedly wintry here now so I haven't managed many photographs yet.

post-20290-0-86220600-1404026754.jpg

post-20290-0-59348500-1404026804.jpg

Thanks Allan,

Here is another walk up the garden path....

post-20290-0-61411400-1404070021.jpg

The building is almost complete. I think there are just some chimney pots (half round terracotta pipe on its side I think), door hardware, roof weathering and further detailing of pegs on the woodwork to add.

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you! Yes I was intending to model the cattle dock in the next couple of months - would love to see any photographs you have of it as I have only ever seen ones of the area once it had been demolished.

I found most of my recent pictures of the station building when it was put on the market last year - finally including a front on shot too. How advanced is your current build? Would love to see some photographs.

Cheers

John

Hi john,

I have many pictures of the station site. Taken by myself & others. The station building is now sold ( subject to contract) so I hope the new owners will be as helpfully. The goofs shed and the land north in the station yard is owned by a builder, so we might loose the shed at some point in the future.

I am not as advanced as you are, i do struggle to find the time. I have add a few picture's once I can make there file size small enough to up load.

The cattle dock base is part made for use on my original layout (which I puchaced not built myself. ) I used measurement I had taken from a well over grown original. I will look them out if you like.

Hi Steve

It would be a real shame if the Goods Shed was lost - hopefully it could at least be incorporated into a dwelling.

Any photographs or information you have about the cattle dock (or the rest of the site) would be most useful. I have always assumed that the dock is much like the MR one at Redditch as in this photograph on the Warwickshire Railways website and follows standard MR practice.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrred414.htm

Cheers

John

Hi Steve

It would be a real shame if the Goods Shed was lost - hopefully it could at least be incorporated into a dwelling.

Any photographs or information you have about the cattle dock (or the rest of the site) would be most useful. I have always assumed that the dock is much like the MR one at Redditch as in this photograph on the Warwickshire Railways website and follows standard MR practice.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrred414.htm

Cheers

John

Hi john,

Here are a few picture's. I was looking though my folder on my computer, there must be 3 to 400 pictures!! I will look for some picture's & measurement of the cattle dock later, when I get home.post-23245-0-13188100-1404135479_thumb.jpgpost-23245-0-61195500-1404135533_thumb.jpgpost-23245-0-45998200-1404135582_thumb.jpg

post-23245-0-55267900-1404135621_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

Thanks for those photographs. Your station building is looking great! I expect your proportions will be more accurate than mine as I had to guess at quite a few measurements. All seems so familiar.

Interesting to see the whole yard has now been cleared. I'm guessing the car is parked on the weighbridge site - the photograph confirms that there were a few cobbles/setts in that area which I had been wondering about.

Cheers,

John

Here is another photograph of the detail on the front of the Tudor house. It was this horizontal timber on the prototype with its cracks and irregularities that lead me to using real wood to try and capture that look on the model. 

post-20290-0-51019400-1404158330_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

Thanks for those photographs. Your station building is looking great! I expect your proportions will be more accurate than mine as I had to guess at quite a few measurements. All seems so familiar.

Interesting to see the whole yard has now been cleared. I'm guessing the car is parked on the weighbridge site - the photograph confirms that there were a few cobbles/setts in that area which I had been wondering about.

Cheers,

John

Hi john,

The yard is overgrown again. The weight bridge I have paced out to 8.30 metre's (324 inches) long & 2.87 metre's (112 inches ) wide plus the 2 lots of cobbles/ setts ( Engineers blue brick)

I will dig out the cattle dock and post a couple of pictures.

Steve

Thanks Allan,

Here is another walk up the garden path....

attachicon.gifUpTheGardenPath.jpg

The building is almost complete. I think there are just some chimney pots (half round terracotta pipe on its side I think), door hardware, roof weathering and further detailing of pegs on the woodwork to add.

My goodly wife is my best citic and will not tand for any crap and the excuses that acompany it and her latest comment after seing your garden Sweven was "Now why can't you model gardens like that ?!"

Cheers.

Allan

My goodly wife is my best citic and will not tand for any crap and the excuses that acompany it and her latest comment after seing your garden Sweven was "Now why can't you model gardens like that ?!"

Cheers.

Allan

Thanks Allan, wasn't sure what emoticon to hit for that comment! My wife thinks this is my best work - I think she has plans for me to get out into the garden this weekend and recreate it all there!

Cheers

John

Hi john,

The yard is overgrown again. The weight bridge I have paced out to 8.30 metre's (324 inches) long & 2.87 metre's (112 inches ) wide plus the 2 lots of cobbles/ setts ( Engineers blue brick)

I will dig out the cattle dock and post a couple of pictures.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, I guess that land in the yard is ripe for development. Is there demand for more housing in the area - do you think it will be built over?

Those weighbridge measurements will be useful. I am ready to add the weighbridge office building and bridge to the baseboards next.

Cheers

John

Archived