The Buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank

Sweven

At this point I couldn't resist plonking some of the buildings and a bit of track down to see what it might begin to look like.

Still quite a bit to do to finish the fencing and also the outhouse at this end of the station - just waiting on those plastic supplies to arrive.

attachicon.gifbaseboard3.jpg

When the goods shed is sited properly I can see I will have to fill the gap between it and the platform since the platform has a slight (deliberate) curve.

attachicon.gifbaseboard4.jpg

The station is in a shallow cutting, although I am not sure the line of the hill on this near (eastern) side should be quite so undulating - I just got a bit carried away with the jigsaw.

attachicon.gifbaseboard6.jpg

It is likely that one curve would not have been enough, and once you get into joining the scenery it will be fine.....Ground is rarely flat

Thanks C&WR, I really enjoyed building the crane. I found that using thin styrene sheet and some sharp dividers I could cut out the hoops to make the large wheel quite easily and once I had done that the rest seemed quite easy. Not sure how I would have done any of it in the days before the Internet, if you hunt for long enough there are photographs of everything out there! I'll have to remember tea bag strings - the cotton I used for the rope is too hairy.

Plastic supplies had made it across the world when I got home from work last night and I couldn't resist building a little more of the fence - starting with the one the gives the gents a little more privacy when accessing the bathroom from the platform. I think I have mentioned before that I don't have a photograph of this area so I have based it on the arrangement at Salford Priors which I believe is very similar.

post-20290-0-51439200-1399417873.jpg

post-20290-0-99307800-1399417876.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Plastic supplies had made it across the world when I got home from work last night and I couldn't resist building a little more of the fence - starting with the one the gives the gents a little more privacy when accessing the bathroom from the platform.

Bathroom? I can't imagine anybody ever calling a platform urinal that!

How the miles divides the English language. :jester:

Keith

As I said on my thread the teabag string was ideal in terms of thickness.  It could only be bettered by the old waxy cobblers' thread which used to lurk in my grandmother's sewing basket.

I do have access to an embarrassment of reference material in my father's library of books.  Only thing is I was in a rush to make the crane & didn't wait to refer to them.  Still, it gives an acceptable impression...

Hi C&WR, yes I thought your crane was excellent and from what I could tell when researching they were not particularly standardized. I also liked your goods office interior a lot - I have added a little detail to mine but I need to work on your technique of producing newspapers and ledgers etc.

post-20290-0-30401600-1399502303.jpg

The newspapers are from the Scalescenes Furniture & Lineside Junk set, Sweven.  There is also a platform structures set which includes newspapers.  The ledgers are a piece of cake.  Just fold a couple of bits of plain paper & wrap some wrapping paper around them!

Thant chair in yours is giving me ideas.  I'd need to find a building for one to go in, unless a railway worker has dragged one outside his office somewhere about the railway though!

The workshop has continued building new gates. This time it is the gates for the station approach.

Construction is a classic 5 bar field gate with the stiles (verticals) and beam (top rail) made from 1.5mm by 1mm strip and the other rails and the braces from 0.5mm by 1mm strip.

post-20290-0-97174300-1399618732.jpg

Here is the official photograph in works grey:

post-20290-0-94392200-1399618735.jpg

The card table has some other uses... this is a photograph I took a while ago. I am currently building the ground level up around the site for the goods shed and can then photograph it in situ. I still need to fix the problem of the missing lintels over the goods office window and door - I made them and then forgot to put them in when assembling the wall.

post-20290-0-79741400-1399835919_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much Freebs and Allan.

I really enjoyed building the goods shed, it was a lot easier than the station building (and I had learned from a few mistakes) but I think I got a bit excited by the time I got to the office portion and wanted to see it finished! Goods sheds are definitely fun, I can see lots of photo opportunities and it will be fun finding freight items to stack inside.

Cheers

John

Couldn't resist another interior photograph that I didn't add previously (I must get in there and paint those rafters and get the porter to sweep the floor):

post-20290-0-45960800-1399922300.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi John.

Having spotted your link in a post I'm very glad I checked it out. Top modeling indeed mate, there's also a lot of interesting content.  Will be following with great interest from now on.

Regards Shaun. 

Hi Shaun,

Thanks, Jaz put me onto your layout thread and I have really enjoyed reading it and think the scenery and atmosphere is superb. Your mill is looking fantastic (it it quite a feat even getting it outside to photograph!), looking forward to the night shots.

Cheers John

I tracked down that porter and got him to sweep out the goods shed and to slap some paint around the rafters. He does seem to be losing control of that broom though...

post-20290-0-14511600-1400439890_thumb.jpg

Once he had finished there he then had to go and hang the gates on the station approach and finish some fencing. I expect it will be time for a cup of tea next.

post-20290-0-87772100-1400440022.jpg

that's a really nice model and well painted....is it one of Monty's?

Yes it is, one of my favourites - they are fantastic castings. I have a few more painted and ready to add to the station platform soon.

• 2 weeks later...

About a week ago, before going away, I decided to use up some wallpaper paste and newspaper to build up the embankment. All I can say is that I am glad I was away for a few days - because it took that long to dry! I think I will stick with using polystyrene blocks in future. Getting there now, will add some grass tomorrow.

post-20290-0-90203700-1401696516_thumb.jpg

Back at the start of May Allan Downes suggested a Tudor Building exercise over here and while I have no delusions of matching Allan's magnificent buildings it seemed like a good excuse to build something a little different.

I couldn't find many timber framed buildings in Studley or Astwood Bank, although there are some really nice ones just down the road in Alcester. However these are urban and like Allan's superb buildings tend to come in long rows - and I just wouldn't have room on the (eventual) layout for those. However by travelling another couple of miles east you get to the village of Wilmcote which is home to Mary Arden's house and Palmer's Farm. Mary Arden was Shakespeare's mother and the farmhouse was in use until purchased by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust in the 1930s. This farmhouse was thought to be Mary Arden's home until quite recently when timber dating showed that she actually owned the house next door (fortunately also owned by the Trust). So the farmhouse is now known as Palmer's Farm. It had everything I wanted for a model - a farmhouse with many photographs showing the prototype, with classic half-timbering and a mix of different materials including some brick infill and some stonework. So I have set out to build it - with the self imposed rule that I will just use what I have to hand and not buy any materials or parts for it.

Here are links to a couple of the many prototype photographs:

Mary_Ardens_House_-Wilmcote3.jpg

640px-Mary_Arden%27s_House_%28rear_view%

As there is a full frontal view I decided to use this as a template and printed it off to 4mm scale as my starting point. Cutting out the basic card former for the building was quick and easy - I used some thick black mounting card that one of the boys had used for a school presentation at some point in the past.

post-20290-0-00692400-1401698374.jpg

I have then been cutting up lolly sticks and whittling them away to build up the timber frame. This has taken a frightening long time (many days) and about half way through I was thinking that it might have been easier to draw the building and cut the timber out from black card. But I do like the texture that the 'real' wood in the lolly sticks brings to the timber frame.

post-20290-0-33631800-1401698452.jpg

more to come...

Archived