Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Replacement adapter for roco multimause

brittannia

Rather than using a razor adaptor a proper plug can be fitted to continental 2 pin plugs, indeed you might find a few household appliances so arranged

http://www.applegate.co.uk/b2b-products-services/d4abbd9a2e325b46e043e064a8c02f26.html

Not when the 2 pins in question are moulded onto the adapter (rather than a free plug) as they were in the case in question.

Andrew

Rather than using a razor adaptor a proper plug can be fitted to continental 2 pin plugs, indeed you might find a few household appliances so arranged

http://www.applegate.co.uk/b2b-products-services/d4abbd9a2e325b46e043e064a8c02f26.html

Thank you for your recommendations gentlemen which I have tried but with the same result. There is still too much mechanical loading on the prongs. The absolute perfect answer to my problem would be to acquire a genuine Roco UK transformer which my colleague Tappa has. That's one with a moulded three pin plug top on it but it seems that certainly since we started using the Multimaus system, the whole world has followed our example and the prices asked from our source, E-Bay, have rocketed.

I noted other RMWebers recommendations as to a drop in voltage not being detrimental, and sought out a 16volt output transformer as opposed to an 18volt one.This set-up seems to be working OK and so as to not leave myself with a dead layout in the middle of an exhibition, I will be taking the original transformer as back-up.  If the new one performs satisfactory, I shall be buying another 16volt example. As an aside, after two exhibitions on the continent, I have realised that the two pin plug is still no advantage to me as my other equipment is still three pin!     

"I noted other RMWebers recommendations as to a drop in voltage not being detrimental, and sought out a 16volt output transformer as opposed to an 18volt one."

AS I HAVE TRIED TO STATE REPEATEDLY:   16V ac TRANSFORMER  or 18V DC Switched Mode Power Supply are the recommendations.;  Certainly not an '18V transformer !!

PLEASE can people STOP CONFUSING 'transformers' which are ac input and output devices for changing voltage/current, and Switched Mode Power Supplies with a Regulated DC Output !!

(AND PERSONALLY - because of the lack of voltage regulation, I would Not personally recommend the 16Vac transformer - especially in the UK where we are on the high side of the 230Vac input.)

BTW - My Roco 18V SMPS with inbuilt 2-pin plug fits quite happily into one of the '13Amp' square pin plugs designed for flat 2-pin continental sockets.

Using a 16V DC regulated supply, instead of 18V DC regulated supply is mostly perfectly okay and within the acceptable range  .... there are tolerances designed into everything ... and remember that the '16Vac' written on a transformer (unregulated output voltage) would vary between about 22+Vac at minimum current (nothing moving) and 16Vac with the maximum number of trains moving (>3A).

You MIGHT find - if you are a Roco Digital Point  User: that at 16V dc input ( and certainly below that input voltage ) the Digital Points Fail to Program to new addresses ... I have found this during testing.  (Solved, if you buy the switchable-voltage Laptop Power Supplies, by simply changing the voltage to 18Vdc when programming them 8-) .. reverting to your preferred lower voltage at other times )

IF you find you want 'still lower' TRACK voltages, then rather than dropping the input voltage to eg 14V or less, it may be better to use pairs of back-to-back diodes on the output side to lower track voltage in the DCC domain.   You will need pairs of fast Switching 4A diodes. 

Thank you for your recommendations gentlemen which I have tried but with the same result. There is still too much mechanical loading on the prongs.

Having trouble undertstanding the issue, both of my Multimaus transformers have such a 2 pin to 3 pin plugs on them and I have never had any trouble with them, also walking around the house I spotted the same on an internet radio and one on a direct plug in 2 pin transformer on a wireless headphone base.

Archived