Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

The basic platform structure is complete, with the cosmetics still to add, I am quite pleased with the length of platform I have managed to fit in. In order to provide a scenic break, I am going to build part of the parcel conveyor that was at Temple Meads until Christmas 2014. Although not the most asethetically  pleasing of structures it will form be very effective at hiding the exit for 2 of the 3 tracks.

post-7400-0-19834800-1425797336_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Rob,

The top section is looks good, I remember the parcel conveyor at Temple Meads spent many hours spotting their.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, it was one of your photos of a class 31 and a split box 45 underneath it that helped persuade me to model the conveyor rather than the more attractive southern end of the station. 

Thanks Peter, it was one of your photos of a class 31 and a split box 45 underneath it that helped persuade me to model the conveyor rather than the more attractive southern end of the station. 

Hi Rob,

Not sure thats my pic I didn't manage to get any pics of split box peaks. I have a pics of a class 31s though.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Rob,

Not sure thats my pic I didn't manage to get any pics of split box peaks. I have a pics of a class 31s though.

Cheers Peter. 

Sorry Peter, you are dead right, this was the photo I had in mind:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82110268@N06/8579866140/in/photostream

31135 would make a good future project with its unique class 47 style yellow end

Looking good,

IS that the blue corridor thingy ?

I'd thought it would make a good scenic break as well, like the one at Leeds.

Hi Rob,

Yes it is, as per the photo in the link above. I noted earlier that the cladding bears a striking resemblance to the Peco LK80 Manyways engine shed that was so popular many moons ago. I had some spare bits from one I used to make a low relief warehouse so cracked on with cladding the top of it tonight, just need to fill the edges but I am pleased how it has turned out. The support pier was made of brick and cladding and is a little narrower than the prototype but a necessity due to my narrower platforms.

post-7400-0-46289000-1425938747_thumb.jpg

The coach makes the conveyor look like it is higher in the air than it is in reality, I will also paint the area of the backscene underneath the conveyor black rather than sky colour

Edited by 37114
  • Like 5

A while since the last update but I have been cracking on with the scenery for the upper level. It dawned on me when I was chatting to Mike Walker who organises the Cheltenham show on Saturday that there are only 3 weekends between now and the show - Eeek! 

Although the upper level won't be operational at the show I at least want it presentable so have been busy on the parcel conveyor. I decided after my last post that it was too tall so chopped 15mm of the bottom of the pier. The piers were part brick/part cladding so I have replicated this using the Peco cladding and Wills brick. The pictures I found showed an access door on the end so I used a spare door from the engine shed kit which fits well. I still need to add in the canopy over the platform but so far so good and I have just a few details and the weathering to do. I have also added some black card around the fiddle yard exit to hide that from view.

First off a couple of photos of 31210 and 37240 on the upper level. 31210 was a Bath Road allocated class 31 and would have seen plenty of use in and around Temple Meads working empty coaching stock up from Malago Vale

post-7400-0-17076100-1426629053_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-89755000-1426629077_thumb.jpg

03382 is busy in the yard below. The conflat is going to get a rather unusual but prototypical load when finished...

post-7400-0-15003600-1426629068_thumb.jpg

I have also worked out that the best stock for the back road in terms of filling the length is the 08 with 2 x BG's and 2 x TPO vans:

post-7400-0-66329900-1426629119_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

No sooner do they finally demolish the eye-sore that the real conveyor was, than it reappears in model form!

Seriously, looking great Rob, and the thought that Cheltenham is only 3 weekends away is as exciting for me as it probably is terrifying for you.

No sooner do they finally demolish the eye-sore that the real conveyor was, than it reappears in model form!

Seriously, looking great Rob, and the thought that Cheltenham is only 3 weekends away is as exciting for me as it probably is terrifying for you.

Ha Ha, I think I will have to build a scale model of Northampton's Greyfriars bus station for my collections of diecast buses next! I was probably one of the few people who appreciated the brutalist architecture, every other person I met in Northampton hated it.

Looking really good Rob,

The top section has really come together well, and the TPOs look nice sat along the back.

How about a smoke unit for the class 31. I have attached a few pics that I thought you might like. Any chance we might see a class 33, always remember seeing plenty at Temple Meads.

Re my pic of 31135 it wasn't until years after taking the pic that I noticed the yellow wrapped round past the side windows, I think it was the only one.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-58797700-1426680269_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-13647700-1426680302_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-36541100-1426680353_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Looking really good Rob,

The top section has really come together well, and the TPOs look nice sat along the back.

How about a smoke unit for the class 31. I have attached a few pics that I thought you might like. Any chance we might see a class 33, always remember seeing plenty at Temple Meads.

Re my pic of 31135 it wasn't until years after taking the pic that I noticed the yellow wrapped round past the side windows, I think it was the only one.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks Peter, a lovely set of photos so thanks for sharing. 

I will struggle for a smoke unit in the class 31, although it is a Lima shell it sits on a new Hornby chassis and there is literally no room inside the shell! 

Re the class 33, possibly one day, they were never a favourite class of mine and the issues with the Heljan 33 body have put me off, I know they have corrected some of the faults but even the new version needs work. I have the small matter of some class 25's to finish first, there is an outside chance I will have one finished for Cheltenham

I spent the evening cleaning stock and track in readiness for Cheltenham tonight a rather laborious job. I also needed to reorganise the stock trays as some of the Pallet Lane wagon fleet is not required for Peafore Yard. While the stock was out I couldn't resist a few photos of my 2 favourite locos:

post-7400-0-93601000-1426715987_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-22579800-1426715996_thumb.jpgpost-7400-0-47157400-1426716003_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks Peter, a lovely set of photos so thanks for sharing. 

I will struggle for a smoke unit in the class 31, although it is a Lima shell it sits on a new Hornby chassis and there is literally no room inside the shell! 

Re the class 33, possibly one day, they were never a favourite class of mine and the issues with the Heljan 33 body have put me off, I know they have corrected some of the faults but even the new version needs work. I have the small matter of some class 25's to finish first, there is an outside chance I will have one finished for Cheltenham

Not a fan of class 33s  :O

Your class 25s were looking good be nice to see one finished. 

Agree about the smoke units, to be honest I have never seen one that looked realistic.

Cheers Peter.

Not a fan of class 33s  :O

Your class 25s were looking good be nice to see one finished. 

Ha ha, while they are not a favourite, I don't dislike them. I would choose a 33 over anything post 1990 any day of the week. The time I lived in Southampton coincided with Mainline freight who has a penchant for class 37's so even in their heartland I missed out on the charms of the 33's.

Give me a few weeks I will finished off at least one class 25, a solution for the glazing is proving problematic coupled with the need to finish the layout has put them on the backburner.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As the final weeks tick by before Cheltenham I have been trying to get the top level more presentable. The conveyor is finished and Dave helped out with a bit of weathering earlier in the week. I have added the 3 BRUTE's that had been lying around the garage for ages, as well as a couple of train spotters. I had some of the stock out for cleaning the wheels so took a few photos:

One of the photos that provided the inspiration for the layout was this one:

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:Avon_Street14.jpg

And my attempt to pose a similar shot albeit with 03121 rather than 03382:

post-7400-0-10447900-1427492677_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile "upstairs" 47105 passes by on the road to Bath Road.

post-7400-0-72358600-1427492807_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-68645400-1427492839_thumb.jpg

As a western region regular it is probably not a new loco for these 2 spotters. At least it wasn't one of the 7 47555's that pop up everywhere.

post-7400-0-91457700-1427492922_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Loving the layout, would love to see it at some point it looks great.

Here's my 47104, maybe we should start a WR fleet

post-450-0-70167300-1427548102.jpg

A minor suggestion, if any, the parcels bridge may have looked better if it went to a very low relief impression of a building the other side - it kinda goes into the hills at present ?

Anyway, keep up the good work

• Like 3

A minor suggestion, if any, the parcels bridge may have looked better if it went to a very low relief impression of a building the other side - it kinda goes into the hills at present ?

I was thinking along the same lines Rob to be honest, I hope to change the backscene near the conveyor to add part of the post office building, my biggest problem is finding a good picture of it, most of the clear ones have been taken after it has closed and been heavily vandalised so some photos shop work maybe required. 

• Like 1