Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

I have seen this done and can be quite effective. Of course fully protects the layout when stored or transported. The "top" lid can also be used to support the info board, tucked back at an angle and secured to the supporting legs. I think that this how Eldavo has done this on Cramdin Yard (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1207-cramdin-yard/)

Thanks for the link Richard, it is very effective, I wish I had done something similar for Pallet Lane. The top cover for Peafore Yard is going to be fixed in place as due to the height of the board off the ground and the fact the layout is front operated means I don't need to to get at it from above.

Well done ! Especially for persevering with the ratio fence , I didn't find it a relaxing modelling experience !

Totally agree, I needed to remind myself it is supposed to be fun when I was burning my fingers soldering up the signal gantry last night!

• Friendly/supportive 1

As alluded to earlier I have been burning my fingers soldering up some Brass to make the signal gantry. Kevin (Rivercider) kindly posted earlier some pictures of the Bristol East gantry which makes a perfect scenic break and handily will be located roughly where the real gantry would have been. For durability I decided to make the basic framework out of some Brass square section that had been at the bottom of the materials box for the last 15 years.

I made the end A frame first, the first picture shows the frame with a picture of the real gantry on the tablet in the background. The dimensions were guestimated from the photos, I am not great at drawing plans! Having made the end I then needed to work out how wide to make the cross pieces. To do this I unscrewed the end of the layout which needs a touch up of paint anyway. It also gave the opportunity to take some photos shot in the other direction.

I have made 2 vertical legs for the backscene end of the gantry, this will be painted black to blend in with the backscene, I will probably modify the picture on the backscene to incorporate the other half of the gantry, I have not fathomed it out yet.

The cross pieces were then soldered in with Low Melt solder to stop the whole ensemble falling apart. I have also ordered today the signal heads from CR Signals to mount on the gantry, hopefully I can fit these over the Xmas period.

Other work has included starting work on the point for the upper level and blocking out the back of the arches so daylight can't be seen behind.

post-7400-0-67672300-1418075236_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-09890000-1418075406_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-47703300-1418075423_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-58573500-1418075658_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-76911200-1418075679_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-80720200-1418075690_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-58077600-1418075714_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-62383500-1418075736_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

The more I look at the layout the more little details jump out at me, really enjoying the build.

Oh do you have the contact number for the scrap yard? That poor Series one keeps tugging at the heart strings and needs saving ;)

Matt

• Like 2

Terrific layout Rob - looks very Bristolian 1970s, I especially like Bath roads finest, 03 121/382.

Those were the days.

Neil

Quite so - I'd swear I walked or drove down there looking for a scapyard or builders merchant (big Magnet & Southern place around there somewhere? Vauxhall parts place too? Memory a bit faded...) or just to satisfy my curiosity. I remember some cobbled streets all shiny with rainwater and that same shiny black greasiness you found in the yards themselves - the yards all along the Bath Road as it curved around and away from the road up to Brislington? Seem to recall a pub at the far end...itself a rather forboding place. Walking? Sure why not. Left my bike for a service at Fowlers (well, I knew his kid...) and took a wander across (under) the road for a bit...

Wonderful...both memory and model, which are blurring together a bit, so all credit to you!

Best,

Marcus

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Quite so - I'd swear I walked or drove down there looking for a scapyard or builders merchant (big Magnet & Southern place around there somewhere? Vauxhall parts place too? Memory a bit faded...) or just to satisfy my curiosity. I remember some cobbled streets all shiny with rainwater and that same shiny black greasiness you found in the yards themselves - the yards all along the Bath Road as it curved around and away from the road up to Brislington? Seem to recall a pub at the far end...itself a rather forboding place. Walking? Sure why not. Left my bike for a service at Fowlers (well, I knew his kid...) and took a wander across (under) the road for a bit...

Wonderful...both memory and model, which are blurring together a bit, so all credit to you!

Best,

Marcus

Great post Marcus, thanks for the comments. I remember being dragged into that Vauxhall dealer at the tender age of 7 for my Dad to look around the new Cavalier SRi he was getting as a company car, the area has changed so much since

• Like 1

Hi Rob

this is developing nicely. Just need the "Redscaff Bedford HA van" near the crossing and it will be picture perfect  :) 

Regards, Chris

Don't worry It is in the pipeline Chris, it should just fit!

• Like 1

Great post Marcus, thanks for the comments. I remember being dragged into that Vauxhall dealer at the tender age of 7 for my Dad to look around the new Cavalier SRi he was getting as a company car, the area has changed so much since

Mine was a white SRi - H875HLB!

• Like 2

My signal heads turned up today from CR signals so have been spurred onto some more action on the signal gantry. The CR heads are fantastic pieces of work, I have got a standard 3 aspect head and a 3 aspect with junction feather, as per the ones in Kevin's (Rivercider) pictures on page 7 and 8. I haven't plucked up the courage to read the instructions yet but I will definitely be attempting to get them fully working. I have made the walkways for the gantry and started on the cross members on the top of the framework which will like the real gantry carry the wires to the power box.

I have also done some further work on the backscene, having found a pretty much square on photo of a MK1 BG, to fill in the gap between the pictures and the trackbed. In reality there will be a train in front of them so they will only be visible through windows and gaps between buffers but at least I know they are there. Kevin has also kindly let me use a modified version of one of his pictures taken under the real Bristol East signal gantry. I need to reprint it and reposition lower down as the tracks and the parcel stock don't quite line up with the backscene to the rear.

I have included a couple of other photos to replicate as best I can some of the original photos from the Bristol Rail website which I intend to display on the fold down cover at the front of the layout.

The class 08 in the pictures will get renumbered 08951 before April, I also need to add the missing air compressor compartment on one side.  

post-7400-0-84311700-1418678582_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-69955100-1418678829_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-91061100-1418678898_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-80286200-1418678964_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-01893600-1418678995_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-45225700-1418679007_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-93079000-1418679066_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Very effective way of creating depth, and bloody convincing too! Like the others there was several are they aren't they moments.

CR signals are little works of art, when I saw the price for all the ones I needed for Sodem I did worry for my life when my finacial advisor (Mrs) saw the bank statement, but when I opened the box I thought I had been under charged, the colour seems spot on too.

Matt

• Like 1

Very effective way of creating depth, and bloody convincing too! Like the others there was several are they aren't they moments.

CR signals are little works of art, when I saw the price for all the ones I needed for Sodem I did worry for my life when my finacial advisor (Mrs) saw the bank statement, but when I opened the box I thought I had been under charged, the colour seems spot on too.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I had a heart stopper last night when I got home and found my good lady wife had opened the jiffy bag accidentally, luckily I don't think she had got to the receipt. I have already pre warned her about the imminent arrival of a rather large box from Liverpool with 4 of the Hornby MK2e's and the aforementioned Bedford HA van....

Having been brought up on a diet of Eckon signals, I didn't expect the CR version to be fully assembled and painted, I think they are incredibly good value. It is also useful that the tails to the LED's are so long as they should just about reach under the baseboard. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Fooled me! Had to look twice before realising that there are printed!

Thanks Richard and others who have mentioned it, finding the right picture is the hardest bit. I have used the same picture for all the coaches but I had to a do a bit of doctoring on the original image to remove a brick column and replaced the open Guards door with a closed one to make the rake look less uniform.

Edited by 37114
  • Like 1

Hi Matt,

I had a heart stopper last night when I got home and found my good lady wife had opened the jiffy bag accidentally, luckily I don't think she had got to the receipt. I have already pre warned her about the imminent arrival of a rather large box from Liverpool with 4 of the Hornby MK2e's and the aforementioned Bedford HA van....

Having been brought up on a diet of Eckon signals, I didn't expect the CR version to be fully assembled and painted, I think they are incredibly good value. It is also useful that the tails to the LED's are so long as they should just about reach under the baseboard. 

Ohhhh That can be dangerous, one of my mates has all his purchases delivered to the hanger, they can then be brough into the house under the cover of darkness!

Very impressed with the build quality, and the fact they will build any signal in any configuration for you. It is the little details that make the differance, the fact they colour code the tails with little heatshrink sleeves to aid wiring and as you said they are not shy about putting a good length of wire on either. More I think about the more of a bargin they seem, just need to convince the Mrs now!

Matt

• Like 1

The class 08 in the pictures will get renumbered 08951 before April, I also need to add the missing air compressor compartment on one side.  

The high level part does look very effective.

Are you going to give 08951 a CAR brake van for the shunters to ride in?

cheers

I really like the effect of the stone work, I'm trying to get the same effect, just finding it hard to highlight the mortar joints.

Overall your work is excellent and find the detail really good

Easiest way I find to get the mortar highlighted is to paint the wall in the mortar colour and then dry brush the stone colour over the top. Using a few different shades of the stone colour helps break up the stark nature of the stone.

Cheers

Matt

I really like the effect of the stone work, I'm trying to get the same effect, just finding it hard to highlight the mortar joints.

Overall your work is excellent and find the detail really good

Hi Axel,

The best bit about the motar is it  is not painted, it is actually the self coloured plastic of the stone sheets. I apply the stone colour using a flat brush, lightly loaded with paint, and brush over the stone work holding the brush at about a 30 degree angle to the sheet. I then pick out individual stones in about 5 or 6 different colours through dry brushing. I will try and do a step by step picture post of how to do it over the next few weeks. It is simpler to do than the describe, the golden rule is less paint is more if you see what I mean.

• Like 1

The high level part does look very effective.

Are you going to give 08951 a CAR brake van for the shunters to ride in?

cheers

That is the plan Kevin, I have the van in stock just un weathered and it needs new couplings. I also plan to get a parkside kit for the 5 plank wagons to run with the 03's

• Like 2