Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

The diary for 2015 is now full as I can only fit in 3 (ish) shows per annum, the full list is:

11th and 12th April - Cheltenham

16th April - The gas Cupboard railway Thursday - Trowbridge

25th July - Barnstaple

3rd October - Chippenham

• Like 3

I had a look through the photos of various flickr members that I follow for suitable photos of the sorting office conveyor, as mentioned earlier it is hard to find either photos of the right angle as most photos obviously focus on the train. I found this little gem on Robert Tarling's  (Bristol RE's) photostream which with a bit of playing around in paint is passable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/7342301102/

Interested in thoughts feedback, worth saying that as the layout is stored on its end I couldn't put the static parcels train in place? The angle of the conveyor is not quite right and there is a slight colour mismatch but I can repaint the conveyor to match the photo in the fullness of time:

post-7400-0-82014100-1427577459_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I had a look through the photos of various flickr members that I follow for suitable photos of the sorting office conveyor, as mentioned earlier it is hard to find either photos of the right angle as most photos obviously focus on the train. I found this little gem on Robert Tarling's  (Bristol RE's) photostream which with a bit of playing around in paint is passable.

Interested in thoughts feedback, worth saying that as the layout is stored on its end I couldn't put the static parcels train in place? The angle of the conveyor is not quite right and there is a slight colour mismatch but I can repaint the conveyor to match the photo in the fullness of time:

It is going to be tricky to get exactly right, but that does look better

cheers

It is going to be tricky to get exactly right, but that does look better

cheers

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Kevin, one of the things I was concerned about when planning this layout was the scenic breaks for the high level, exacerbated by the fact the upper level is supposed to be part of a large station so needs to portray a sense of scale, difficult with such a small area to work with.

• Like 1

This is really looking good now.  I liked Pallett lane but this is significantly better.  The high level section really adds an extra dimension and the photo back scene is one of if not the best I've seen.  I'm sorely tempted to rip off your design and build a cloned one for myself!

But get a move on with those 25's!

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

This is really looking good now.  I liked Pallett lane but this is significantly better.  The high level section really adds an extra dimension and the photo back scene is one of if not the best I've seen.  I'm sorely tempted to rip off your design and build a cloned one for myself!

But get a move on with those 25's!

Go for it, the layout is good fun to operate and I haven't even got the top level working yet.

I will crack on with the 25's now the top level is presentable, one is more advanced than the other so will see what I can do this week

Ok, can't argue with the evidence !

To be fair Rob, I am stretching the point the timescales a little as the photos of my 2 prototypes is a little after 1977:

25185 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/8642611890/in/photolist-eaHDpQ-7WtXSc

25191 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/15892526620/in/photolist-qdnmtE-dHLb8X-nYVSLJ-dNUGD3-dCkSdS

I didn't think of the flask trains.

Are you having any bath road 56s or where they later too ?

I think the 56's were later although they were new in 1977, I don't think they ventured down that far south west until the eatly 80's. Referencing an earlier post, while I am not a massive fan of class 33's, I am even less of a fan of class 56's so they are way down the to do list.

I suppose with all this talk of class 25's I suppose I should show some photos of the work so far:

post-7400-0-27885700-1427834656_thumb.jpg

The project hasn't been completely straightforward as the glazing has proved difficult to make. I experimented with acetate sheet but struggled to get anything remotely passable and with 56 pane's to do, another solution is required. What that solution is I haven't decided yet so in the interim the Bachmann glazing has been modified to fit. Not perfect but not as difficult as you would think.

I need to touch up the paintwork seams and I am still to sort how the buffer beams will secure to the cab but it feels like the end maybe in sight, and there is an outside chance 25191 maybe ready for Cheltenham. 

• Like 4

I agree on the weld line, alas it only became so noticeable once sprayed. I will discuss with Simon to see how they can be adjusted in the future, it maybe easier to leave the seam off and then enable the end user to scribe it on.

Looks pretty good piece of personalisation, I'll have to see if I can make Chippenham.

I guess if you don't like 33s, you can omit them as all the local freight / Portsmouth runs was 31/0 , 31/4 at that time ?

Looking at Kevin's thread I think there was a fair few peak diagrams around, this is borne out by the shots of them at bath road

Looks pretty good piece of personalisation, I'll have to see if I can make Chippenham.

I guess if you don't like 33s, you can omit them as all the local freight / Portsmouth runs was 31/0 , 31/4 at that time ?

Looking at Kevin's thread I think there was a fair few peak diagrams around, this is borne out by the shots of them at bath road

I would need to check on the Portsmouth's Rob, I have a feeling 1977 was when the class 205's were in use on the Portsmouth trains, but they were all 3 car's rather than Kernow's 2 car version. Thats said I don't have space for a 3 car unit so probably could get away with a respray of a 2 car version. I do need some more 31's although my model of 31210 was a fair bit of work, I probably have a backlog of 2 years worth of work on various stock projects in the pipeline so will be a while. I have a split box peak already done, I would like to add a centre split version to the roster as well.

• Like 2

There's no welding there. Main front panel is rivited to frame at bottem and small skirting is screwed on. Crap design and always letting weather in, thats way you get a rusty line round the cab and the cab floors go rotten

I would need to check on the Portsmouth's Rob, I have a feeling 1977 was when the class 205's were in use on the Portsmouth trains, but they were all 3 car's rather than Kernow's 2 car version. Thats said I don't have space for a 3 car unit so probably could get away with a respray of a 2 car version. I do need some more 31's although my model of 31210 was a fair bit of work, I probably have a backlog of 2 years worth of work on various stock projects in the pipeline so will be a while. I have a split box peak already done, I would like to add a centre split version to the roster as well.

Class 31/4s took over the Portsmouth - Cardiff services from the May 1977 timetable, for which Bath Road received eight of them in 1977.

Class 31/1s had already been working the some of the Weymouth services for a few years by then,

cheers

Class 31/4s took over the Portsmouth - Cardiff services from the May 1977 timetable, for which Bath Road received eight of them in 1977.

Class 31/1s had already been working the some of the Weymouth services for a few years by then,

cheers

Thanks Kevin, I presume this photo was taken on the last day of Thumper operation if the 31/4's took over from May:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77243361@N07/15541413919/in/photolist-pFkNUp-dvkiDP-fMvJES-fgiqvR-aUntoz-iZxoKz-87tqZH-nr7MZ3-giho2q-gihq7Y-iZycmQ-fis3Ri-jfWSdH-aysKGE-n7ibrP-a6AHtj-9J3Lwr-oSMXgu-9f3UMD-bUEEFN-8Y8BQ8-7VY7rD-8kdJuP-neM5t7-ecJTRt-a8r6yS-ft8NTF-ebyeX7-8ZJtDJ-eLYYXr-oZGzFL-95b6oz-aftShf-by5BJ1-9f3YVF-fGzoYy-cWqCVC-cU5nhq-duBDgb-afUtMP-mHT3vi-8yxh4U-am4xFm-89uXcN-89rZ3g

Also did Bath road take over the work from another depot as I don't recall Thumpers being based at Bristol?

Hi Rob,

yes that is the picture I found that gave details of the change of service.

To cross check it I looked through my old Locoshed books to see where the 31/4s were allocated.

The 1977 book, with WR info correct to November 1976, showed no 31/4s at Bath Road, but I had amended the allocations during the year.

31401, 31414-416, 31419, 31421-424 arrived during 1977 from Finsbury Park and Old Oalk Common.

The initial loco hauled service from 1977 was only roughly 2 hourly with WR DMUs working some other odd services as far as Westbury/Salisbury in the gaps. DEMUs worked stoppers from Salisbury-Southampton

The DEMUs were always Eastleigh allocated units.

In 1977 the sets at Eastleigh were 1101-05, 1110-11, 1121-22, 1124-33.

I started on BR at Bristol in July 1977 and don't remember seeing DEMUs very often, though one sometimes turned up covering a failure, normally working straight back.

cheers