Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

If you use that chassis you'll have to be careful with the loco number Rob.  That one has water tanks and very few of the later cab style had water tanks fitted - and I think they were allocated to Scotland for most of their lives.  Also surprised you'd use the Hornby body - apart from the cabs (which you could change - you should be a master of it by now!)  isn't the Bachmann better?

The water tank is removable thankfully as you are dead right only 5 of the later style had water tanks, the roof was different which Bachmann correctly tooled up when they released that version.

As Kev mentioned the Bachmann 25\1 has class 24 body side grilles, I have a spare Hornby shell in the bottom of the spares box to play with. The Hornby shell has a few of its own faults but these are easier to sort than the Bachmann grilles.

It's amazing that although the two classes 24 and 24 were almost identical they were in fact almost completely different! What a minefield to model!

You are not wrong! It seems the design was consistently evolving so it must have been a nightmare when it came to keeping spare parts.

It's amazing that although the two classes 24 and 24 were almost identical they were in fact almost completely different! What a minefield to model!

You are not wrong! It seems the design was consistently evolving so it must have been a nightmare when it came to keeping spare parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Any new updates Rob :paint:

cheers neil.

Afraid not Neil, work has been manic with 15 hour days eroding modelling time somewhat, have been on hols with the family over the weekend. The class 25s need another coat of blue so hopefully will be finished by Cheltenham.

It has been a few weeks since the last update, but I have made some progress over the last few days. Today is also one year since the start of this thread/ layout construction so worthy of an update.  Part of what has made the layout so enjoyable to build has been the help from friends and the good folk on here who have suggested ideas, constructive criticism or background info which has assisted the development and build of the layout, so thank you for all the contributions!

I had previously been struggling with how to control the point on the upper level, as my original plan was to use a tortoise motor but that proved to be too big for the size and one of the supports from the arches is in the way. I had also discounted any form of control from the front like the other points due to the height of the track above the main base board. 

post-7400-0-81465300-1424723514_thumb.jpg

The solution I have chosen is to replicate the real world and have the point controlled by a series of rods and pulleys that run alongside the track from the fiddle yard.  As the rodding etc is hidden behind the viaduct wall I have focussed on rigidity and reliability as opposed to aesthetics, especially as the wall behind the arches etc is only detailed on one side.

post-7400-0-77281000-1424723551_thumb.jpg

The piano wire I have used is very flexible, I mounted it in brass tube from the fiddle yard to the electrical switch which provides the latching and controls the polarity of the crossing vee.  The switch is connected to a washer screwed into the board which provides the change of rod direction by 90 degrees to control the tie bar.

post-7400-0-64454500-1424723575_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-99234600-1424723587_thumb.jpg

The point is now secured to the board so I have laid the rest of the track and can now make the platform. In an ideal world the layout would be 6inches longer so I could model more of the platform but there should still be enough for a few BRUTES and some spotters.. 

post-7400-0-02261400-1424723606_thumb.jpg

No photos but the class 25's have been un-masked, just a small bit of touching up to do and I have finished the CAR brake van, complete with bit of broken pallet on the bufferbeam

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Really nice layout - I also liked Pallet Lane and was lucky enough to see it at Taunton a few years ago.

I've just noticed you are coming to Barnstaple in July - Thats excellent news for me!

Regards,

James

Really nice layout - I also liked Pallet Lane and was lucky enough to see it at Taunton a few years ago.

I've just noticed you are coming to Barnstaple in July - Thats excellent news for me!

Regards,

James

Thanks James, I am really looking forward to Barnstaple, Mudmagnet and the team have got some lovely layouts going, I have never seen Diesels in the Duchy in the flesh yet.

I remember the Taunton show as anything that could go wrong, did go wrong that weekend, I was exhausted by the end of it having driven something like 400 miles over the weekend and erected the layout twice in 24 hours because I had put it up at Pecorama the day before for the Railway Modeller photo shoot.

• RMweb Gold

I remember you mentioning being at Pecorama the day earlier, but you would have never known you'd had a tough weekend - we had a nice chat, which was good, as it was one of my earliest exhibitions since re-joining the hobby. I very much enjoy building layouts of this size, and pallet lane influenced my Braybridge layout heavily - even though it might not be obvious to some.

Look forward to chatting again in July.

cheers,

James

Edited by jamest
  • Like 1

I remember you mentioning being at Pecorama the day earlier, but you would have never known you'd had a tough weekend - we had a nice chat, which was good, as it was one of my earliest exhibitions since re-joining the hobby. I very much enjoy building layouts of this size, and pallet lane influenced my Braybridge layout heavily - even though it might not be obvious to some.

Look forward to chatting again in July.

cheers,

James

Braybridge looks really good, will read the thread fully tonight.

I forgot the complete list of "Taunton calamities" but most of them didn't affect the public presentation of the layout. I know one of the hinge pins for the legs went missing probably at Beer, so I had to fashion a new one out of a bit of old coathanger at the bottom of the tool box to allow me to put the layout up. I also dropped the control panel while loading the car to go home, which also damaged the main wiring loom for the layout. I remember feeling rather Swan like at times, with my fellow operators keeping things moving while I was doing running repairs round the back.

Edited by 37114

Guest Lyonesse

Excellent work; I've only just found this thread.  My own thoughts for a layout had been working along similar lines, a high level passenger, based on the viaduct into Bristol TM or the Northern end of Stapleton Road, and low level goods based on Avon Street or the harbour branch.  I don't think I could match the consistency and excellence of detail here though.

There must have been quite a few of these small Blue Circle depots.  There was one at Lawrence Hill and I seem to remember one of the MRJ companions featuring one.

Excellent work; I've only just found this thread.  My own thoughts for a layout had been working along similar lines, a high level passenger, based on the viaduct into Bristol TM or the Northern end of Stapleton Road, and low level goods based on Avon Street or the harbour branch.  I don't think I could match the consistency and excellence of detail here though.

There must have been quite a few of these small Blue Circle depots.  There was one at Lawrence Hill and I seem to remember one of the MRJ companions featuring one.

Thanks for your comments,there were quite a few of the blue circle terminals about, I think blue circle used Lawrence Hill after Avon Street closed but not 100%. They are ideal prototypes for small layouts

I managed to grab some time earlier while tidying up the garage to spray the track for the upper level which I ballasted earlier in the week. I have also fitted the base of the platform which will have the cosmetic details added including making the ramp. By making all the sides of the layout removable this job is so much easier than it would have been:

post-7400-0-13427500-1425143915_thumb.jpg

I have finished the 20T brake van to accompany the class 08 which still needs renumbering.

post-7400-0-84349200-1425144018_thumb.jpg

I have faithfully added the bit of pallet that was visible in the prototype picture taken at Temple Meads

post-7400-0-24852400-1425144076_thumb.jpg

And as promised a photo of the class 25 shells which are having the edges of the yellow touched up caused by paint bleed under the masking tape. It is a number of years since I have done a respray and need to practice my masking a bit more.

post-7400-0-69523400-1425144167_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I forgot to mention, Peafore Yard has another exhibition outing this year, it is appearing at Bentley MRG Chippenham show on the 3rd October. In the absence of a Corsham show, this is probably the closest show to home for me being 10 minutes up the road. Ironically Pallet Lane's first exhibition appearance was in Corsham in 2008 but I lived in Northamptonshire at the time.

• Like 2

Just come across this thread Rob and I have to say I am impressed. I am a fan of Pallet Lane and saw it at Melksham a few years back. Looks like I will be making a detour from Melksham back to Wales via Cheltenham next month ( I think the shows are the same weekend). Pallet Lane got me interested in a cement terminal, luckily I managed to get 3 triple packs of Presflos last year onEbay for about £30 each, just before the price sky rocketed !

I do like the gradual demonstration of progress and it does seem that small bite sized chunks if work can produce a formidable model at the end. I've been one to find the whole layout building process daunting, but seeing yours slowly develop fills be with confidence to get off my fat **** and start building again.

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh as it were.

Tony

• Like 3

Just come across this thread Rob and I have to say I am impressed. I am a fan of Pallet Lane and saw it at Melksham a few years back. Looks like I will be making a detour from Melksham back to Wales via Cheltenham next month ( I think the shows are the same weekend). Pallet Lane got me interested in a cement terminal, luckily I managed to get 3 triple packs of Presflos last year onEbay for about £30 each, just before the price sky rocketed !

I do like the gradual demonstration of progress and it does seem that small bite sized chunks if work can produce a formidable model at the end. I've been one to find the whole layout building process daunting, but seeing yours slowly develop fills be with confidence to get off my fat **** and start building again.

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh as it were.

Tony

Thanks for your comment Tony, it will be good to see you again, the shows are the same weekend, Cheltenham is a good show so the detour should be worthwhile. I am amazed at the price that the Presflos are now albeit they are a lovely model, if I needed loads more of them I would consider returning to Airfix kits which with a little work can be made into nice models.

One of the beautys of such a small model is you can get jobs turned around quickly, I am also finding that I am able to leave it up in the corner of the garage so can work on it when I have 30 minutes or so spare, especially now the weather is getting warmer. Good luck with your own project, look forward to seeing some photos.

• Like 1

I've only just put two and two together and made the connection that "Pallet Lane" was your work, Rob. An all-time favourite of mine since seeing it in RM eons ago. This is looking terrific, as always.

• Like 1

I've only just put two and two together and made the connection that "Pallet Lane" was your work, Rob. An all-time favourite of mine since seeing it in RM eons ago. This is looking terrific, as always.

Thanks Pete, I will get round to writing an article for one of the magazines later this year on Peafore Yard

Edited by 37114
  • Like 2