Hurlford Shed

Jock67B

Hello folks - a brief but sad tale, I was recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer which adds urgency to my dream of producing a model reminiscent of my days living in the block of maisonettes adjoining 67B in the fifties. The only track diagram I have is from the twenties and there must have been great changes since. Would anyone have such a plan or indeed be able to point me in the right direction for a source? I am also struggling to find photo's or details of the Barleith Station adjoining, particularly the passenger access which I sadly can't recall despite having travelled from there often. I appreciate your consideration, Kind regards, Jock67B.

jackjokerr@btinternet.com

Hi JockHave you contacted the Glasgow & South Western Railway Association?They have a website at:http://www.gswrr.co.uk/Regards.

Thanks 66C, guess I better become a member. As an aside, I have an original but very fragile drivers log sheet for engine 41 doing a round trip Glasgow to Carlisle and back from 17-6-1872. It is part of my ex GSWR driver fathers estate which I am charged with disposal. I feel it should probably go to offers from a society member before going on open sale but I have other beneficiaries to consider - what a responsibility! Thank you once again,

Kind regards, Jock67B.

Commiserations, Jock, it really is a bu99er of a disease.

Hurlford was one of my favourite sheds - I envy you having lived in 'The Blocks'.  I have a couple of suggestions for you. Have you seen "LMS Engine Sheds Volume 7 - The Glasgow and South Western Railway"? It has a detailed track plan of the shed and adjacent sidings as of about 1930 (or is this the plan you already have?). It also contains a picture showing a partial view of Barleith Halt, though not the pedestrian access. I'd also suggest this website: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html . It has a 1:2500 map of the Hurlford area dated "1963-67" which shows the track layout quite clearly, though the very southeast corner of the yard is missing. There don't appear to be many changes from the 1930 plan.  

• RMweb Premium

Jock,

David L Smith was the historian of the GSWR, I don't know if the Assoc have his archive but I'll check in the books he wrote tomorrow.

Best wishes

Dava

Commiserations, Jock, it really is a bu99er of a disease.

Hurlford was one of my favourite sheds - I envy you having lived in 'The Blocks'.  I have a couple of suggestions for you. Have you seen "LMS Engine Sheds Volume 7 - The Glasgow and South Western Railway"? It has a detailed track plan of the shed and adjacent sidings as of about 1930 (or is this the plan you already have?). It also contains a picture showing a partial view of Barleith Halt, though not the pedestrian access. I'd also suggest this website: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html . It has a 1:2500 map of the Hurlford area dated "1963-67" which shows the track layout quite clearly, though the very southeast corner of the yard is missing. There don't appear to be many changes from the 1930 plan.

Thank you so much pH, yes I have that book and oddly enough the picture you mention shows where I actually lived- the last lower maisonette next to the shed- 1A Block Barleith. Dad moved as a driver from Dumfries (where I was born in '47) in 1952 and we stayed for 4 or 5 years before moving in to Hurlford. I do remember the accommodation as very basic but with a good supply of quality coal! The camaraderie of the populace was fantastic and what a playground with 'dens' in guards vans and loco' sand open moorland to explore nearby in a safer era. The maps look very useful and I am indebted to you, kind regards, Jock67B.

Jock,

David L Smith was the historian of the GSWR, I don't know if the Assoc have his archive but I'll check in the books he wrote tomorrow.

Best wishes

Dava

Hi Davao,Thank you for the post - what a fantastic bunch of characters live in RMWeb !!

Kind regards, Jock67B.

Here are direct links to the maps pH refers to:

1938 http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maptiles/m101167_245400_636160.png

1967 http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maptiles/m100954_245400_636160.png

Hope these are a help

Jim

Thank you Jim, the '38 map in particular is very useful though I will have to remember that a much bigger turntable was fitted by the era I am keen on - it held a Crostini boiler end 9F whilst under trials on the Nith valley line! I love your layout by the way a much grander scale than the one I have planned. Can I refer you to my comments on pH and Dava's posts? Thank you so much of your assistance,

Kind regards Jock67B.

There were no photos or diagrams in the books but a web search for Hurlford came up with this - evocative images

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/slideshow/slideshow.php?loc=Hurlford

Dava

Thanks Dava, oddly enough, the photo that you selected shows a diesel shunter and my Dad was sent to college to learn diesel engineering by BR, in order that he could carry out a lot of the initial testing in the mineral sidings adjoining the shed. Must try and find a photo I remember from the family album of him in the cab of one of Messrs. Barclays offerings! Thank once again for your consideration, Kind regards,

Jock67B.

hi Jock - you may be interested in this photograph which appeared in the signalbox.org site, which shows the adjacent mineral sidings that were just to the East of the depot, the signal box is, appropriately, "Hurlford Mineral Sidings". The photographer would have been standing just at the East wall of the depot looking North East, further photographs of this loco can be found here http://railonline.zenfolio.com/?q=11177

Jim

111771950s-ROneg-108copyrightColinJMarsd

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 4

hi Jock - you may be interested in this photograph which appeared in the signalbox.org site, which shows the adjacent mineral sidings that were just to the East of the depot, the signal box is, appropriately, "Hurlford Mineral Sidings". The photographer would have been standing just at the East wall of the depot looking North East, further photographs of this loco can be found here http://railonline.zenfolio.com/?q=11177

Jim

111771950s-ROneg-108copyrightColinJMarsd

Hi Jim,

Fantastic thanks -looks just like the very machine my Dad tested! Must find the photo and post it, from memory it was taken in almost the same position. Kind regards and again many thanks,

Jock67B.

Jock - great to see you channeling your enthusiasm into something meaningful and which clearly means so much to not just you, but to the many aficionados of one of the great sheds of latterday Scottish steam.  I wish you the utmost success in this project and rest assured, you're guaranteed whatever assistance the masses here can offer.

Keep it up mate!

Hi Jim,

Fantastic thanks -looks just like the very machine my Dad tested! Must find the photo and post it, from memory it was taken in almost the same position. Kind regards and again many thanks,

Jock67B.

Didn't make the connection at first, but your name comes up in the thread from which I got the photo!!

http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3822&p=60489&hilit=hurlford#p60489

Jim

Jock,

I've nothing to add to your research, I'm afraid
I just wanted to say, I was very sorry to hear such awful news

However, as someone else said, I'ts nice to see you channeling positive energy into something you enjoy
Railway modelling can be such a rewarding hobby,
and I love the way it can transform you back to another time & place

Good luck with the research & with the build
but most of all, good luck with everything else mate

Marc

Jock,

I've nothing to add to your research, I'm afraid

I just wanted to say, I was very sorry to hear such awful news

However, as someone else said, I'ts nice to see you channeling positive energy into something you enjoy

Railway modelling can be such a rewarding hobby,

and I love the way it can transform you back to another time & place

Good luck with the research & with the build

but most of all, good luck with everything else mate

Marc

I would like to reply to both Marc and 'Chard' above as well as all other watchers by saying that such support underpins my resolve and there is, I understand, nothing better than set targets to prolong the battle. I am currently engaged in designing a 00 rendition of the Hurlford coaling stage

which I will start as soon as time and budget permit. The shed will be next but I may have to reduce the scale length - I remember

how long it took to walk the length! I want to do both as modules which can then be set into an open plan baseboard as there were a surprising amount of gradient changes. Thank you from the heart for your comments ; I feel as a recent member I have found a new family!!

Kind regards, Jock67B (Jack Kerr).

Hi Jock,

Just found your thread.  Sorry to read your news but keep positive.  I used to spend a bit of time around Kilmarnock and managed to visit Hurlford a few times.  Lasting memory is the lines of 2Ps and others waiting their fate.

However I model an earlier period when the G&SWR was still in its prime.  My current project is a shed layout based on Muirkirk which is a smaller version of the standard Hurlford/Ayr/ Dumfries design I've not got far with the buildings yet but have been making stock.  There is lots of info including track layout and photos in LMS Engine sheds volume 7 which covers the G&SWR.  Its out of print now but still available on the 2nd hand market. Alternatively see http://www.gswrr.co.uk/page_872673.html  for details of what has been published in Sou west Journal, a few articles about Hurlford there.  The DL Smith papers are in the Scottish Record office in Edinburgh including his extensive loco records which he used in compiling his loco history.  Have you read the Tales?  Probably the most entertaining book on railways written.

Happy modelling,

Ian.  

Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for the support - I have the book in question (it is particularly good on Muikirk with scale drawings at the front as well!). From memory, the roof trusses etc. we're the same on the big sheds. I was lucky enough to have several footplate rides along the Darvel branch when Dad did extra shifts between top link and testing - mainly 2Ps but also a 'Micket Mouse'. Feel really lucky to have such an upbringing. I scaled off one of the superb 'Barking Bill' photos of Hurlford in his Flick'r group - made the entrance arches c. 15ft high based on the height of the loco cab sitting right in the doorway and then extrapolated all other sizes from that. Possibly a risky method but good enough for model purposes! It is however going to be a bit shorter than scale or it won't fit the space available. I'm going to have to join the association I think. Your information is most helpful however and much appreciated. You will notice from above that I am still finding my way around the RMWeb but at least I've learned how to reply without re-posting the whole article! To repeat myself, feel like I have a new family and it really lifts the spirit. I'm told that being positive is half the battle and I am determined to extend the timeline statistics!!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

For Ian and anyone interested : don't know if you have discovered the web site 'shedbashuk.blogspot.co.uk' - if not you will find it is crammed with loco spotting data with classes and numbers itemised over several different years. For instance if you click on South Western Scotland and then on Sub Sheds, Muirkirk is shown over numerous years between 1946 and 1963. There seems to be a mine of information for modellers who wish to have authentically numbered stock in their chosen location. Just got a great book from the library : 'Scottish Railways, Two Decades of Transition' by Donald Peddie 2009. Loads of great pictures of G&SWR region stock at Hurlford and elsewhere and in my chosen era! Plenty for the modeller with locos under repair, departmental stock etc. There is also a lot of content from the Stirling area. For those who haven't discovered this book yet, it is well worth sourcing. I guess my scanner will be in use before the day is done!! Hope this is of interest,

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Hi Jock,

Thanks for the link, I had come across this a while ago but had forgotten how much there was on it. Historical modelling does lead one into all sorts of places in search of info.  Quite often I get sidetracked and off at a tangent sometimes regretting wasted time and at others  enjoying something new.

As I said I am currently building stock for the layout which will be firmly set in G&SWR days.  This is one of the long term residents at Muirkirk. No 300 was one of Hugh Smellies 22 class steam braked goods engines.

post-6089-0-73305900-1393678157.jpg

She was at Muirkirk until the 1st War when loaned to the Great Western along with 7 other G&SW locos. By then she was on the duplicate list as 300A and a bit worn out!

Part of the sidetracking is that I have been building a few models of locos I remember from my spotting days.  This is one!

post-6089-0-53671100-1393678460.jpg

57577 was allocated to Hurlford and was one of the locos that I saw virtually every day and got a wee bit fed up of her but how I wish I could see her now.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 9

Hi Ian,

Wish I had the ability to build such beautiful and evocative models - I would also like to see one now! Occasionaly, I like to visit Bressingham just to inhale the steam as a sort of fix!!

Kind regards and keep up the good work,

Jock67B.

Hi Ian,

Just picked up March 'Railway Modeller' to discover 2 pages on the G&SWR. If you haven't seen it or don't fancy buying the mag. let me know and I'll scan and e-mail it to you. Lovely shot of Manson no. 422 which emphasises the width of the coaching stock!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Hi Ian,

Just picked up March 'Railway Modeller' to discover 2 pages on the G&SWR. If you haven't seen it or don't fancy buying the mag. let me know and I'll scan and e-mail it to you. Lovely shot of Manson no. 422 which emphasises the width of the coaching stock!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Hi Jock,

Yes I did see it, quite a good piece, written by the Treasurer of the G&SWR Assn. However I see that the Editor in his wisdom missed out the Ampersand! Some might think it a bit petty but the company was very particular in its use and NEVER missed it out in its publications and on all the rolling stock. I think we should strive for historical accuracy but others think differently!. Rant over, but don't get me started on 'Train Station' which really gets up my nose.

Anyway there are some good pictures in the article. I really like the Manson designs, elegant with a workmanlike simplicity. I am currently finishing off my model of the first series of his 4-6-0s. Very pretty with their bogie tenders, quite big compared to thecommon goods engines but impressive with a rake of Joint stock clerestory coaches. However the 4-6-0s never got to Muirkirk but might have which is reason enough for me to have one.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I agree, very poor editing! Really don't think you you need an excuse to run something as lovely as the 4-6-0 ; sadly they had all gone by the period that I hope to model although historic accuracy may suffer due to constraints of space and my waning ability. The book I mentioned by Donald Peddie includes some images of very interesting G&SWR stock that ran up to and beyond the end of steam and so I am tempted to try to model one. Keep up the excellent work.

Kind regards,

Jock67B.