An LNER Y7 from card, now with the Ambrosia video

Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the comment, nice of you :-)

Hello HT,

I've often thought that myself the shellac does make it a fir bit stiffer.

Cheers both - Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Having got the chassis to run OK with the motor in I've started to paint it and have just put the buffer beams on and checked the height against a wagon.

52gh82.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

Thank you for kind enquiry and your interest in making a Y7 yourself. The drawing is in the Oakwood Press North Sunderland railway book I can send you a scan of it for your personal use, I expect it is still within its copyright, please PM me your email address.

Cheers - Jim

Jim.. So glad i found this thread (don't spend much time on RMWeb as I get lost so easily) Love this loco! :)

For anyone who hasn't seen Jim's modelling 'in the flesh' .. it's inspiring stuff. 

I have plans for Y6, shellac..Rankine Gray's booklet... just need to get some card.. hmmm...

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

I hope you and yours are OK, very nice to see you here.

A Y6 is an ideal project for some card, ABS used to do a detailing kit in 7mm dunno if they still do.

Cheers - Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I've very nearly finished my Y7 and surprised myself that I could make stuff like the chimney from a bit of wood and some rolled paper. I reckon the cost was under £40 a major slice of that being the motor, the wheels cost £3.99 incl postage and I bought some nickel silver for the the pickups from Eileens and some red paint from the Vallejo stockist.

2sbwww9.jpg

For those that doubted the pulling power of a card chassis here's the Ambrosia (and soup) video.

http://youtu.be/7h_-o90fFMU

Cheers - Jim

Hello all,

I've very nearly finished my Y7 and surprised myself that I could make stuff like the chimney from a bit of wood and some rolled paper. I reckon the cost was under £40 a major slice of that being the motor, the wheels cost £3.99 incl postage and I bought some nickel silver for the the pickups from Eileens and some red paint from the Vallejo stockist.

2sbwww9.jpg

For those that doubted the pulling power of a card chassis here's the Ambrosia (and soup) video.

http://youtu.be/7h_-o90fFMU

Cheers - Jim

Jim,

This is a first class job and the pulling power is impressive as is the smooth running of a short 0-4-0 through the pointwork. 

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Well done Jim,

Clearly no maximum loading gauge or axle weight limits on Muckton Bottom then?!

It would be interesting to do the Y8 which was even smaller than the Y7, one of these reached the Spurn Head light railway being towed on a road trailer by a tractor and Scammell mechanical horse! They had 3 foot driving wheels.

http://www.lner.info/locos/Y/y8.shtml

Dava

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Chris and thanks Mike and thanks Dave,

Nice of you all to comment thanks :-)

I have a small drawing of the Y8 Dave, I've already got some suitable old Hornby wheels it will be the next standard gauge loco I make I think it would be interesting to see the two together. I recall the Spurn Head railway, I've got John Scott Morgan's book with a pic of it on a very small wheeled LNER trailer. I'd forgotten about it thanks for reminding me it's a good pic of the Y8 and you can see the coal scuttle in the cab, I often wondered if someone tripped over it and fell out of the cab, into the sea :-)

Cheers - Jim

a bit ot, but about 50years ago, I was with the leccy board, doing some work ouside the Ambrosia factory at Lapford. I was most impressed, a large hallway, with what looked like concrete mixers, guys in white dustcoats, hats, and white wellies. They'd empty out whatever was being mixed (looked like butter) onto the floor, and shovel it up using, iirc wooden shovels. Got given a few free dented tins of rice pudding.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the comment, hope to see you soon at one of the local shows.

Hello Ray,

What an interesting story, amazing what companies did, hope you enjoyed the puddings

Hello GSM,

I know what your next project is going to be :-)

Cheers - Jim

• 3 months later...

Hi Jim,

Fantastic build, and one I plan to emulate! :)

Is there any chance you could provide measurements of your loco to complete those missing from the drawing you have?

I'd very much appreciate the assistance. :)

Guest Jim Read

Hello Daniel,

What I did was to measure off the drawing it's about 7mm scale.

And then if it looks OK to you no one else will notice :-)

Cheers - Jim

Jim, one other question, if that's okay?

How did you make the rods, piston and cylinders on the chassis on the first video?

I had a read through the thread but couldn't find any details except that the rods are made from nickel silver strip from Eileen's.

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Douglas, Nice of you to say so :-)

Hello Daniel,

That loco the blue one was one I made in the late eighties and rebuilt the chassis from card recently. The rods are made from Nickel Silver strip the cylinders from Plastikard and the pistons and crossheads are some old Hornby ones at least that's what I remember.

Cheers - Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Archived