James May makes a P2 part

I agree with the sentiments here.

I have had regular conversations with people about the A1 who tell me "its not a real locomotive just a big model" and "I wouldn't travel behind it because its different to the originals, not got right name, not painted x livery" etc etc. However, it always makes me laugh when I see these same people at galas or on stations during mainline railtours taking photos. I just smile at them from the footplate usually.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Some will put money into the project, others wont. Some of us spend hours working on the project with the aim of seeing our work turn into something tangible in the future. I for one cannot wait to see 2007 finished and I know I will be lucky enough to operate it.

The roadshows will be a great opportunity to come and meet the team (myself included) and ask us questions. 

Andy

Totally agree , Tony.

Maybe steam locos shouldn't have been called " manston " etc, or squadron names in case that was upsetting the Germans.

Or no football teams, because of the tribal violence that inspires in the weaker minded...

It's a good name - it celebrates a great aircraft and has meteorological connotations to boot

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the sentiments here.

I have had regular conversations with people about the A1 who tell me "its not a real locomotive just a big model" and "I wouldn't travel behind it because its different to the originals, not got right name, not painted x livery" etc etc. However, it always makes me laugh when I see these same people at galas or on stations during mainline railtours taking photos. I just smile at them from the footplate usually.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Some will put money into the project, others wont. Some of us spend hours working on the project with the aim of seeing our work turn into something tangible in the future. I for one cannot wait to see 2007 finished and I know I will be lucky enough to operate it.

The roadshows will be a great opportunity to come and meet the team (myself included) and ask us questions. 

Andy

Andy,

How do you like the idea of keeping us up to date with developments during the build on RMWeb? It will be good to have posts from somebody in the P2 team to make such information slightly more official.

Sadly, my insider information channel to Tornado ended when we lost Malcolm Crawley a couple of years ago.

He knew of the plans for the P2 and he approved very highly indeed!

I know there is the P2 website but if the details were here as well, then the project gets some extra publicity exposure to the modelling world, to people who may not otherwise look at the "proper" website.

Best wishes and good luck with the project. The way it seems to be going so far, it seems as if we won't have to wait nearly as long as we might have done to see Prince of Wales up and running.

Tony

Tony,

I will be more than happy to update RM web with the goings on when I get time. It will probably mostly stuff from the websites and other items we are generating but I will try and put it all together here for everyone.

I may start a new thread (will check Andy is happy first) so all the updates are together. Things really are moving forward at a great pace and its a very exciting time.

I urge anyone who is interested to come along to the roadshows and see what the project is about, where we are at and how you can help. The convectors scheme will be launched at the first on the 8th March. I'm currently putting slides together for my part of the presentation about the history of the class and the research being carried out, including several images that have not been published before.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, but what connection did the LNER ever have with Wales, Prince of, or otherwise?  (Apart from D11 5508/2662 - the Great Cenral doesn't count).

If the builders must toady up to the monarchy, why not take another of Charles' titles - "Duke of Rothesay"?

Or maybe 'Lord of the Isles'............

Thats very well put! Does the name matter that much? There's an opportunity to see a locomotive that has been lost operating on the national network and preserved lines. Its made of thousands of parts yet it seems that a small amount of pigment and two nameplates seems to have a far larger effect than the manufacture of endless components to make a working locomotive.

I echo the comments of who cares what the name is, as long as there is another beautiful steam locomotive running around our county.

I do have to say, that non railway enthusiasts know about Tornado like they do Flying Scotsman. My now wife was excited to see her steam through Stourbridge Junction two years ago, and she said to me "Isn't that the new steam train they built up north?"

I always thought Tornado an excellent name. I hadn't realised it was named after the RAF aircraft- which is fine- but it's also a name that expresses something about the elemental nature of a steam loco at speed.  I rather put it in the same bracket of names evocative of speed as Rocket, Firefly, Mallard or yes Flying Scotsman.

Guest Belgian

P2....P2....P2. There are other equally worthy new build projects that have been going on longer and deserve support too. What about the Clan http://www.72010-hengist.org/index.php , GWR County http://www.gwcountyproject.org.uk/ and Grange http://www.6880.co.uk/ for example.

What about them then - open a new thread for them: this one is about the new P2, and James May, or it was.

JE

I agree Pacific231G, it is all well and good going after 'traditional' steam engine names but 'Tornado' has helped the project capture the publics' imagination. The name presents a much more impressive 'brand' which the A1SLT could use both pre and post completion and for some old technology it seemed at home when it was on Topgear...

The people who genuinely want to see an A1 or P2 again will pay whatever the name, to succeed those involved in the newbuilds need to look at marketing the product in a way that brings in money from beyond the normal pools of funding. Another great example of this is the Unknown Warrior, it has a unique selling point that brings in finances from those who want to see a Patriot again as well as bringing in people interested in the RBL memorial locomotive aspects (and obviously locomotive will go on to perform its functions as a memorial engine which will be great for the RBL). The Prince of Wales name is bringing in a famous British 'brand' (who appreciates a good steam loco) to be associated in the project, which can only be a good thing.

I agree Pacific231G, it is all well and good going after 'traditional' steam engine names but 'Tornado' has helped the project capture the publics' imagination. The name presents a much more impressive 'brand' which the A1SLT could use both pre and post completion and for some old technology it seemed at home when it was on Topgear...

Yes. I'd thought that a popular muscular horse would have been more in keeping for the A1. However, while I can imagine "Tornado" in characteristic J. Clarkson intonation, I can't quite imagine he'd cope with "Desert Orchid" in quite the same way...

The Nim.

Yes. I'd thought that a popular muscular horse would have been more in keeping for the A1. However, while I can imagine "Tornado" in characteristic J. Clarkson intonation, I can't quite imagine he'd cope with "Desert Orchid" in quite the same way...

The Nim.

If you named it after a racehorse people might expect a 24inch gauge Simplex  :)

I'm not sure about Trigger or Silver (as in Hi Ho Silver) either and Champion could be misinterpreted as Yorkshire approval. Pegasus has possibilities. 

• 8 months later...

Well done to Prince Charles supporting projects like the A1 and the P2 - at least it's a positive use of his privileged position in society rather than pushing some of his other bizarre interests and beliefs such as Homeopathy. 

Charlie doesn't deserve to have such a magnificent machine named after him.  Many, many other people have put much more effort and/or money in to A1 and P2 - any one of them would better deserve their name on the plate.

Loco names run in loose themes - after Tornado - why not Typhoon?

I'm not trying to promote an "anti-flap ears" mentality - Charlie brings a certain publicity umph to the project - but so do other minor celebs such as James May - flavour of the month is Guy Martin with his Spitfire and other speed related telly programes - why not get him involved?

Archived