Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Only trouble with that is, certain individuals would be complaining about it being the wrong shade of green - why isn't it Malachite? :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

To which I respond ...take a good look at a chunk of malachite in its mineral state and see how OVS Bulleid and the Southern Railway board matched that up.The 'g' word did not pass my lips.......WW3 starts in 3 min. approx...

• RMweb Gold

To which I respond ...take a good look at a chunk of malachite in its mineral state and see how OVS Bulleid and the Southern Railway board matched that up.The 'g' word did not pass my lips.......WW3 starts in 3 min. approx...

Unfortunately the Men in Malachite aren't allowed ICBM launch codes ;) :P

Engine and carriage wise, Hornby have impressed me over the last several years. When it came to wagons though, I was less impressed until Hornby announced their well received SR Maunsell and Bulleid Cattle wagons.

Before this I was always eager for an Southern example regardless of build to add the rake of GWR, LMS and LNER vehicles I owned at the time. I was certainly excited when Hornby announced the Maunsell example and even more when the Bulleid version was confirmed the next day. Whilst I was disappointed in Hornby doing Bulleid first and Maunsell second in SR liveries, I worked with it instead. When the BR Maunsell examples were released, I purchased two and sent them off to be regressed into their SR days. The first one has been done as SR 53748 in pre-36 livery. The second one however I consider the highlight. This one has been done as the last SR Maunsell Cattle wagon built by the SR in March 1939, SR 53928 in post-36 livery. Really looking forward to getting this wagon back :)

post-605-0-98669200-1489779804.jpeg

post-605-0-08545700-1489779811.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

So it does, but it's a slippery devil. When mine headed off outside the shed and never come back, I always knew I would find it slipping merrily on a 29 inch radius loop.

Have had a number of these, I tend to agree about them being a little light-footed - they certainly didn't like long rakes of Bachmann Mk1's. They also went on a weight loss program, the first batch (R24**) had a large lump of metal in the front of the boiler/smoke-box with a slot in it for a decoder, this weight was omitted on the later batches. In fact the last batch were even lighter, as they had the satan's plug and dcc socket (with provision for sound) in the tender.

I think whatever was Hornby's best ever model, has just been blown to smithereens probably by an Airfix 1:24th scale Typhoon - on behalf of the Hornby's new Original Merchant Navy...

attachicon.gif21c1_rhfan.jpg

Hornby did listen and put (Original) on the box rather than Un-rebuilt!

Call me a heretic if you like, but the Ur Merchant Navies are the dullest and most uninteresting steam locos I've ever seen.  The visual design is almost as bad as the Metrovic CO-BO and THAT is the pits.....

Hat, coat, etc.

• RMweb Gold

Call me a heretic if you like, but the Ur Merchant Navies are the dullest and most uninteresting steam locos I've ever seen.  The visual design is almost as bad as the Metrovic CO-BO and THAT is the pits.....

Hat, coat, etc.

Heretic's used to get burnt at the stake if memory serves, I'm sure the Men in Malachite will only be to happy to get you nice and toasty ;) :P

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the Q1.

And I didn't mention the "Leader"*, or the Peat fired lumps designed for CIÉ.......

* Though thinking about it, thats perhaps where Metropolitan Vickers got the idea for styling their diesel abomination.

Ha!  I spit on the Men In Malachite!  Their fathers  were turnips and their mothers wastepaper baskets!  :jester:

... Perhaps the Ecudorean Embassy has a spare room I could hide in?

• RMweb Gold

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the Q1.

And I didn't mention the "Leader"*, or the Peat fired lumps designed for CIÉ.......

* Though thinking about it, thats perhaps where Metropolitan Vickers got the idea for styling their diesel abomination.

Ha!  I spit on the Men In Malachite!  Their fathers  were turnips and their mothers wastepaper baskets!  :jester:

... Perhaps the Ecudorean Embassy has a spare room I could hide in?

They'll be waiting for you in whatever Embassy has a spare room you hide in.... no where on the planet will be safe ... correction no where in the solar system will be a safe.. they will find you :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Nothing crusty about the 52xx class.

No there isn't, just they seem to like being dirty and care-worn - at least on my workbench  :jester:

I soooooo like the look of that 21C3 - totally the wrong era for me yet totally appealing too!

The force is strong with them and resistance is futile - rule one it's your railway, you can run what you want  :sungum:  :jester: