Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

For those have doubts about Hornby's GWR green, this green is unaltered from original Canon camera rendition mostly natural light, some tungsten..  Canon EOS-M with 2:1 adaptor and 50mm EF macro lens.

Well, darkened ever so slightly, 9% to be precise, and lots of other bits painted or pasted here and there.

GWR glory 1930-style.  

I cannot find words to express how impressive these engines were and are!     :)

post-7929-0-20874600-1448934963_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Rob....great image.However....at the risk of repeating myself and.in common wuth a substantial number of others here,the colour is is too light in shade and needs more "life" in it.That does not detract from it being a fine model.It would be even better with the correct shade.....which I can remember. I saw them all.No doubt about it.I would not have made a representation to the Hornby team on Saturday were it otherwise.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob....great image.However....at the risk of repeating myself and.in common wuth a substantial number of others here,the colour is is too light in shade and needs more "life" in it.That does not detract from it being a fine model.It would be even better with the correct shade.....which I can remember. I saw them all.No doubt about it.I would not have made a representation to the Hornby team on Saturday were it otherwise.

We'll know who to blame if Hornby change the green and everyone starts moaning about it  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, good to have opinions from 'one who was there' for post-war/BR , and I suspect a shade or two darker would be nearer the mark for the clean GW/WR engines in particular.

I bow to you and Coachmann for guidance, really! Also have a lot of books, some colour, a few high quality oil reproductions too, the last being a good guide.

My photography and picture-making is a bit hit-and-miss, being mostly adjacent-window-light, helped by a reading lamp and computer manipulation of brightness, contrast, colour balance and so on...   just like printing a book, very tricky.

I also subscribe to the faded look generally because that was how the real railways where I grew up here in NZ looked in the steam era, which ended in 1968-71.  except when engines were cleaned, or just overhauled. Oddly we never got faded smokeboxes on our engines, different paint or different construction I guess.

We never quite got quite the same degree of neglect which BR Standards suffered, but close!

Today I am doing a 3/4 front view from the fireman's side of double chimney late-BR King 6029, we shall see how it turns out. :)

edit 6029 not 6028  too much reading about 35028!

Edited by robmcg

We'll know who to blame if Hornby change the green and everyone starts moaning about it  :jester:  :jester:

Lets see who moans about this then. :)

I must point out that the model arrived from Hornby with no smokebox dart, and the picture has a false one added.

post-7929-0-03875400-1449088989_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

For the correct appearance of BR Brunswick green we must, as always, look to the Southern Region for guidance.   :)

post-7929-0-68347300-1449178442_thumb.jpg

here is another version ....  Spamcan at night...

post-7929-0-74407100-1449179254_thumb.jpg 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

I have adapted an Oxford Adams radial 415 tank engine to be the Hornby version of 30584, with suitable ex-LSWR carriage...  with a lot of editing I hasten to add, the actual differences are beyond my modelling skills.  

Can't wait for Hornby's version of both! :)

edit; I think I got the dome, the slide bars, and wheels nearly right. Is that daylight under the boiler?

I am sure the 1-in-40 grades and sharp curves of the Axminster-Lyme Regis line allowed occasional drama.

meanwhile shall make a weathered 700 class look the bee's knees...

post-7929-0-20939700-1449430270_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have adapted an Oxford Adams radial 415 tank engine to be the Hornby version of 30584, with suitable ex-LSWR carriage...  with a lot of editing I hasten to add, the actual differences are beyond my modelling skills.  

Can't wait for Hornby's version of both! :)

edit; I think I got the dome, the slide bars, and wheels nearly right. Is that daylight under the boiler?

I am sure the 1-in-40 grades and sharp curves of the Axminster-Lyme Regis line allowed occasional drama.

meanwhile shall make a weathered 700 class look the bee's knees...

attachicon.gif30584_Adams_radial_SR_portrait1_11a_full_r1200.jpg

Those men in Malachite Green and Sunshine Yellow striped robes, are at this moment boarding a specially chartered plane (see below) and heading for the colonies..  :jester:  :jester:

The Hornby version has daylight under the boiler, by the looks of things.

Time to unleash the big guns...

post-7000-0-94670400-1449434288_thumb.jpg

(will be Lord Roberts at some point)

post-7000-0-25771200-1449434366_thumb.jpg

(currently at the 40 hour mark in construction - according to the Airfix website it should take 3 hours!!)

Oh and I raise you a Blackmotor ;)

post-7000-0-90851500-1449434551_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I like the aeroplane, having made a few many years ago. Although mine were Wellingtons and Lancasters of hazy memory now!

Also the Black Motor, lovely engine, the later boiler/smokebox gives it, um, character..

Here is a Hornby-weathered version, perhaps working a Wimborne local from Southampton, but with a rather loose version of the scenery.

post-7929-0-06933800-1449517852_thumb.jpg

I recall some time ago you had a lovely weathered B1 for sale, I didn't bid because I already owned this version of 61243 'Sir Harold Mitchell'.

Perhaps this is Hornby's 'best ever'?

post-7929-0-00217500-1449518049_thumb.jpg

On the other hand, Hornby are remaindering their weathered K1s for pennies now.  And it can be made to look damn good too, with sympathetic editing of course. Photo shown somewhere before but I'm shameless.

post-7929-0-64075400-1449518402_thumb.jpg

Finally just to put to rest the debate about Hornby's rendition of BR Brunswick green, 34041 'Wilton' in Somerset and Dorset Bournemouth-based days. About as Brunswick green as you can get. In afternoon sun of course.

post-7929-0-17389700-1449518542_thumb.jpg

And 34107 west of Exeter...  also in BR green.   That should settle the matter.

post-7929-0-18872400-1449518742_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

And just in case you forgot what Hornby is up against, here is a real model, made in 1990 by Ajin of Korea in brass for £440.

NZR Ka class No.944 4-8-4 spent most of its life at Taumaranui working the 22 miles uncompensated 1-in-50 up to Nation Park including the Raurimu Spiral.

Also capable of sustaining 55mph with 400-ton express trains. 3' 6" gauge. 11'6" height, 8'6" width, many tight tunnels!

Real railways.   :)

post-7929-0-17727000-1449521390_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

And just in case you forgot what Hornby is up against, here is a real model, made in 1990 by Ajin of Korea in brass for £440.

NZR Ka class No.944 4-8-4 spent most of its life at Taumaranui working the 22 miles uncompensated 1-in-50 up to Nation Park including the Raurimu Spiral.

Also capable of sustaining 55mph with 400-ton express trains. 3' 6" gauge. 11'6" height, 8'6" width, many tight tunnels!

Real railways. :)

944 _Ka_NZR_paekok_31ab_r1200.jpg

My goodness our locomotives are ugly compared to the UK locomotives

Well our beautiful NZR K, Ka, and Kb 4-8-4s were no A4s.

But an A4 wouldn't have been much good in keeping a 350-ton goods train going at walking pace on the Raurimu Spiral or the Cass Bank!   :)  For compact power the NZR engines had few equals. 65 tons adhesive weight and a grate larger than a Coronation at 47.7 sq.ft all inside the 11'6" x 8'6" loading gauge, they could work! I spent literally weeks of my life behind them, crews liked them too.

Now to decide which A4 to buy in 1935 guise!  Methinks the A4 had better speed than the Ka...     Kenneth Leech reckoned the A4 really felt right at 92mph... a GWR King slightly slower at 88mph, and a Castle had to be driven hard to sustain speeds over 80 on the level. (Portraits of 'Kings', 1979)  He was talking about sustained and comfortable speed, where the engine 'felt right', and doing perfectly what it was designed to do. He drove and fired all the Kings and many of the other comparable engines, his opinion has value.

edit; p.s. thankyou Stationmaster for the reference to 'Portraits of Kings' book by Bryan Holden and Kenneth Leech, it cost me £1 second hand via Amazon and even has a lovely old book smell! It's an excellent reference book  for year-by-year changes to the King class.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

As ugly as they are, I do enjoy visiting the Pleasant Point Railway her in Timaru. Our engines are Definitely well suited to the New Zealand roads.

Those Portrait books are brilliant aren't they. I have all 3. Great reference books for the GWR.

Edited by Hilux5972

Well Hilux5972 your reference to beautiful engines has made me buy LNER A4 Silver Link 2511 to go with my 2509...   mainly because as a kid in the 1950s I dreamed of a Hornby Dublo BR 'Silver Link'...  and the silver/grey A4 version really is a beautiful engine.

Also stretched to an LBSC E4 by Bachmann... £69 from Kernows,   a good price methinks, and will maybe someday go with an H2 Atlantic if Bachmann ever produce it, albeit probably in Southern or BR livery.

Oops thread drift!   Moderator!

• RMweb Premium

Haha. Another one bites the dust lol. I'll be buying all 4 of the silver A4's. I'm a GWR man through and through, albeit the BR years of the WR, but the A4's just have that something about them. Hobby City has one of the Great Gathering and Great Goodbye sets in stock so I'm planning, funds permitting of course, to buy both sets so I can run one set and have the other on display in the cabinet. Maybe having both cabinets I will have to get a 2nd set of Silver A4's and put one of them in the cabinet too.

• Like 1

Another beautiful engine, the B17.  Will be a challenge to get the weathering on that one a bit more real, 

Here is one which was I think a special edition, with my photo-trickery.

They do come up nice!   :)    But I am in A4 silver era mode today... straightening handrails, tidying bogie-front shields, that kind of thing.

post-7929-0-01142400-1449693290_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

I spent some time looking at pics of A4 details for the first 4 silver versions 2509-12 and found several variations in handrail shape at the cab end, straight, tightly-curved down, and more like the eventual slowly curved-down versions.

Other things I changed for the pics are dust shields on front of bogie, top lamp bracket raised a tad, and a smokebox or superheater plate-thing to the lower right chimney area, and larger maintenance flap doors over drivers.

This is how 2509 might have looked by 1936-7... subject to me finding out more facts of course.

Stunning model!  

post-7929-0-40182800-1449699184_thumb.jpg

• Like 6