Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

All the masking removed, coupling rods 'oiled' and tender wheels (and front set of bogie wheels) removed/sprayed/refitted (and paint cleaned off the tyres and back faces for electrical contact with the track). Job done.

attachicon.gif6008_lhfan.jpg

attachicon.gif6008_rh.jpg

And yes I did give the green a few coats of satin varnish before weathering ;)

Looking through "Castles and Kings at Work" by Michael Rutherford this morning, and was struck by the similarity of your weathering scheme for 6008 with a lovely picture (in the group of pictures associated with chapter 4) of 6007, "King William III" with double chimney and early crest in a filthy state that bordered on the "completely uncared for".

More muck, MORE MUCK!!!!

• Like 1

:offtopic: There’s uncared for and uncared for. I recall an article in a railway annual many years ago. The writer described being invited to join a run near the end of steam. The 9F was filthy but the fitters had been over it and there wasn’t a wisp of steam escaping from anywhere it shouldn’t.

When the train started off, the writer was handed a shovel and he, the fireman and the inspector shovelled for all they were worth. The signalman apparently remarked, “It’s coming on quickly. Must be a diesel on today.” Then, “It’s coming quickly, even for a diesel.” A thrilling account of a fantastic run.

Filth doesn’t always mean uncared for.

With Hornby's current financial woes I am reminded of the quality of some of their lesser-known models, in this case the Royal Scot series, as well as rebuilt Patriots, all have a plethora of small detail differences.

The boiler feed pipe, front buffer size, various cab and tender styles, and that chimney...!  

Here is 6119 'Lancashire Fusilier' a wartime rebuild, based on 6133 'The Green Howards', in early rebuild-condition, edited picture, but what a great model!

post-7929-0-62549700-1455509481_thumb.jpg

then wrong-line-working in west Yorkshire, about 1947...

post-7929-0-24256400-1455509548_thumb.jpg

and 6133 him/herself....  :)

post-7929-0-02755300-1455509762_thumb.jpg

Bravo Hornby!

• Like 4

My own rule 2 was: never buy a new model of a class when you already have a model of that class. I liked the names of these Hornby offerings, so broke the rule. They were so good that I abandoned the rule altogether. Shame about the green ones though, the finish wasn’t very appealing.

• RMweb Gold

With Hornby's current financial woes I am reminded of the quality of some of their lesser-known models, in this case the Royal Scot series, as well as rebuilt Patriots, all have a plethora of small detail differences.

The boiler feed pipe, front buffer size, various cab and tender styles, and that chimney...!  

Here is 6119 'Lancashire Fusilier' a wartime rebuild, based on 6133 'The Green Howards', in early rebuild-condition, edited picture, but what a great model!

attachicon.gif6119_LMS_Royal_Scot_Portrait30_2a_full_r1200.jpg

then wrong-line-working in west Yorkshire, about 1947...

attachicon.gif6119_Royal_Scot_frosty_morning2_2abcde_r1200.jpg

and 6133 him/herself....   :)

attachicon.gif6133_Royal_Scot_portrait_4ab_crop2a_r1200.jpg

Bravo Hornby!

Nothing like a bit of deja vu concerning Hornby's financial woes - it's so last year lol.

post-7000-0-98167700-1455555028_thumb.jpg

The latest O1 renumbered and re-crested.. and yes the running plate was straight.

I have an A3 in the works, unfortunately the etched plates where spelt wrong (Cainsborouch - not Gainsborough), so I'm awaiting the correct plates.

While the A3 awaits it correct plates, a K1 is in the paintshop (one of those awful weathered ones) and a B17 is on the workbench...

... once my sanity has returned there's a whole lot of Southern (and Western) going on ;)

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 4

My own rule 2 was: never buy a new model of a class when you already have a model of that class. I liked the names of these Hornby offerings, so broke the rule. They were so good that I abandoned the rule altogether. Shame about the green ones though, the finish wasn’t very appealing.

I wonder whether Hornby made a profit on all the rebuilt Royal Scot/Patriot models, there were so many of them and often identical but for number and name?

• RMweb Gold

I wonder whether Hornby made a profit on all the rebuilt Royal Scot/Patriot models, there were so many of them and often identical but for number and name?

They probably have, as the tender was from existing tooling and there are other parts common to both.

In the meantime another loco, passes the finish line...

post-7000-0-08154500-1455643595_thumb.jpg

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 4

They probably have, as the tender was from existing tooling and there are other parts common to both.

In the meantime another loco, passes the finish line...

attachicon.gif62037_rhfan.jpg

Excellent! 

I am now looking at a factory-weathered rebuilt Patriot 'Bunsen' and Royal Scot 'King's Royal Rifle Corps'... for some photos, not to mention a Duke of Gloucester 1960 R3236 lightly weathered by TMC to arrive sometime in a week or two.

here is my digitally enhanced R3191 main-range Duke from a couple of years ago, just to keep the page warm.   :)

post-7929-0-21468900-1455769463_thumb.jpg

in my humble opinion the DoG R1177 (from set) or R3168, both RR versions are good value models from Hornby at around £60 and an extra £4 for the accessory pack if you  buy R3168.  Nurse! Where are my pills....?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Very nice - a most impressive loco both in reality and in model form!

Interestingly, a certain "Liverpool" based retailer is offering the main-range TTS DoG (R3244TTS), inclusive of those terrible "etched" nameplates, for a domestic price of £94, which seems a snip, and they have plenty in stock....

I got the RR DoG when it first came out, and the Heritage Rail Pack when another on-line retailer was selling them pretty cheaply.  I may have to get R3244 just so the other two don't feel lonely!

• Like 1

Very nice - a most impressive loco both in reality and in model form!

Interestingly, a certain "Liverpool" based retailer is offering the main-range TTS DoG (R3244TTS), inclusive of those terrible "etched" nameplates, for a domestic price of £94, which seems a snip, and they have plenty in stock....

I got the RR DoG when it first came out, and the Heritage Rail Pack when another on-line retailer was selling them pretty cheaply. I may have to get R3244 just so the other two don't feel lonely!

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear I may of done something really bad, in a moment of insanity (or possibly overcome by paint fumes - I'm decorating), I've gone and acquired a Rood Ashton Hall... for the price of an Olton Hall.

Take another sniff,then. You have the best bargain in r-t-r currently around.Your style of treatment will quickly remedy Hornby 's ghastly paint job ....no worries there.Now of course what naturally comes next are some of Hornby's new Colletts to keep her company....go on,you know it makes sense.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear I may of done something really bad, in a moment of insanity (or possibly overcome by paint fumes - I'm decorating), I've gone and acquired a Rood Ashton Hall... for the price of an Olton Hall.

Compared to the original £100+ rrp for 4965 compared to the £82 for 5972, you definitely got a bargain there. I managed to get my 5972 for £67 minus VAT. Some really good bargains out there if you know where to look lol

• RMweb Gold

Take another sniff,then. You have the best bargain in r-t-r currently around.Your style of treatment will quickly remedy Hornby 's ghastly paint job ....no worries there.Now of course what naturally comes next are some of Hornby's new Colletts to keep her company....go on,you know it makes sense.....

I did have Irwell Press's The Book of the Hall 4-6-0s Part One delivered today..

So that may also have something to do with it!

• RMweb Gold

I did have Irwell Press's The Book of the Hall 4-6-0s Part One delivered today..

So that may also have something to do with it!

The Hall was the finest mixed traffic loco to run on BR.....though the Grange was the choice of WR footplatemen.I had countless journeys behind both...though mainly Halls. One I do remember clearly was a journey from Cardiiff General to Paddington in the early 50's behind Landore's 4937 ' Lanelay Hall'.....a relief to the up 'Red Dragon'. One stop at Newport and then direct to Paddington....in a Collett bow ended coach of course. Mum and Dad and I had a compartment to ourselves all the way. I observed the time honoured ritual of standing in the corridor from Wooton Basset on the approach to Swindon and remember the mounting excitement as The Works came in sight.What would be on view fresh from the paint shop ? Not much time to note the numbers as we tore past." Each a glimpse and gone forever " . Quite a few Halls in good fettle carried the XX above their brass number plates.

I now expect retribution from Stanier 5 addicts. Rightly so too....for he was also a Swindon man.....and the Black 5 a superb design.

• Like 3

The Hall was the finest mixed traffic loco to run on BR.....though the Grange was the choice of WR footplatemen.I had countless journeys behind both...though mainly Halls. One I do remember clearly was a journey from Cardiiff General to Paddington in the early 50's behind Landore's 4937 ' Lanelay Hall'.....a relief to the up 'Red Dragon'. One stop at Newport and then direct to Paddington....in a Collett bow ended coach of course. Mum and Dad and I had a compartment to ourselves all the way. I observed the time honoured ritual of standing in the corridor from Wooton Basset on the approach to Swindon and remember the mounting excitement as The Works came in sight.What would be on view fresh from the paint shop ? Not much time to note the numbers as we tore past." Each a glimpse and gone forever " . Quite a few Halls in good fettle carried the XX above their brass number plates.

I now expect retribution from Stanier 5 addicts. Rightly so too....for he was also a Swindon man.....and the Black 5 a superb design.

Well Ian the Hall suffers exactly the same problem as the Black 5.  In their day they were dare I say it  boring....   except that now I am a fair-minded well-balanced adult,  and modest and self-effacing with it, and I never exaggerate, nor bend the truth,  I can understand the pleasure of details and history, and am prepared to admit that in their [boring] way they were beautifully balanced designs,    even if Maunsell did it first.

edit; I have all 4 or 5 or whatever Irwell Black 5 books, please don't make me buy the Hall opus....

Edited by robmcg

Compared to the original £100+ rrp for 4965 compared to the £82 for 5972, you definitely got a bargain there. I managed to get my 5972 for £67 minus VAT. Some really good bargains out there if you know where to look lol

I too bought the cheaper Hall and a nice thing about my digital manipulation is that I was able to create a Saint from Hornby's Star and Hall combined...

post-7929-0-73797100-1455831619_thumb.jpg

Beautiful models both.  (The Star and Hall I mean)

Moving quickly along to proper engines now, those with the requisite number cylinders to satisfy the most discerning traveller, Hornby's cheap and wonderful Duke of Gloucester seen here on a cool morning with that lighting so characteristic of steam sheds,  with a modicum of photo editing of course.   :)

post-7929-0-22575100-1455850158_thumb.jpg

and only fifty-nine quid, plus deflectors, plus weathering... (Ebay, Peters spares, TMC, )  .... and PSP6 photo-editing software.

edit; any resemblance to Salisbury shed is entirely co-incidental, I'm sure the LMR had similar. Otherwse, Rule One invoked 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that horrific interruption Rob. Now back to proper engines lol. I do believe that the GWR engine men preferred the Granges due to their smaller wheel size, thereby allowing faster acceleration and hill climbing abilities. Add to that they were extremely free steaming machines and they do seem to be one of the stand out designs of the GWR. It's a pity there was only 80 of them. Soon to be 81 of course!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that horrific interruption Rob. Now back to proper engines lol. I do believe that the GWR engine men preferred the Granges due to their smaller wheel size, thereby allowing faster acceleration and hill climbing abilities. Add to that they were extremely free steaming machines and they do seem to be one of the stand out designs of the GWR. It's a pity there was only 80 of them. Soon to be 81 of course!

11 Granges and counting have graced my workbench...

• RMweb Gold

One of my Hornby favorites, I have just altered a Hornby 'Star' with a Castle type reverser and new bogie wheels. Then it was weathered which has the affect of reducing Hornby's bright orange boiler bands....

attachicon.gifWEB Star Princess 5.jpg

Not bad I spose......always thought you were an ex LMS man loike me grrr :jester:  actually it looks absolutely great. especially the motion just how I remember it.

Rgds.......Mike