Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Yes and I saw them all.....apart from that peddled presently by Hornby. Memory still functioning.

Dunno - provided it isn't the soapy green Hornby used to do in the late 70s/80s!

Edited by Hroth

Rob: Oops!

Wasn't trying to teach you to suck eggs, more just explaining where I was coming from.  My first camera was a Box-Tengor from a jumble sale, and I learned black and white d&p by trial and error too, before working my way through the film formats to a 5x4 view camera. Knowing how demanding that is for landscape work, I take my hat off to the 30s photographers who used similar equipment to take pictures of moving trains!

Oh go on - do at least one "box camera" snap!

Oh I'm sure something will eventuate which pays homage to the days of not-so-brilliant cameras!   :)  I do like to create a pleasant effect which certainly does not always need to sharp.

edit; Actually there are photo effect programs in Paint Shop Pro  which re-create the faded prints of the 50s, also blurred edges, the whole gamut of error and/or cheap cameras, but to make things sharp with my original view of the model and then to purposely blur it, to a degree, hmmmm, maybe.  If it looks right.  

Edited by robmcg

I've been following this thread since it started, and thought I should add a comment. Rob asked what we thought was Hornby's best ever model, and many of their post 2001 offerings have been praised, either for their fidelity to prototype or their running quality. Over this period I have liked the Rebuilt MN (not the best by present standards, but the one that really set the ball rolling); the Gresley pacifics and the 08.  However, I suggest that we should go back much further to find Hornby's best ever model. It was  nowhere near present standards of accuracy or running quality, but it showed what might be possible in an era of steamroller wheels and X04 motors. when Hornby Dublo was held up as the running standard to aspire to.  I'm thinking of the original "Evening Star" model, with its pancake tender drive motor, built to show that the haulage and running qualities of the Fleishmann BR52 were possible in a British outline model. It showed the then Triang-Hornby what might be possible, and, although there were retrograde steps and times when they rested on their laurels, the breed started to improve over the years. The standards of today seemed unobtainable back then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was 34005 Barnstaple identical to Bude? If so I could renumber and rename Bude as a companion for my Hornby Dublo rebuilt Barnstaple.

Not as it stands;  neither Barnstaple or Yeovil ran with cut-down tenders until they were rebuilt.

Unfortunately, It's not just a matter of getting hold of a high-sided tender body as the loco lining also changed when the tenders were altered. 

Mind you, the tender with the HD Barnstaple is of a type that 34005 never ran with so what the heck!

However, having gone to the trouble and expense of producing the tooling for this variant of the light pacific, Hornby will want to get more out of it and I think we're likely to see one or the other produced in the fullness of time. 

John

EDIT: If you don't mind the 1948 Interchange Trials version of Bude, with its mismatched LMS tender, 34005 also ran like that at the time so the older model would be OK to use.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Not as it stands;  neither Barnstaple or Yeovil ran with cut-down tenders until they were rebuilt.

Unfortunately, It's not just a matter of getting hold of a high-sided tender body as the loco lining also changed when the tenders were altered. 

Mind you, the tender with the HD Barnstaple is of a type that 34005 never ran with so what the heck!

However, having gone to the trouble and expense of producing the tooling for this variant of the light pacific, Hornby will want to get more out of it and I think we're likely to see one or the other produced in the fullness of time. 

John

EDIT: If you don't mind the 1948 Interchange Trials version of Bude, with its mismatched LMS tender, 34005 also ran like that at the time so the older model would be OK to use.

If it's a case of wanting to rename two air-smoothed West Countries and you don't want change lining there is another way...

For Example.

Bude - remove deflectors and identity

Exeter - remove deflectors (errant AWS Battery Box) & identity

Fit extra long deflectors to Exeter donor and rename as either Barnstaple or Yeovil or Bude.

Fit standard deflectors to Bude donor and rename to suit (has to be one with a crest)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely models toboldlygo.  So good to see proper engines back at last!   No running plate issues here!

No assembly issues of any sort, all the lining is suitably thin, unlike on the last SK release of Exeter. Green appears darker too and oh yes (awaiting the cries of No it's a limited edition) Manston will becoming another BofB  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely models toboldlygo.  So good to see proper engines back at last!   No running plate issues here!

Issues,Rob? No worries,we'll find some.Meantime,like James,I am well pleased.Now....for Big Ears Bude,I think.I have the Loco Exchanges example...the one in sunshine malachite.I know TBG is no fan of that livery.It isn't malachite anyway.....nothing like the colour of the mineral .

• RMweb Gold

No assembly issues of any sort, all the lining is suitably thin, unlike on the last SK release of Exeter. Green appears darker too and oh yes (awaiting the cries of No it's a limited edition) Manston will becoming another BofB  :jester:  :jester:

I put it next to City Of Wells this afternoon....near enough..lining a tad thicker though.Glad you think the green is nearer the mark....I thought so but dare not say so in case I was hallucinating

How about Hawkinge or Hurricane? Apparently,the latter was a notoriously bad steamer....bit like me really...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I put it next to City Of Wells this afternoon....near enough..lining a tad thicker though.Glad you think the green is nearer the mark....I thought so but dare not say so in case I was hallucinating

How about Hawkinge or Hurricane? Apparently,the latter was a notoriously bad steamer....bit like me really...

Already done Hawkinge & Hurricane twice lol

Probably be Lord B..., like Manston lost it's tender raves in late 62/early 63 ;)

With all this re-naming going on, I have dug out my pic of one of the 2 or 3 unrebuilt Light Pacifics which made it to the end of main line steam on BR in July 1967. Sad, sad days.

34102 'Lapford' in something like final form. 

post-7929-0-02044100-1450913157_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Are you trying to tell me that my 2 SK-made Exeters are not perfect?  

There goes my retirement fund.  ...  Mind you, as a special last one time only offer you may have them both for £175.     each.

• RMweb Gold

Not Hurricane, I'd guess; she was one of the three that had their tenders cut down as early as 1952. (The others being Tavistock and Combe Martin). 

John

Here is another model which is free of A3 running plate/boiler assembly woes...   70044 'Earl Haig' recently outshopped.

Below that a proper green paint job...

post-7929-0-24535300-1450913561_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-73515600-1450913654_thumb.jpg

Cheers and have a good Xmas everyone here has gone mad. It must be the heat you know.

• Like 6

I've been following this thread since it started, and thought I should add a comment. Rob asked what we thought was Hornby's best ever model, and many of their post 2001 offerings have been praised, either for their fidelity to prototype or their running quality. Over this period I have liked the Rebuilt MN (not the best by present standards, but the one that really set the ball rolling); the Gresley pacifics and the 08.  However, I suggest that we should go back much further to find Hornby's best ever model. It was  nowhere near present standards of accuracy or running quality, but it showed what might be possible in an era of steamroller wheels and X04 motors. when Hornby Dublo was held up as the running standard to aspire to.  I'm thinking of the original "Evening Star" model, with its pancake tender drive motor, built to show that the haulage and running qualities of the Fleishmann BR52 were possible in a British outline model. It showed the then Triang-Hornby what might be possible, and, although there were retrograde steps and times when they rested on their laurels, the breed started to improve over the years. The standards of today seemed unobtainable back then.

Food for thought, certainly.

I think for me might be the B1 because it represents the best standard of modelling I have seen from any 00 RTR manufacturer yet, and appears to be free of weaknesses or drawbacks. Rather mundane prototype but when weathered it would get my vote. I was away from model railways between 1967 and 2004 so have great gaps in knowledge and appreciation.

Here is my pic of  a Hornby B1 with not much editing.

post-7929-0-03881800-1450914244_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

With all this re-naming going on, I have dug out my pic of one of the 2 or 3 unrebuilt Light Pacifics which made it to the end of main line steam on BR in July 1967. Sad, sad days.

34102 'Lapford' in something like final form. 

attachicon.gif34102_Bulleid_WC_Shed_last_days_1967_1abcde_r1200.jpg

where is the 'Love' button......?

• RMweb Premium

Lovely models toboldlygo. So good to see proper engines back at last! No running plate issues here!

Hard to have running plate issues with a square body haha. Not to mention there isn't a running plate lol. Good to see the green has come back to a more acceptable colour!

Edited by Hilux5972

Another fine rebuilt West Country, certainly a contender for 'best ever', and great that it is back in production!

34013 'Okehampton', built 10/1945,rebuilt 10/1957, lasted to the very end of SR main line steam 9/7/67.

post-7929-0-54172300-1451162493_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2