Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Hence always look for photographs of your intended victim.

The only mismatch of a narrow cab, wide tender that turns up in the records that I can find, is Royal Observer Corps which ran with a 5,500gl tender for several months in 1956 while still in her Air-Smoothed form.

Very naughty!

A quick dig through the tender table in Mr Derry's book reveals that the tenders of 34050 and 34096 'Trevone' were exchanged at Brighton in March/April (presumably in error) and that they were swapped back at Bricklayers Arms in the July.

It can't have been easy to get them back together, because 34050 is listed as a Salisbury loco at the time with 34096 shedded at Ramsgate!

Definitely one for the 'you couldn't make it up' file........

John  

• RMweb Gold

There's also the strange case of 253 Squadron, according to the same book,shows her quite clearly with a 5,500gl tender after her little tumble and that it was swapped after this for a cutdown one. However I found a picture of her in 1958 with 4,500gl tender with raves and a late crest!! Much banging of head!!

• RMweb Gold

There's also the strange case of 253 Squadron, according to the same book,shows her quite clearly with a 5,500gl tender after her little tumble and that it was swapped after this for a cutdown one. However I found a picture of her in 1958 with 4,500gl tender with raves and a late crest!! Much banging of head!!

Very odd, but fortunately, not one of my target locos!

Judging from pictures of other Bulleids, 1958 seems a bit early for a high sided tender with late crest. Is the tender noticeably cleaner than the loco? Application of late crest usually followed a repaint (but never say never.......)

4500g tenders were pretty notorious for leaking so a possible theory is that, if a tender needed repairs but the loco was OK, a short term loan of a tender from a loco undergoing overhaul would keep it in traffic.

If this sort of swap did happen, it would be short-lived (a week, maybe two at most), and thus more likely to go unrecorded. Even if it were a common occurrence, it would not be apparent from photographs except when the tenders were of different types.

I have, more than once, been led astray by published captions that turned out to be incorrect; they aren't always written by the original photographer and dates are sometimes inferred from other features visible in the picture.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Very odd, but fortunately, not one of my target locos!

Judging from pictures of other Bulleids, 1958 seems a bit early for a high sided tender with late crest. Is the tender noticeably cleaner than the loco? Application of late crest usually followed a repaint (but never say never.......)

4500g tenders were pretty notorious for leaking so a possible theory is that, if a tender needed repairs but the loco was OK, a short term loan of a tender from a loco undergoing overhaul would keep it in traffic.

If this sort of swap did happen, it would be short-lived (a week, maybe two at most), and less thus more likely to go unrecorded. Even if it were a common occurrence, it would not be apparent from photographs except when the tenders were of different types.

I have, more than once, been led astray by published captions that turned out to be incorrect; they aren't always written by the original photographer and dates are sometimes inferred from other features visible in the picture.

John

Sorry it was 1959 not 58, I was just going out the door to work lol

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/faversham%202.htm

Back to the real world...

I don't think the first LMS Black 5 was cleaned up for an official photo like this, but better late than never.

post-7929-0-80015600-1396155752_thumb.jpg

but not to be outdone,

post-7929-0-54414200-1396063874_thumb.jpg

edit; inspection cover on Black 5 cylinder removed.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Back to the real world...

I don't think the first LMS Black 5 was cleaned up for an official photo like this, but better late than never.

As a matter of interest I think 5020 was the first LMS Black Five into service, not that it's important, love the pics!

Looking at Winston Churchill, I must rename one of my Bulleids as 21C151.

Moving the workshop to the back bedroom at present - one of my daft ideas. It'll be nice when its finished (in 2016!).

Subsequently production has slowed to a crawling pace ... and I have a brick wall to build in the garden too.

I think I'll by a flat and give it a go with the knitting, so much less hassle.

Glenn

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a matter of interest I think 5020 was the first LMS Black Five into service, not that it's important, love the pics!

Moving the workshop to the back bedroom at present - one of my daft ideas. It'll be nice when its finished (in 2016!).

Subsequently production has slowed to a crawling pace ... and I have a brick wall to build in the garden too.

Glenn

Don't forget the rocking chair ;)

Glenn

Yes there is one thing clear, maker's official photos and engine numbers were not always what they seemed to be. The works photo of 5000 on p14-15 of Irwell's book shows a wide-spaced LMS lettering 4000 gal tender and other things ... 5020 on p15 shows something nearer my pic but external feed pipe on the boiler. My pic also currently has inspection plate on cylinder cover.

But I did get the gravity sanders right for pre-1939. And the cross-bar vacuum pump.

I think I'll take up knitting too...

or do a pic of 45458 in weathered late crest BR form... you can get away with almost anything in BR days. 'Unrecorded'. <g>

The two weathered DoGs haven't even been opened yet!

Edited by robmcg

All credit to Hornby, they even got the early Black 5 LMS era lined cab-window surrounds right, and the very fine red lining everywhere is superb, in 2002! better than the recent red Duchesses!

Edit; removed cylinder inspection plate, and one thing probably not noticed at a glance, I had to shift the top lamp bracket back up to top of smokebox from the 3 o'clock position on the model... is 5000 still running in preserved form?

Edit 2 ah NRM York after running 1979-80s

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

... is 5000 still running in preserved form?

Edit 2 ah NRM York after running 1979-80s

She's in the NRM Locomotion Museum at Shildon Rob, bearing 'Royal Train' Headcode and displayed with one of the vintage Royal coaches.

I travelled behind her on The Severn Valley railway back in the 1970s.

Regards,

John

Thankyou John,

Much as admire the Black 5, I must confess an affection for the Bulleid Pacifics, seen here again in clean condition, which rumour has it happened occasionally... 34051 'Winston Churchill' again, not sure if the cut-down tender means it should have ATC. But impressive.

post-7929-0-39079200-1396224559_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely work. As to the T9 pic you sent, it's 'on the list' of things to do... currently enjoying a wartime black streamlined Duchess...

The even as I write this Duchess of Anbercorn has arrived on my doorstep, so it's all express engines for a while here! None of this everyday 01 stuff! <g>

I will advise later if Abercorn runs and looks good, there always seem to be horror stories here on RMweb when a new model is released, but so far I've never had a bad 'un...

post-7929-0-41344200-1396387110.jpg

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work. As to the T9 pic you sent, it's 'on the list' of things to do... currently enjoying a wartime black streamlined Duchess...

The even as I write this Duchess of Anbercorn has arrived on my doorstep, so it's all express engines for a while here! None of this everyday 01 stuff! <g>

I will advise later if Abercorn runs and looks good, there always seem to be horror stories here on RMweb when a new model is released, but so far I've never had a bad 'un...

attachicon.gifImg_3630a_r800.jpg

No rush and thanks again

Something express like (and large and green) on my workbench at the moment ;)

Nothing like a good Horror Story: Friday the 13th Part XIX: Jason takes Margate  :jester:  :jester: or perhaps Freddies Barwell Nightmare  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

seems ok... will look better with steps and hoses, I have already chopped front of front bogie off and tidied the background..

amazing delivery from Hattons to NZ in 3 working days. Lovely.

post-7929-0-17249400-1396389670.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One from the early days of the Super Detail era and totally eclipsed by it's slightly smaller and more exquisite cousins the Grange and the Castle - the King Class.

post-7000-0-32296400-1396981555_thumb.jpg

6007 King William III

Back to the Southern Region, with a Loco much admired and mentioned in earlier posts on this thread - the M7 Class (this one is the short frame variety, no pull-push equipment)

post-7000-0-77659800-1396981518_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, the P2 will make for marvellous scenes.. Pre-WW2 steam engineering at its finest?

I cannot decide which of these is better... 6234 received deflectors in March 1946 and went to early BR lined black in October 1949 according to Irwell, being LMS crimson through the period except perhaps an experimental grey in 1946?

Deflectors from Hornby Duchess of Sutherland, at least in a virtual sense.

post-7929-0-15418400-1396994265_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

couldn't resist this 1946 WCML express scene...

..something of the essence of being a kid in the 1950s and seeing similar at speed. And memory of a battered Hornby Dublo 'Duchess of Atholl'.

post-7929-0-33346500-1397024380_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg

Abercorn was LMS experimental grey from 16th March 1946 (when she also received smoke deflectors) until 26th October 1948 when she was painted BR lined black. This is according to LMS Locomotive Profiles 11. Duchess of Sutherland was the only Duchess to be Crimson Lake and have deflectors, she was like this for just over a year (24 Aug 46 - 28 Oct 47) then was painted my personal favorite Duchess livery, post war lined black. Also I have seen a few photos of Abercorn in experimental grey dated 1947 so I can safely say she was like that with Deflectors in LMS days. Hope this helps

Ah well, it's just as well I did the photo without deflectors too!    Although I could change the name to Duchess of Sutherland, it will have to remain a 'what could have been' pic for the moment.

Thanks for the details.  Irwell mention the experimental grey in a caption, but didn't so far as I could see there was no mention of the duration of the 'colour'.

here is something more authentically done, probably pre-war given the cleanliness of our engine.

post-7929-0-82528200-1397078312_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3